How many members are over 55 and still have a stick as their daily driver/2nd car.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
countryfarmboy

How many members are over 55 and still have a stick as their daily driver/2nd car.

Post by countryfarmboy »

I've been driving a stick sense I was 19, then got married and sold most of my cars with sticks, I'm now 58. I just picked up a 2004 Vibe GT 6 speed to drive to save on gas over my 2003 Suburban which averages 15 mpg. The vibe is so large inside and I'm going to name it miniburb. I'm thinking of selling my wife's 2007 Acadia and get her a Vibe as well. They are so practical and fun to drive. Of course, she will be getting an automatic! I discovered the vibe as I was looking for a reliable car for my niece to drive. Heard good things about the Matrix/Vibe from Scotty Kilmer, (A popular Youtube mechanic) and once I saw I could get a 6 speed manual, I had one in less than 1 week.
tpollauf

Re: How many members are over 55 and still have a stick as their daily driver/2nd car.

Post by tpollauf »

Similar story. First car was a '63 Plymouth Valiant, 170 slant six, 3 on the tree :D Then came the GM "F" body cars (Camaro/Firebird) and they were stick, Then a nice '78 Chevy truck, 250 inline 6, three on the tree, manual steering & manual brakes! Was a b i t c h to drive BUT working on the engine was a breeze ;) Fast forward to today. Still own my Original '92 F-150, 300 inline 6, 5-speed manual, Three Vibe GT's all manual (one still a project car). A couple automatics thrown in there for good measure.

As long as I physically can shift through the gears and push those pedals, I will AWAYS drive a stick where applicable. FYI ... My 89 year old dad drives my 1992 F-150 weekly and has been bugging me to get the project car (03 Vibe GT) up & running so he can drive it!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KingKrab65

Re: How many members are over 55 and still have a stick as their daily driver/2nd car.

Post by KingKrab65 »

Most of the cars I have had in my life are used, so I take what was being sold. I haven't had a stick in years and it isn't a deal breaker for me at 56.

Sticks are being phased out by manufacturers so enjoy them while you can. Paddle shifters are going to be the norm soon so it seams.
2003 Base Vibe
Phoneman

Post by Phoneman »

Four of my six vehicles have manual transmissions including my current DD, a 2003 Vibe GT.

My last DD, a 2005 Vibe (still have it), is an automatic though.
2005 Vibe - 240k
2003 Vibe GT - 117k (totaled)
2003 Vibe GT - 117k
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I've been driving old Subarus for a while because they're easy to find with a manual transmission. Most of my driving is in the Rocky Mt foothills and a manual makes that a little more fun and efficient. I never drive in stop-and-go traffic.

I didn't realize it was age-dependent, but I did see a Jeep recently with a spare tire cover that showed a shifting pattern with the legend, "This vehicle equipped with a Millennial anti-theft device."
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My first stick was a 66 Ford Falcon. I've had a couple others since then, my last was my first 03 Vibe. Glad I can drive a manual transmission. I made sure my kids knew how to drive a manual. However, my choice is automatics now.

Manuals are harder to come by than they used to be, I expect that trend to continue, especially given the transition to electrics