'08 stall unless keep foot on gas, check engine light

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
NewViber

'08 stall unless keep foot on gas, check engine light

Post by NewViber »

Hello all,

Haven't been here in a while but so grateful for this forum!

I have searched the forum but thought I would post for some additional thoughts/comments. Franklin has had this stalling issue about 5X this past year. I have to press on the gas for at least 5 seconds or the car will stall. The check engine light comes on and stays on for 3 starts and then goes off again. It will also usually stall twice, consecutively. I have taken him into the mechanic and the code is for MAF but when it happened the very first time, he said he's seen a lot of cars not being driven regularly due to the pandemic coming for stalling. Also, I have been overfilling the tank and I know this is a huge no-no and 99% of the time, it happens after I fill up ... until today. So, could it be another type of sensor (in the gas tank)? Or does it sound like a MAF for sure. The mechanic was reluctant to order the part until it happened again as it is costly and they have to order it in.

Thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks a bunch and stay safe and healthy, everyone!

Lisa
andrewclaus

Re: '08 stall unless keep foot on gas, check engine light

Post by andrewclaus »

If you damage something by overfilling the tank (charcoal cannister, for example) you'll get a different code.

Stalling and rough running and idle are symptoms of MAF sensor problems. Continued operation with a faulty sensor may also damage the catalytic converter, so I wouldn't do that. A quick look on line shows prices under $50, and it's an easy replacement. Catalytic converters are many hundreds of dollars. I assume cleaning has been tried. There's a special spray cleaner for MAFs.
NewViber

Post by NewViber »

Thank you, Andrew, for your response. It is very helpful to know that, yes, if the code came through for MAF, then it isn't the charcoal canister.

My mechanic says it is going to cost me $500 to replace the MAF. He didn't say anything about cleaning it but I just went on YouTube and it seems rather easy. I think I should tell him to do this first. I better get it in there ASAP as this has been going on for a while now. All I need is for the Cat to go, too.

Thank you again for responding. You've been a terrific help!

Take care,
Lisa
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

NewViber wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:51 pm My mechanic says it is going to cost me $500 to replace the MAF.
You need to find a different mechanic, that's an unreasonably high price.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

repairpal.com says $ 288 - $ 314 for your vehicle year
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

You need a different mechanic.. Cars coming in for stalling due to lack of driving due to pandemic? That's absurd. How about all of the classic cars people store for months on end. Charge the battery and they're fine after sitting. That's a nonsense excuse.

$500 to replace the MAF?! NEW OEM is $100, and it literally is held in with two little screws and then the electrical connector. You can replace this in your driveway in 5min.

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... 204-22010/
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

zbyers wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:18 am You need a different mechanic.. Cars coming in for stalling due to lack of driving due to pandemic? That's absurd. How about all of the classic cars people store for months on end. Charge the battery and they're fine after sitting. That's a nonsense excuse.

$500 to replace the MAF?! NEW OEM is $100, and it literally is held in with two little screws and then the electrical connector. You can replace this in your driveway in 5min.

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... 204-22010/
Agreed ! Amazon has OEM toyota for 100 bucks. 2 screws and the connector. with the car OFF disconnect the connector to the MAF loosen the 2 screws and pull up 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on