Key won't rotate forward

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
cbusenke

Key won't rotate forward

Post by cbusenke »

I have 2004 Vibe, seen a lot of miles, recently, at least something happened where a couple times i tried to start my car and it wouldn't turn. Thought nothing of it because with a little brute force or turning the steering wheel, whatever it was that was stopping it, went away...until tonight. The car runs fine...but now i can get to that point because the key will not turn forward. I've tried flipping it, i went and had a copy made at Ace Hardware but same result. I didnt think it had a transponder in it but it might. Either way, whatever went bad did so quietly with very little fuss. When i tried the key(i only have the one and a very new one from ACE) on the driver's door, which i never do, key wont turn door lock either. It doesnt budge. Its got to be electronic, keys don't just completely stop working like that. It feels like some kind of anti theft mechanism got tripped. Any ideas?
Cbusenke
Cbusen@yahoo.com

Sorry if I'm slow to reply to email, posting on here is prob best
andrewclaus

Re: Key won't rotate forward

Post by andrewclaus »

You may need to go to a real locksmith. When I got spares made for my used Vibe, they scanned the key for electronics and found none. So that technology exists.

If you seldom use the key in the door (my wife uses the Vibe's fob all the time, I do not), the key may wear down in the ignition lock and no longer work in the door. So then if the ignition cylinder breaks, which may be what happened here, your key no longer works anywhere.

I'm not sure about the Vibe, but in the past I've been able to pull a door lock cylinder, bring it to a locksmith, and they've been able to cut a fresh key from a code on the lock.

I've heard a car dealer can get the key code from the VIN, but I've never done that. Sounds expensive.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There is no electronic aspect of the key in a 2004 Vibe. It sounds like the key is worn. A copy of a worn key is the same shape as the old one, so if the old one is too worn to work, the copy won't either. I'd go with andewclaus's advice.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I had that issue before and I thought it was a worn key, made a new copy and still had issues. Try lubricating the cylinder with graphite made for locks. If you dont have that, just spray a TINY bit of WD40 ONTO the key or any lubricant you have and work the key in and out of the cylinder. After I lubricated the cylinder I was able to use my old key and had an extra spare :lol: It may not work right away, after I lubed the cylinder the key still wouldnt move forward sometimes. After a few days it improved and no issues after. I totally forgot I had that issue untill I read this post, its been so long.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

cbusenke wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:02 pm I have 2004 Vibe, seen a lot of miles, recently, at least something happened where a couple times i tried to start my car and it wouldn't turn. Thought nothing of it because with a little brute force or turning the steering wheel, whatever it was that was stopping it, went away...until tonight. The car runs fine...but now i can get to that point because the key will not turn forward. I've tried flipping it, i went and had a copy made at Ace Hardware but same result. I didnt think it had a transponder in it but it might. Either way, whatever went bad did so quietly with very little fuss. When i tried the key(i only have the one and a very new one from ACE) on the driver's door, which i never do, key wont turn door lock either. It doesnt budge. Its got to be electronic, keys don't just completely stop working like that. It feels like some kind of anti theft mechanism got tripped. Any ideas?
As joatmon states, the keys are mechanical and there is nothing electrical inside the door/ignition preventing a proper key from working. Also, don't think they added a transponder in the key until 2008, so yours should be a standard key. Even if there was a transponder, a proper key would still lock/unlock the doors or hatch. If the key isn't working in either front door, ignition or hatch, then the key is worn. Obviously making a copy of a worn key will provide the same result. Sounds like andewclaus has the best advice and that would be to call a locksmith and see if they can cut you a new key based off of one of your door cylinders. Or worst case scenario, either re-key or replace all the locks+ignition in the car.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Your door lock cylinders are also probably seized since they never get used. You'd have to use some WD-40 or preferred lubricant and work the key back and forth to get it to work in the door.

Do you use the steering wheel to get in/out of the car? If so, it could just be locking the steering wheel and turning it one way or the other might be the solution?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Obviously making a copy of a worn key will provide the same result. Sounds like andewclaus has the best advice and that would be to call a locksmith and see if they can cut you a new key based off of one of your door cylinders. Or worst case scenario, either re-key or replace all the locks+ignition in the car.
[/quote]

When I got my 2003 Vibe, the sides of the one key given to me were smooth. I went to the local GM / Buick Dealership and they were able to cut new keys for me based on my VIN. They have the look up there in the parts department. I had to show my driver's license and registration to proof I was the owner and not some stalker. It is a little bit of a hassle to do that but I took that one new key and made a few copies at Home Depot for my spare and one for my wife.
2003 Base Vibe