Squeaky door

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
radioarno

Squeaky door

Post by radioarno »

hi all, 2004 base vibe, driver door sounds like its about to fall off what I open it. Not sure if when I close it, maybe, mybe not, but certainly when I open. I figured the hinges were rusty, but can't really get at the hinges, but there's this plastic looking black thing, might be plastic, might be metal, squarish cross section, maybe about 5 or 6 inches long, that slides in an out of the door as it oepns and closes. I stuck some silicone grease on the visible part, and that seems to have improved it maybe 40%, and I'd like to know what else can I do? thanks.
zbyers

Re: Squeaky door

Post by zbyers »

I believe the piece you are referring to is the door check strap. They're reasonably priced online, so you could try replacing it to see if it solves your issues.

Is it possible the door is hitting the fender? We hit a deer in ours, and it pushed the fender back a hair so the door taps the fender and makes a scrapping noise.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

an easy test would be to unbolt the door check from the door jamb and see if the door still squeaks when you move it back and forth.
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

great advice. Thanks.