Motor mount failed in about an hour?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
butlerjonas

Motor mount failed in about an hour?

Post by butlerjonas »

My 2009 Vibe GT (2.4l 2az-fe engine) had been vibrating at idle since I've owned it. I finally replaced the last of four mounts (top passenger side torque mount) and started her up. The car was glass-smooth through all RPMs... for about an hour. Over the course of about four days, it had gradually reverted back to vibrating just like it was-no better or worse. I wish I had a picture of the new mount, but it looks just like the old one now. The rubber cylinder was firm and concave when new, but now it's protruding like a bubble just like the old one. It's especially disappointing since I got a brief taste of a smooth running car for the first time in the ten months I've owned it. The mount is OEM Toyota. It seems unlikely I just got a dud, but I can't imagine why it would work so well for such a short amount of time. Any ideas why this would happen? I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
09 Vibe GT
2AZ-FE 2.4L (upgraded pistons)
Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w-20/Toyota TRD filter
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Re: Motor mount failed in about an hour?

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I feel your pain. I had the same issue when I replaced my mounts. Silky smooth at first BETTER than new. Then the rough idle returned after a month. I was so dead set I had a bad mount somewhere, I replaced them all a second time and no change :lol: They are all OEM mounts. Needless to say I ruled out the mounts. I wish I had an answer for both of us. Im still searching why it idles rough. I cant stand it, and makes me wanna get rid of it :cry: :evil: :roll:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:15 pm I feel your pain. I had the same issue when I replaced my mounts. Silky smooth at first BETTER than new. Then the rough idle returned after a month. I was so dead set I had a bad mount somewhere, I replaced them all a second time and no change :lol: They are all OEM mounts. Needless to say I ruled out the mounts. I wish I had an answer for both of us. Im still searching why it idles rough. I cant stand it, and makes me wanna get rid of it :cry: :evil: :roll:
I know, right?! Have you had any major work done on yours? I've been told it could be the balance shafts. I thought maybe mine were mis-aligned when the engine was rebuilt (pistons replaced/oil burning) Maybe they just wear out? Maybe it's something else entirely. Tell me, do you get the vibration in gear and in neutral/park like I do? It's like there's a rough patch from 750 to 1000 rpm, worst around 900-950 rpm, and smooths out past that. Maybe we can figure it out because it's not supposed to be rough/vibrating like this. I don't think anyone who test drove a new one off the lot would be ok with it-they would certainly notice that it feels like a massage chair.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

Whoops. Didn't mean to italicize everything haha
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow, you have described my issue exactly. around 1100 RPMs it DOES smooth out. Worst at about 850 RPMs and when cold. I recently had a bad coil that gave me a misfire code and I replaced the coil.....AND the center bolt for the front engine mount was completely loose. That did help. I ran a bottle of catalytic converter cleaner, ran it real hard on the highway and that seemed to help. I replaced the MAF sensor and helped was well. I have multiple issues here ( obviously ) but I cant seem to get rid of that 850 RPM vibration. No, I havent had any major work done. I thought I would NEVER say this but I want another car. This is the crap that makes you throw in the towel on a car, and I have had the vibe for 14 years. I would hate to get ride of it knowing it could be something minor :cry:

Lets update this post as we go along....maybe we can put our heads together and solve this one 8-)

My next plan of attack will be this :

- check the bolts on the remaining engine mounts
- replace the IAC valve
- clean throttle body
-replace a coil one at at time to see if there are any changes. The car ran pretty crappy before it gave a code. I could possibly have a coil that starting to go bad but hasnt triggered a code yet.

