Exhaust system 2005 Pontiac Vibe

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont
jmvvibeowner

Exhaust system 2005 Pontiac Vibe

Post by jmvvibeowner »

Hi, I have the original exhaust system. Had loud noise and brought to a local garage. They said there's a hole in the catalytic converter and it needs to be replaced. They say they can only get a factory catalytic converter that costs $1,200. I saw aftermarket catalytic converters online much cheaper. I live in Massachusetts. Do I need to get the factory part? Also, in MA they do not do emissions tests after 15 years. Can I get just a straight pipe instead and not put in new oxygen sensors or the catalytic converter? On top of this, they said I need new exhaust all the way to the rear, so total cost is $2,400. Seems like a lot of money.
zbyers

Re: Exhaust system 2005 Pontiac Vibe

Post by zbyers »

They are assaulting you on the price.

Is it FWD? AWD?

FWD, there's plenty of universal ones you could use. Take it to an actual exhaust shop and they can help square you away.

AWD, the cat is in the manifold, and it is pricey to get.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jmvvibeowner

Post by jmvvibeowner »

Thank you for your feedback. It is a front wheel drive and we did take it to an exhaust stop and they are going to put a new cat in and weld the areas on the pipe where there are a few small holes. The exhaust system as a whole is pretty solid. Said it would cost about $575.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Still seems expensive, but a lot more reasonable. If they're installing a bolt on converter, that would make sense.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe