Help with strange noise.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Averjoe

Help with strange noise.

Post by Averjoe »

I just purchased a 2007 Vibe and it is making an odd noise. It is constant, though it seems to vary a tiny bit with RPM. It is very noticeable in the car, but not outside the car or under the hood. So, I thought I'd post a video and see if anyone could identify it. It's sort of a whine/howl? It's quite loud, though it is a little more pronounced in the video than IRL. My best guess at the moment is the belt tensioner pully is going out, but I figured I'd throw it out there and see if the hivemind had any other suggestions before I go chasing this wild goose.

Anyway, here's the link and TIA.

https://youtu.be/q6YT6g1NDIE
Caretaker

Re: Help with strange noise.

Post by Caretaker »

I hear a constant whirl which sounds like a pulley or the water pump. Has the latter ever been replaced?
Averjoe

Post by Averjoe »

*hangs head and sighs* I didn't even think about the water pump. I'm trying to find out from the original owner if it has been changed, but I suspect it has not been. Looks like I have a fun weekend project. Any recommendation on brands, or does it matter?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'll let a smarter person on these boards opine about a particular brand. That's the sort of repair that I'd go to Pep Boys to replace in order to get a nice warrantee should anything go wrong over time. But regarding the water pump, with a strong flashlight, do you see any pink residue or seepage underneath the pump? Notice any lowering of the coolant in the overflow jug indicating a coolant leak normally associated with the water pump? Plenty of you tube videos on the topic should you require:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JC3Gkke5P8
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

If it makes the noise when the engine is cold, then my first step would be to run the cold engine a little with the serpentine belt removed. That will tell you if it is coming from something driven by the belt or not.

Obviously you don't want to run it long with the belt removed.
Averjoe

Post by Averjoe »

I already watched a few videos on changing the water pump. It doesn't look like too bad of a job. Luckily, it doesn't involve many tools since the majority or mine are a thousand miles away with my sons. However, there is no seepage or evidence of any, and no loss of coolant. Maybe it's the tensioner or idler pulley after all. *shrug*

I may try running it briefly without the belt, and I'm going to pick up a mechanics stethoscope tomorrow and take a good listen to everything. Hopefully that will reveal the culprit.
Averjoe

Post by Averjoe »

Yep, took the mechanic stethoscope to it today and it is definitely the water pump. :cry:
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

;)