Being that I have no CEL right now im drawing straws.
Last edited by cptnsolo77 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, real bad time to be thinking about a new car. Just one case as an example: Heuberger Subaru in CO Springs has 4 Crosstrek, 1 Forester, and one Outback in inventory. Considering they started the season with 140 Crosstrek and similar numbers for the other models......AND considering that the largest volume Subaru dealer in the US can't even get restocked by Mr. Subaru given the hoards of cars they sell every year shows that the chip shortage has killed the industry right now. A dealer in Kansas somehow got a recent shipment of Crosstrek (40). They are selling them for up to $3,000 over MSRP. Couple all this with the fantasy world of a used car market right now, demands that us "end of lifers" (car wise) need to do whatever it takes to patch up our vehicles and keep them limping just a little bit longer. If you don't mind settling for your third or fourth choice of new vehicle models, then perhaps its no big deal. I still want to hold on a little longer so I can make the best choice for my next 10+ year car
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Absolutely ! Im talking out of frustration when I say I wanna get rid of the Vibe. Used car prices are insane right now. I havent had a car payment since 2012. At this point ANY repair would still be cheaper than if I would have had a car payment for the last 8 years :lol: Im at 278K and im really hoping to keep the Vibe in good shape to have as a 2nd car when used prices go down. As much as I love the Vibe I dont feel it should be our primary car anymore due to its age....it has been for the last 14 years. Its time to give the Vibe a break and be easy on its elderly years :lol:.....although according to the torque app it has a healthy 21 in of vacuum :shock:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

It is often easier for people to think of cars this way: car years and dog years are the same when it comes to reliability. Although nearly all dogs die by age 15 and cars can last decades, I wouldn't go for a morning jog with my 15 year old dog nor would I consider a lengthy road trip in a 15 year old car. Everyone tries to justify the lower cost of repairs versus a new car payment. I look at it this way, in my driving life, I've had tires blow out, brakes totally fail two different times, and an axle snap off while driving at highway speed. As Sting says, we're "....packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes; contestants in a suicidal race...." Most people agree that one wouldn't repeatedly patch up an old tire just to keep it going and that buying bargain tires is not a good idea; I tend to apply that logic to the rest of an aging car especially when it is ferrying precious cargo. Of course, the present chip/used/new car shortage has every logic turned upside down.
Here's Clark Howard's take on this subject, posted today on his website: “If the cost of the repair is half or less than the value of the car, you should always do the repair,” he says. “If the cost of the repair is between half and the full value of the car, AND if you think the car will last for another year, you should do the repair.”
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

So my 2010 (2.4L, automatic) with 236k shakes at idle, when in gear. If it's in Neutral, does not shake/vibrate. Current thinking is that the torque converter could be causing it.

Thoughts?
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Caretaker wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:55 am It is often easier for people to think of cars this way: car years and dog years are the same when it comes to reliability. Although nearly all dogs die by age 15 and cars can last decades, I wouldn't go for a morning jog with my 15 year old dog nor would I consider a lengthy road trip in a 15 year old car. Everyone tries to justify the lower cost of repairs versus a new car payment. I look at it this way, in my driving life, I've had tires blow out, brakes totally fail two different times, and an axle snap off while driving at highway speed. As Sting says, we're "....packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes; contestants in a suicidal race...." Most people agree that one wouldn't repeatedly patch up an old tire just to keep it going and that buying bargain tires is not a good idea; I tend to apply that logic to the rest of an aging car especially when it is ferrying precious cargo. Of course, the present chip/used/new car shortage has every logic turned upside down.
Here's Clark Howard's take on this subject, posted today on his website: “If the cost of the repair is half or less than the value of the car, you should always do the repair,” he says. “If the cost of the repair is between half and the full value of the car, AND if you think the car will last for another year, you should do the repair.”
an axle snap off while driving at highway speed ??? YIKES ! :shock:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Just crossed the GW Bridge and was in Harlem when.....bang......... Good thing everyone was home watching the Mets-Yankees game on TV. I had lots of people rush out to give me water, food, encouragement while I waited hours for a tow truck.
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 am Wow, you have described my issue exactly. around 1100 RPMs it DOES smooth out. Worst at about 850 RPMs and when cold. I recently had a bad coil that gave me a misfire code and I replaced the coil.....AND the center bolt for the front engine mount was completely loose. That did help. I ran a bottle of catalytic converter cleaner, ran it real hard on the highway and that seemed to help. I replaced the MAF sensor and helped was well. I have multiple issues here ( obviously ) but I cant seem to get rid of that 850 RPM vibration. No, I havent had any major work done. I thought I would NEVER say this but I want another car. This is the crap that makes you throw in the towel on a car, and I have had the vibe for 14 years. I would hate to get ride of it knowing it could be something minor :cry:

Lets update this post as we go along....maybe we can put our heads together and solve this one 8-)

My next plan of attack will be this :

- check the bolts on the remaining engine mounts
- replace the IAC valve
- clean throttle body
-replace a coil one at at time to see if there are any changes. The car ran pretty crappy before it gave a code. I could possibly have a coil that starting to go bad but hasnt triggered a code yet.

