C59-C60 swap shaft seal issues

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
edisto

C59-C60 swap shaft seal issues

Post by edisto »

I hope this is in the right place to post this...this is only my second post on the forum. I just recently swapped in a C60 from a 2003 Matrix into my wife's 2004 Base Vibe. I had read that the shorter base axles worked, but I also just read that the play issues could lead to damage.

The reason I'm asking is that I have a leak past the left (driver's side) output shaft seal. I had used National 710199 on the right, and National 710419 on the right, which are listed for both the C60 and C59. After noticing the leak on the left, I pulled the axle, and replaced the seal with the same part number, because the leaking seal seemed to be out of round. It still is leaking.

I have had a devil of a time trying to look up the right part number...does anyone have the OEM numbers, or different numbers for aftermarket seals?

More importantly, is it possible that the shorter output shaft is an issue? I am leaning towards replacing them anyway (I assume that the searching for the 2004 GT shafts will give me the right length parts), but I'm getting tired of replacing seals and buying hub nuts, and want to make sure I am using the right seal.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can provide. It was a fun job, but I'm getting a little tired of redoing it.
edisto

Re: C59-C60 swap shaft seal issues

Post by edisto »

One additional question...when I get parts for the Vibe, they always reference the last character in the VIN. Ours ends in an 8, and the alternative is an L. Do I need to go with the "L" to get the GT axles?
CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

Yes, vin L will get you the GT axles
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
edisto

Post by edisto »

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:45 pm Yes, vin L will get you the GT axles
Thanks!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The shorter axle really shouldn't cause you any issues. If I remember correctly, the difference is only about 1/4" or so in length.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
edisto

Post by edisto »

I replaced the National 710419 with a Febest 95HBY-34630915L this weekend. It measured a little narrower with the calipers, and seems to have done the trick.

2" PVC works well to get the seal seated...and using a 1.5' length made the install a lot easier.

Now if I can just figure out the part number for the right side. It doesn't leak, but I'd like a replacement on hand in case it starts.