Engine Not Turning??

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
chrispbacon

Engine Not Turning??

Post by chrispbacon »

Hi there. My 2003 Pontiac Vibe stopped working yesterday and I was hoping someone could help me diagnose the problem.

So about 3 months ago I noticed that when I was at a red light or parked idling, the engine started to sag down or sputter down losing a bit of power, almost as if it is begging for more gas. Every time it did that I would just press the accelerator down so as to give it lots of gas and maybe 'clear its throat'. However in the last months its happened more frequently.

Now for the past month, the symptoms has gotten worse in that my right-turn signal is behaving strange as well. When I use my right-hand turn signal, the flashing light and associated clicking sound is way faster than usual. Like its double-time the cadence than it used to be. And also when I use it, the radio face LED backlights kind of flicker when I use it. In addition to this, recently every time I go to start the car, the engine has become weaker and weaker each time almost as if it has no power. Yesterday when leaving work, it barely turned over but thank god it started. When I got home, I turned off the ignition, and tried to start her up again, and nothing. It doesn't even make a sound.

So to summarize the symptoms:
  • -engine sagging/sputtering when parked or at red light
    -right-hand turn signal double the cadence
    -radio faceplate LED backlighting flicker when using right-hand turn signal
    -engine now does not crank when I turn on the ignition
Can anyone help?

Thank you.
Caretaker

Re: Engine Not Turning??

Post by Caretaker »

Yep: sounds like the alternator to me. If it has never been replaced, it is on overtime. My car did all kinds of poltergeist stuff when it was about to fail
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I think the double cadence right turn signal is a symptom of having a burned out right turn signal light bulb. By design, to help you notice a bad bulb.

Edit 12/28 after reading jolt's reply bleow

Just to be unambiguous, a burned out turn signal bulb may cause the fast blinker, but in no way am I suggesting that all of the problems are due to a burned out bulb. I agree with caretaker and jolt in that I'd suspect the alternator and/or battery for the sluggish and no crank.
Last edited by joatmon on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
jolt

Post by jolt »

A bad battery, alternator, cables, connections, etc can cause issues like you are having. Until you test to get some voltage readings and post some data, it is hard to say for sure what the problem is. With the information provided, all anyone can do is make a best guess and that could get expensive for you. Both joatmon and Caretaker are right in what the problems could be. It could also be something else too or a combination of issues.