Being that I have no CEL right now im drawing straws.
I'm still guessing too, but I did see a video where a guy had a Toyota something with coils similar to ours and 2-3 of them were bad (or very weak) with no CEL. He removed them one at a time with the engine running and two of them had little to no effect when removed. I always thought they were an all or nothing item, but apparently they can weaken with age-so can an alternator. Cars generally won't throw a warning light unless something is dangerously wrong or significantly detrimental to the emissions system. I had one spark plug that had a lot of buildup on it, but the others were clean when I replaced them. That could be due to weak spark/incomplete burn (weak coil, etc.) In general, the pistons not all functioning the exact same way is a very common source of vibration. I did everything you mentioned with no improvement except replacing a/the coil(s) and cleaning the IAC valve(Mine doesn't have one.) We'll figure it out! If the car idled smooth off the lot, it can be smooth again.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Does the vibration seem worse when the car is cold and gets better when the engine reaches operating temp ? Thats what I experience. I even replaced the engine cooling temp sensor a few years back....yeah....I have been dealing with this for quite some time. Like 3 years :oops: :roll:

Keep us posted 8-) This also helps other members.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:49 pm Does the vibration seem worse when the car is cold and gets better when the engine reaches operating temp ? Thats what I experience. I even replaced the engine cooling temp sensor a few years back....yeah....I have been dealing with this for quite some time. Like 3 years :oops: :roll:

Keep us posted 8-) This also helps other members.
Yes. On cold start, once it idles down to about 950 rpm, there's an intense vibration that resonates throughout the car like a subwoofer. Shortly after it's warmed up, the vibration mellows out into a message chair type thing. The vibration also feels like it moves up and down with rpm, like 900 rpm-more in the steering wheel/rear view mirror, 750 rpm-more in the seat/pedals.

Also, quick question. Is your MAF sensor a Denso or another brand? My Denso MAF just failed (again) today after replacing it about 5 months ago. Cleaning it didn't help. I was told that Denso doesn't list a MAF for the Vibe GT and I should get a Delphi or AC Delco. Wouldn't that be something if it was the wrong MAF sensor all along? But, that would be too easy ;-)
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

I've seen videos/articles on Toyota VVT systems, in which the solenoid and/or filter (tiny screen in the block) can become dirty/clogged and cause vibration, but no Check engine light or trouble code. Same deal with the Coil packs. I suppose Toyota doesn't want its owners to worry so their cars have to be really screwed up to throw a CEL. I wouldn't think VVT would affect idle, but it apparently does for Toyota's unique system. (unlike V-TEC, VANOS, etc.) Perhaps an engine flush is in order. I've read success stories mostly from long-term gradual engine cleaning as opposed to 10 minute flushes. I read about someone with a 2000 Honda CRV running marvel mystery oil in their gas and crankcase and it cleared up his vibration at idle, but it took a while. I have a gallon of MMO (basically thin oil with mild and medium strength solvents) so I'll try it out and report back. Even with synthetic oil and conservative oil changes, varnish can build up in the tiny oil passages and cause less than optimum operation. Side note: some oil filters are not very efficient. For example the Toyota OEM filters are about 50% at 20 microns. I read a recent independent study that tested oil filter efficiency and found the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter to be the best. Maybe not related to rough idle/vibration, but good info nonetheless.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/membe ... ing.92090/
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Looks like something called "neutralizing " the engine mounts could be the issue. Heres a couple of posts from other forums regarding it.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/ne ... t.1342825/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc ... d-2779057/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threa ... ys.341791/

