amplifier replacement

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
cthomasparr

amplifier replacement

Post by cthomasparr »

My daughter's 2004 has the moons and tunes option and I believe the factory amp has failed. There is no sound on the driver's side and this problem persisted even after replacing the head unit.

Does anyone know if the factory amp was used in other cars?

I would try to pull one from a junk yard, but Vibes are not easy to come across, so if this amp was used in other GM models that would widen the search.
zbyers

Re: amplifier replacement

Post by zbyers »

Why not check to see if the speakers on that side are getting power first? Is it possible that the wires from replacing the head unit are not hooked up correctly causing a no sound issue?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

The problem started with the factory head unit and is still there with the replacement. Since the whole side is bad I suspect the amp
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'd expect but can't guarantee that the same amp was used in 03/04 Toyota Matrix's

Might be worth testing to make sure the speakers are still good. A number of us have had the speakers go, don't remember many if any had amps fail

The cheapest amp I can find on ebay is about $60, https://www.ebay.com/itm/164385043327

It is possible to bypass the amp, Vibes with and without moon&tunes used the same head units and speakers. I attached a wiring diagram to help you figure that out if you want to go that way You'd lose the tweeters unless you add a crossover, the amp does that now, I never found them to have much effect anyway.

Did you replace the head unit with an aftermarket one or with a replacement factory one?
Attachments
viberadio-MT.gif
viberadio-MT.gif (132.14 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

It was an aftermarket head unit

If amp failure is not a thing then maybe the speakers went out in a not so noticeable fashion. My daughter didn’t realize the whole side was out

The car didn’t have any water damage or know audio abuse so maybe it is the speakers or a connection

Now I will try checking output at the amp. Should not have rushed to any conclusion. Thanks