2003 Headlight Issue

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
muttleytm

2003 Headlight Issue

Post by muttleytm »

I had a 2005 vibe and recently got a 2003 to replace it as it was totaled. So I am familiar with them, but this is a new problem for me.

The 2003 was low mileage and everything was fine until last night. I realized both my headlights (high and low beam and fog lights were not working. I knew the were all working fine just the day before. The high beams also did both work with the momentary switch when i push or pull on the stalk.

I eventually played with the three position switch on the stalk and found one that would turn them all on. I thought maybe I had just put it is some other position by mistake and that would solve my problem. They are lit up fine. However, when I got home and parked I realized it was a manual on position and they stayed on even if I turned the car off.

I had been playing around with the rotary switch to turn the dome light on that is also used to dim the dashboard lights earlier. I don't see how this would have anything to do with it, but thought I'd mention it.

I'll take a look again later today in the light. I did some searches on this and found issues regarding daytime running lights and the sensors for them and I suppose this could be involved, but they didn't appear to be on at all, not just stuck in a low setting. Given this was the first year these cars were made I was surprised I not to find any postings with this same issue. Maybe the issue was resolved early.

Anyone have any ideas what to check first? My first thought was the relay or relays, but at least in the manual mode they all work fine and the high beams work with the momentary switch.

TIA
joatmon

Re: 2003 Headlight Issue

Post by joatmon »

The only difference in the lighting circuit between your previous 05 and your current 03 is the dome light control. On your 05, the do,e light manual on switch was on the dome light, on the 03 its part of the instrument dimmer switch.

Adjusting the dimmer switch should not affect the headlights.

It sounds like you currently have no daytime running lights or automatic headlights, but that the headlights and high beams work if you manually turn them on. That would tend to rule out various fuses and relays.

In an 03, if you disconnect the light sensor in the dash, then you get DRLs, but it will never switch to full headlights automatically, so a sensor problem doesn't fit your symptoms

Some people here have deliberately modified their Vibes to behave like yours. One method supported using an added switch to enable and disable DRLs and auto headlights. Any chance you accidentally found such a switch?

The DRLs and auto headlights don't come on if the parking brake is set. Sometimes pulling the parking brake lever up only one click is enough. However, that would cause the BRAKE light to come on in the instrument cluster. It would be a good idea to check that with the car running,(and not moving) pulling the parking brake lever up does cause the BRAKE light to light up.

Or it could be something else