This is the first I heard of such a thing. Being that it wont cost me anything Im going to give it a shot when the wheather cools down here. The only part im not understanding is HOW LOOSE do the mounts have to be before you start the car. They even say to rev it up to 2000 RPMS, put the car in drive then reverse. So the engine settles into a "neutral" position then tighten. I would think the engine would jump out the engine bay with all the mounts loose :o
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

That third post is from me lol. My engine does sit a little crooked. You can tell because the passenger side mount shaped like a backward 7 is crooked. I also had a mechanic tell me the engine is off by 2 degrees that he measured with a "scope"-I've still never seen a scope nor does anyone I've asked know what one is. I've tried moving some of the mounts around (there is a little play in the holes) but it didn't help any. I have not tried loosening them all and "neutralizing" them. After everything I've tried, it has to be the engine not sitting right or the balance shafts or both. I'm pretty sure your engine doesn't have balance shafts, though. Was your car ever smooth that you can remember? What was the story with replacing your mounts? I had my mounts replaced in order of trans and rear mount, then a few months later the front mount, then another few months later the passenger side mount which made my car THE smoothest, quietest car I had ever even sat in, but for only about an hour :-(
FWIW, here's everything I did/tried that didn't help
All new OEM mounts
OEM spark plugs
Fuel injectors cleaned
MAF sensor replaced
Throttle body cleaned
Replaced PCV valve
Engine flush
Re-installing the passenger side mount a few times
Compression and vacuum tests both excellent
No codes, all "stats" like fuel trim, O2 sensors, etc. are pretty much perfect.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

butlerjonas wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 pm That third post is from me lol. My engine does sit a little crooked. You can tell because the passenger side mount shaped like a backward 7 is crooked. I also had a mechanic tell me the engine is off by 2 degrees that he measured with a "scope"-I've still never seen a scope nor does anyone I've asked know what one is. I've tried moving some of the mounts around (there is a little play in the holes) but it didn't help any. I have not tried loosening them all and "neutralizing" them. After everything I've tried, it has to be the engine not sitting right or the balance shafts or both. I'm pretty sure your engine doesn't have balance shafts, though. Was your car ever smooth that you can remember? What was the story with replacing your mounts? I had my mounts replaced in order of trans and rear mount, then a few months later the front mount, then another few months later the passenger side mount which made my car THE smoothest, quietest car I had ever even sat in, but for only about an hour :-(
FWIW, here's everything I did/tried that didn't help
All new OEM mounts
OEM spark plugs
Fuel injectors cleaned
MAF sensor replaced
Throttle body cleaned
Replaced PCV valve
Engine flush
Re-installing the passenger side mount a few times
Compression and vacuum tests both excellent
No codes, all "stats" like fuel trim, O2 sensors, etc. are pretty much perfect.
Thats the first I heard of any kind of "scope" to determine if the engine is off a level of degrees. Off in relation to what ? :| I dont know if the engine has balance shafts. I can say the 1.8 isnt the most smoothest engine, but it was never this rough. I replaced all the mounts twice :lol: It got better the 2nd time around but not where it should be. Im just as lost as you are. I have no check engine lights to indicate anything wrong. Engine vacuum was 21 in hg. I have been chasing this issue for 2 years. Gas mileage is great too.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

