New brakes brake-in

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Bobsec2010

New brakes brake-in

Post by Bobsec2010 »

How many of you are doing a brake-in to their new brakes? What are the real benefits and why?
cptnsolo77

Re: New brakes brake-in

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I have been using Akebono pads. They do not require break in. Just slap them on ! of course use brake lube and check those caliper pins :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I too only use Akebono pads; they are brilliant. I did not know that they don't require the break in procedure, nor have I ever done the break in procedure in over 40 years of driving for that matter.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I always do a break in on my brakes. I want to make sure everything is working to it full potential and to find any issues. Making sure that the shoe face is fully in contact with the rotor or drum.

This was very important to do when you have drum brakes, as the shoes will not have good contact with the drum. Also with drum brakes, you must do several forward and reverse stops the work the automatic brake adjusters after manually adjusting the brake shoes and breaking them in.

With rotors the pins, slides, calipers, and mounts wear, which can cause the brake pad face to not be squared up to the rotor face. That causes the pads to not make full contact until they are worn in and that will increase your stopping distance
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Caretaker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:30 am I too only use Akebono pads; they are brilliant. I did not know that they don't require the break in procedure, nor have I ever done the break in procedure in over 40 years of driving for that matter.
They are great pads. Scotty Kilmer recommended 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on