Is my Vibe Salvageable?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
RoaminVibe

Is my Vibe Salvageable?

Post by RoaminVibe »

Hey guys,

So to keep the story short- I was driving from Syracuse, NY to Detroit, MI on 1/1/21. Idiot on my right swerved into my lane in horrible conditions (freezing rain / sleet) on an overpass. I corrected, lost traction, and spun out, hitting the sidewall before I could steer out of it. Insurance is not helping out at all, and my car is currently in the impound lot to which it was towed, currently with a bill of $1,120 to release it. Insurance took until Friday to tell me they won't help me, and I need to figure out if this thing can be saved for an affordable amount, or if I'm S.O.L.

Has 110,000 miles on it. Been meticulously maintained, and before this crash was in excellent condition. I bought the car off my grandmother, who was the only owner about two months prior... but I need to know what to do next. I have VERY LITTLE money to repair this thing- much less get it out of impound. I could really use some input to see what someone knowledgeable thinks I might be looking at in terms of the next step to take.

Pics below... Thanks in advance for looking...
Attachments
IMG_7185.JPG
IMG_7185.JPG (884.62 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
IMG_7200.JPG
IMG_7200.JPG (745.21 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
IMG_7199.JPG
IMG_7199.JPG (912.1 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
IMG_7177.JPG
IMG_7177.JPG (938.07 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
RoaminVibe

Re: Is my Vibe Salvageable?

Post by RoaminVibe »

Have plenty of pics, but space to post is evidently limited...
Attachments
IMG_7207.JPG
IMG_7207.JPG (747.9 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
jolt

Post by jolt »

If I were you, I would take your pictures to a couple body shop and see if they could give me a rough estimate of the cost for repair. I say rough because other things will show up after they get the car but this will give you an idea of the cost involved. Next, look up on line at Kelly Blue Book or car pricing guide of your choice to get an idea of what the car is worth. This is more or less what the insurance companies do to figure if the car is totaled or not.

Take that car book value and minus the cost of repairs, towing, what the car is worth for scrap at salvage yard. If it is a negative number then it does not make sense to repair it. Sale what you have to a salvage yard and try to recoup your towing cost. Anything can be repaired, it is just a matter of if it is worth the cost.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

With $1200 owed to the tow company, and at least $1500-$2000 in repair fees to ensure the unibody isn't bent, and getting that body sheet metal fixed, your best bet is to just get another one.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Having never been in an accident before, I need an education.......how on earth can a tow cost $1100??? This sounds like a total gypsy extorsion scheme where any dirtbag towing company hauls away your car and then holds it hostage or takes possession by some archaic law of unpaid bills. Is this the way it is?
RoaminVibe

Post by RoaminVibe »

jolt wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:32 pm If I were you, I would take your pictures to a couple body shop and see if they could give me a rough estimate of the cost for repair. I say rough because other things will show up after they get the car but this will give you an idea of the cost involved. Next, look up on line at Kelly Blue Book or car pricing guide of your choice to get an idea of what the car is worth. This is more or less what the insurance companies do to figure if the car is totaled or not.

Take that car book value and minus the cost of repairs, towing, what the car is worth for scrap at salvage yard. If it is a negative number then it does not make sense to repair it. Sale what you have to a salvage yard and try to recoup your towing cost. Anything can be repaired, it is just a matter of if it is worth the cost.
I am 200 miles from the towing yard now, so I will be there in about three hours. I plan to take more photos to give someone a better idea of the impending repairs...

However, I do also know the yard offered to "significantly" discount the fees were I to just let them keep the vehicle.. but at what point do you think it makes more sense to cut my losses with the yard over paying to release it to me and parting it out? Any idea?
jolt

Post by jolt »

Most all towing places will charge you for storage per day. The longer you leave the car at the towing company, the more your going to pay to get the car out of there. Look up car salvage yards close to the tow company and see what they will pay for the car and if they will pick the car up from the tow company. $1200 is a lot for towing unless you had it towed in off business hours and had let it sit in storage, then the bill keeps adding up every day. The more you delay in deciding what to do, the more it is going to cost you. When it comes to business - time is money.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Man you are really being hosed ..... by EVERYBODY :twisted: That is easily repairable IF the car was yours free & clear and you had the shop to perform the work. What is insurance willing to give you as a totaled car? They should go to bat for you and help you out immensely. After this ordeal is done DROP them immediately.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jolt

Post by jolt »

Just a reminder that each state has it's own insurance laws and insurance coverage for auto's. If the OP did not have collision coverage on the car, it would not matter what state they are from, the insurance company is not going to cover it. We do not know the time line that this happened in so the towing may or may not be a rip off. A lot of unknowns here before judgement can be made about towing or insurance.
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

Sucks. If you saw my post three years ago on the Honda Fit owner's group (fitfreaks) you'd see that I had a very similar experience. I was so effed over by everyone I said F it, and I didn't drive for almost three years. Just came back to driving with an 04 Vibe this past summer, in an effort to get a job by having a car. And, just like with you, it was another driver's fault, which I successfully avoided collision with, but got totalled myself, and the other driver was gone never to be found. No advice, but tons of commiseration. Other folks on here really know their stuff so take their advice.