According to my research, your engine does not have balance shafts, but it does have a harmonic balancer (crank pulley.)
My engine has balance shafts, but no harmonic balancer.
Both can and do degrade/fail over time.
Both of our cars have a similar 7-shaped mount on the top passenger side witch is the main one for softening cabin vibration.
That mount is also more "fragile" for lack of a better term because it is fluid filled and the other three are just steel and rubber I think.
Motor mounts only absorb ( or sometimes amplify) what's going on with the engine-they don't correct or prevent anything.
I've read from a few sources that excessive engine vibrations can quickly over-stress engine mounts since they are typically rather soft for the sake of comfort.
This isn't a solution, but It may explain why we both had only brief success with replacing the mounts-like a band-aid on a stab wound lol.
I'm skeptical of the "neutralizing" the mounts thing since two of my mounts won't move at all even when loosened and the other two have about a centimeter of play in the frame bolts. Also, there is also nothing in the repair manual about aligning or loosening/re tightening the mounts, but there is such instruction for other cars like some Hondas and Saturns I have seen.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Any info is well appreciated. Thats what these forums are for ;) I would hate to think the issue is harmonic balancers or balance shafts. I will agree with you though. There isnt much play on the passenger side mount. I cant remember if the driver side bracket for the mount is slotted but I know in my case the front bracket mount IS slotted. I dont know if the bracket for the rear mount is. If the rear bracket IS slotted theres room for "neutralizing" from front to rear but not left to right.

One thing I forgot to ask you...is the vibration worse when the car is cold ? In my case it gets better after the car reaches operating temp.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

Yes, it's a tad more intense when it's cold, but the main difference is the vibration itself is louder. As it slowly idles down, it sounds like a subwoofer around 900 rpm and you can actually see the mirrors and steering wheel shaking. Oddly, I feel it more in the seats after it warms up. I can't say for sure if it's better/worse, hot/cold, but it is different.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

Transylvania wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:03 am So my 2010 (2.4L, automatic) with 236k shakes at idle, when in gear. If it's in Neutral, does not shake/vibrate. Current thinking is that the torque converter could be causing it.

Thoughts?
Mine used to do that (smooth in neutral, shaky in gear). It could be the torque converter, but check the mounts first. If they are all original with that mileage, they're almost certainly worn out. Also, change the ATF if you haven't in a while. The U250E is a bullet-proof transmission, so I doubt it's going out unless it's been abused and/or neglected.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Any updates ?
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:06 am Any updates ?
I'm replacing my valve cover gasket soon. It was replaced about 9 months ago, but there is oil getting into at least one spark plug hole. I'm also replacing my coils. I was reading (a lot) about very similar symptoms (low RPM vibration, inconsistent/hunting idle) due to high mileage coils that still work, but not as well as they used to. I tried to replace the contact springs (new springs came with the boot kit) but the old ones were impossible to remove. I was afraid they would break or warp because they are MUCH softer and flimsier than the new ones. Denso coils were $55 a piece on Rock Auto. I figure even if it doesn't help, I'll never have to buy coils again and I can keep them in my car for if one goes out on the road :) I will report back afterwards, of course.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Actually replacing the coils will be my next plan of action as well. I figured coils are easier to replace than " neutralizing " the mounts. Worse case I can return the coils if I see no improvement. The coils were replaced in 2019 but I did have 1 coil go bad already and gave me a code....plus the car was running crappy before it threw a code. Maybe I have another coil thats bad, but hasnt thrown a code yet and causing my idle issue ? If I do not see any improvement then I will move forward with neutralizing the mounts. I have owned the Vibe for 14 years and I figured ANY repair is cheaper than money I didnt spend on a car payment over 14 years....even if it becomes what may be considered excessive repairs for 1 year :lol:

I have been noticed a bit more oil consumption, and that has me concerned. Im getting close to the 1 quart every 1500 miles mark. If that become a issue the Vibe will be truly dead. Until then I will drive it till it dies :lol:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

Oil consumption could be from a few things-some of which are treatable. I'd be using high mileage oil if you're not already. I'm a fan of Valvoline Maxlife for any kind of leak. If you're losing oil internally through worn/hard valve stem seals, the Valvoline will help. Liqui Moly oil saver is also good stuff. It stopped my rear main seal leak about 10k miles ago. Also check your PCV valve or really, just replace it if you haven't. The OEM valve is 10 bucks and you need a deep 22mm (I think) socket to remove it. The OEM PCV valve says Aisan on it. Oreilly's has them even though they are in a different box that says Import Direct, the "Aisan" is the one you want. It will also have green thread locker on the threads. Part # is 28030
My coils should be here tomorrow and I'll post the results.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I have been using High Mileage Castrol Synth Blend since 2011,with Purolator filters. The PVC was replaced 2 years ago, when I began this rough idle journey :lol: I will look into Liqui Moly oil saver. I just purchased the upgraded dipstick for the 1ZZ that brings the oil level from 3.9 to 4.4 quarts. Not sure if that will affect the oil consumption ( there was a thread stating oil consumption was the reason for increasing the oil level ) but having the correct oil level cant hurt either. Thanks for the update and hope those coils solve your issue. It would be a wonderful coincidence if new coils solved our idle issues and be done with this nonsense 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

