2005 vibe base strut job

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
maggarjt

2005 vibe base strut job

Post by maggarjt »

I want to replace all of the struts and associated hardware on my vibe. I am looking on rock auto and there are ACdelco and GM genuine parts that vary in price. The price difference in ball joints is nearly 100%. What is your advice on the difference between ACdelco and GM genuine for a vibe?

Also I'm looking for a parts list as I think I should replace ball joints, sway bar end links and rear sway bar when I do all the struts. if I wanted to replace the mouint for the top of the strut would I buy the respective mount for the brand of the strut?

Finally if I buy an impact wrench would a 3/8 do the job or should i get 1/2?

Thanks
CraftsmanQuad19

Re: 2005 vibe base strut job

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

If you buy loaded struts, they include the spring and top hat. By far the fastest and safest way, as they come pre assembled. No sketchy spring compressors needed. For ball joints, fastest way may end up being complete new lower control arms. If you’re on a serious budget and the control arm bushings look ok, you can get a ball joint press from the loan a tool program at pretty much any auto parts store.

We use Moog for pretty much everything at work and I rebuilt the whole front end on my ranger with 100% moog parts off rockauto last weekend. My buddy rebuilt the whole front end on his 04 Chevy 1500 using all moog stuff. I’ve heard of people having fitment issues, but all the parts I’ve had experience with have fit 100% perfectly.

As far as impacts, you’ll be better off getting one of each. I personally use Milwaukee fuel m18, both the 1/2 high torque and the 3/8 fuel. Very happy with both of them. My buddy has the kobalt impacts from Lowe’s. Might have slightly less power but are very comparable. Same warranty (5yr tool 3yr battery) for a far better price. Best bang for your buck, Kobalt 24v brushless is a great option.

A 3/8 will do the top hat of the strut, and MIGHT do the lower two bolts on the strut. But a 3/8 will NOT have the steam to run the ball joint press or unbolt the LCA’s. A 1/2 might snap smaller bolts putting them on and will definitely not fit everywhere a 3/8 will. I’d recommend getting the combo kit with a 3/8 and 1/2, plus battery and charger. Brushless is definitely the way to go. I don’t even consider buying brushed tools. If it’s offered in brushless, that’s what I get. Just the way I am I guess.
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
maggarjt

Post by maggarjt »

I was leaning toward kyb strut plus for the front due to the lowest price $111.00 each and ACDelco struts for the rear at 110 each.
cool if you were looking at sway bar end links for 25ACDelco vs 50 bucks for GM what would you do?

I want the Milwaukee impact wrenches because I have always liked them from years of use in the granite industry. Any advice on impact socket sets that aren't going to kill me on price?

I have no problem replacing most of the suspension because my car is only at 135k and I have done tons of work to the engine and its squared away. I was thinking of just replacing ball joints, control arms, sway bar end links, rear sway bar all at once and then getting an alignment.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I use this http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... ng-knuckle for Matrix part numbers.

If you have the steering knuckles off and have shop tools you might want to think about new wheel bearings. I had to do mine at 180K when I replaced my struts.
CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

Kyb make good struts.

If you go Milwaukee, the lowest prices I’ve found have been on Amazon. Craigslist/marketplace have them too from people that buy multiple large kits and some tools repeat. Home Depot is nice to compare in your hand, but way overpriced
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
maggarjt

Post by maggarjt »

ok cool thanks guys

Another question.....

If I decide to do wheel bearings should I do all 4 wheels since I am doing all 4 struts?

I tried to figure out of I could just buy the wheel bearing and hub in one unit since I don't have any way to press bearings out but its hard to tell if the bearing and hub are one unit. I dont mind paying more money to not have to mess with rusty snap rings and all the little pieces that make a job last all day.

are MOOG knuckles any good?
Thanks
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I think since the knuckles will be free, just do the fronts. The rears aren't attached to the struts.

If you don't have easy access to a large press (I had to go to a transmission shop), it may make sense to buy new knuckles with bearings. Or don't worry about it. I paid $20 for the press job. I live in a dry climate so rust wasn't a problem.

No experience with Moog vs OEM or others.
maggarjt

Post by maggarjt »

Thanks so much!