2AZFE vs 1AZXFE engine compatibility

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Glenpointe

2AZFE vs 1AZXFE engine compatibility

Post by Glenpointe »

Hello everyone, it has been awhile that I post my last post. My 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT needs a new engine 2AZFE. Can I use the 2AZXFE engine from 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid? Thanks,
Glen
tpollauf

Re: 2AZFE vs 1AZXFE engine compatibility

Post by tpollauf »

Hey Glen. Fill us in on what happened to the original 2.4L engine. Mileage? climate driven in? Drivers (yourself, kids, neighbors)? Auto or stick? was it one of the "oil burners" that are out there? We have two of these in our fleet and both are running like new still to this day (36k stick on one, 170k auto on the other). Also update profile showing location. This could be helpful in us pointing you in the right direction to locating another engine.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

2009 Vibe GT 5sp manual with 135k miles. Low oil and spun a rod bearing. Rod cap came off and put a hole in the block. This happened after 3,000 mile oil change.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The 2AZFE and 1AZXFE are similar, but not the same. In order to run this engine in a Vibe you would need to have a custom ECU map created, and it's super hard to do that on these Toyota ECU's.

The Wikipedia article sums it up really well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine#2AZ-FXE
2AZ-FXE
The 2AZ-FXE is an Atkinson cycle variant of the 2AZ-FE. It has the same bore and stroke, but the intake cam and pistons are unique. It has a physical compression ratio of 12.5:1.

The large valve overlap leads to a reduction in cylinder charge and reduced torque and power output, but efficiency is increased. This combination makes the 2AZ-FXE suitable for use only in hybrid vehicles, where peak torque and power demands can be met by the electric motor and battery.

I think you're best bet is to find a good used, or reman engine.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:06 am The Wikipedia article sums it up really well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine#2AZ-FXE
Excellent Wikipedia article. It even goes into the "oil burning" issue which many of us have! :o Also at 12.5:1 compression ratio one would think PREMIUM fuel would be mandatory? Maybe it is on those models. Don't own one so I wouldn't know. Thanks for posting ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:59 pm
SeattleJeremy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:06 am The Wikipedia article sums it up really well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine#2AZ-FXE
Excellent Wikipedia article. It even goes into the "oil burning" issue which many of us have! :o Also at 12.5:1 compression ratio one would think PREMIUM fuel would be mandatory? Maybe it is on those models. Don't own one so I wouldn't know. Thanks for posting ;)
Atkinson engines are weird. Somehow they pull it off with only 87 Octane.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Glenpointe

Post by Glenpointe »

Couldn't find anything local so I purchased an engine from ebay. It's more expensive than I expected. Thanks all, Glene