The new coils were needed. One of them had a hole in it and the cooling oil had leaked out. I thought it was the valve cover gasket leaking, but it was from the coil itself. The new coils were a tad heavier too, so that makes sense. My plugs (one was oily from the coil leak) were also all white and spotty, meaning they were running too hot. I replaced them all with NGK ifr6t11 laser iridium (the oem recommended option.)
Now for what I didn't expect.
Apparently, I had never installed any spark plugs tightly enough in my car. This could explain why they were running hot as they had not fully "mated" with the block. I was always too afraid of stripping the threads and/or them being hard to remove later. I first installed them as I normally would and the car was about the same as before. However, I bought a torque wrench later that day, really to make sure other things were properly tight, but figured I may as well check the spark plug torque as well. The spec is only 14 ft/lbs, but I turned all the plugs almost another full turn before the wrench clicked! Now the vibration is still there, but less severe and within the expected realm of an old 4 cyl engine. The exhaust manifold nuts were too loose as well. I tightened them up which didn't affect the vibration much, but the engine was noticeably quieter.
If you haven't, I'd say to get a torque wrench or two and make sure everything is tightened to spec. I guess stuff loosens over time-especially with a lot of vibration going on. It's certainly not like a new car, but it feels more "solid" now if that makes sense.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

No magic bullet huh ? I guess any improvement is good. Im still going to give the coils a shot anyway. back to the drawing board I guess ? :roll: At this point my Vibe is 18 year car and cannot be perfect ( even though I wont give up ) :lol:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

Same here. New plugs/coils didn't change much, but I'm not getting random misfires anymore. Have you cleaned your throttle body? Mine is really hard to get to. I've tried cleaning it and the front of the plate that I can see is shiny clean, but it may be gummed up past there further down and/or on the back of the plate. I have a long spiral brush and some cleaner, so I guess I'll try again. It's such a pain to reach, though. :roll:
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Throttle body was removed and cleaned about 30K ago when I cleaned the IACV. I recently cleaned the throttle body without removal. The backside of the plate wasnt that dirty and I saw no difference in idle. That was one of the quick items to check before I dove in deeper with time and $$$$. To be honest I dont know how some of these Vibe owners have almost 300K without hardly any parts replaced. I have babied this car and I have laundry list of parts replaced on the Vibe during my 14 years of ownership. I feel its more than average but not unreasonable. I Havent had a car payment for 9 years ( paid off in 2012 ) so that justifies the price of repairs, but it doesnt factor the inconvienience of wrenching on a Saturday after a long week of work or the time spend on the internet trying to diagnose. Yeah....im a little frustrated :roll:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

I just replaced my air filter and it made more of an improvement than I thought it would. Apparently I had the "budget" Toyota/Denso filter in there and it was not only fouling my MAF sensor, but also throwing off the air/fuel ratio. Also, it didn't look dirty at all, but it was "shedding" and a bunch of fuzz was coming off of it.
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

butlerjonas wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:00 pm I just replaced my air filter and it made more of an improvement than I thought it would. Apparently I had the "budget" Toyota/Denso filter in there and it was not only fouling my MAF sensor, but also throwing off the air/fuel ratio. Also, it didn't look dirty at all, but it was "shedding" and a bunch of fuzz was coming off of it.
Excellent find !
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
tybach

Post by tybach »

I am chasing the same issue with an '09 2.4l. I've replaced all the motor mounts, and it didn't seem to help. It gets worse on a cold engine and when the AC is on.

Caved in and took it to a shop. They told me to replace the motor mounts again as I bought some cheap rock auto ones.