OEM radio acting weird *HELP*

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
andrewman

OEM radio acting weird *HELP*

Post by andrewman »

05 with 250,000 miles. Everything works great on the car however, the radio LCD lights went out. I followed the post here (https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=26889) and was able to replace the lights very easily. However, now that I have the head unit back in the Vibe three buttons act odd and they all have to do with the CD player. Can you help me figure it out?

CD Eject button - when pressed the CD does NOT eject but every light on the LCD lights up.

CD/AUX button - when pressed the radio does NOT switch to the CD but changed some lights on the LCD display

preset 4 - does not change the radio station but does change some lights on the LCD display

And the biggest thing I find odd is that on the back of the head unit there is the radio cable and two cable clusters to plug in. The small cable cluster if I unplug it it seems to have no impact on the function of the unit. So I am thinking something there?

I have checked fuses and everything seems to be in working order - lights, cig, etc...

Thanks from Ohio
-Andrew
zbyers

Re: OEM radio acting weird *HELP*

Post by zbyers »

Unfortunately, I am of no help when it comes to electronic crap like this. Hopefully someone will have helpful info for you.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

the only thing I can think of to check is the wires running from the front panel to the radio guts, maybe one of them got stressed/broken off in the disassembly/reassembly
gman1981

Post by gman1981 »

PONTIAC VIBE BASE 2006 STD. Im suspecting the programed obsolece of red beater and theirs Matrix and corola cousins. RED BEATER is now up to 260 000km about 10 000km the radio light is gone it keep working and memory is programmed on bank one to fours... so lately as said the light was eratic but now its a gonner. So I endedup to my local scrap yard (Kenny upull) salvage a matrix radio in order to swap mine... but even.the replaced.unit show the same.malfunction black screen radio works. So im up here thinking there is a short or a circuits that is malfunctioning. Any one got the electronic schematix n diagram (p&id) of the electric audio componement so we.can elaborate and trouble shoot this annoyance...
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

gman1981 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:19 pm PONTIAC VIBE BASE 2006 STD. Im suspecting the programed obsolece of red beater and theirs Matrix and corola cousins. RED BEATER is now up to 260 000km about 10 000km the radio light is gone it keep working and memory is programmed on bank one to fours... so lately as said the light was eratic but now its a gonner. So I endedup to my local scrap yard (Kenny upull) salvage a matrix radio in order to swap mine... but even.the replaced.unit show the same.malfunction black screen radio works. So im up here thinking there is a short or a circuits that is malfunctioning. Any one got the electronic schematix n diagram (p&id) of the electric audio componement so we.can elaborate and trouble shoot this annoyance...
The GM radios suck and the lights burn out. It's simple enough to replace the bulb. Even simpler to spend $50-100 on a cheap radio kit at a local box store and just throw in a new radio and never have the same issue again.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe