Engine Vibration

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
cptnsolo77

Engine Vibration

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I know the 1ZZ isnt the smoothest running engine, but I am in the middle of replacing all the engine mounts. I have had excessive vibration for quite some time and all the mounts were shot. The vibration has gotten better as I have replaced each mount ( one week apart for each ) I have one left ( the trans mount ) and still have a bit of vibration left the the steering wheel at idle. I expect the vibration to get better when I replace the last mount, but its been so long I have forgotten how the engine is SUPPOSED to feel :lol: With that said...do you still experience a bit of vibration in the steering wheel in drive ? I honestly cannot remember :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Caretaker

Re: Engine Vibration

Post by Caretaker »

Certainly. Aging plugs and ignition coils will also lead to shaking when in drive.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I replced the plugs and coils about a year ago. Thx though !
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Still in the same boat here as well. Now I'm curious if idle speed is a factor more so than the mounts. Service manual specs show 650-750 RPM. I've been watching the engine speed on the ScanGauge to get a more precise reading than the tach. In the upper end of the spec there is little vibration. But as the idle speed approaches 650, the vibrations get worse. Often it will drop below 650 and the vibrations are terrible at that point.

I've pulled the throttle body twice for cleaning. The second time I pulled the IAC and cleaned it as well as replaced the gasket. A few years back when I changed the intake gasket, I also changed the throttle body gasket so it's still in good shape.

What speed is yours idling when the vibrations are the worst?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

ColonelPanic wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:19 pm Still in the same boat here as well. Now I'm curious if idle speed is a factor more so than the mounts. Service manual specs show 650-750 RPM. I've been watching the engine speed on the ScanGauge to get a more precise reading than the tach. In the upper end of the spec there is little vibration. But as the idle speed approaches 650, the vibrations get worse. Often it will drop below 650 and the vibrations are terrible at that point.

I've pulled the throttle body twice for cleaning. The second time I pulled the IAC and cleaned it as well as replaced the gasket. A few years back when I changed the intake gasket, I also changed the throttle body gasket so it's still in good shape.

What speed is yours idling when the vibrations are the worst?
My idle speed is about 800 RPMs. Looks like its in the range. I replaced the trans mount and it feels MUCH better now. Driving it it feels very smooth and acceleration feel fine. My issue is just at idle when its cold. Theres still a little vibration when fully warmed up at idle but I may just leave it at that. Im at 270K and I dont wanna start chasing things like this. I think I drove too long with a mix of old and new engine mounts, and prematurely worn the new ones....so Im starting all over again :roll:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs