How hard is it to replace front struts?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
radioarno

How hard is it to replace front struts?

Post by radioarno »

I brought my 04 vibe to another body shop to have him look at my destroyed front jack point. He said to fix it will cost more than the car's worth. He said I paid about 2x what I should have for the car (I paid 4500 five months ago for an 04 base automatic with 160k kms=100k miles). While he was looking at the front end he said my shocks are dead , "there's no liquid in them". Can I replace shocks myself. I looked online and it looks like I need a 30mm deep socket, and I have most of the other things. Is it a difficult job? If I don't replace them is something else going to get damaged from them not doing their job?
andrewclaus

Re: How hard is it to replace front struts?

Post by andrewclaus »

The 30 mm socket would be to remove the axle nut. That's not needed for the strut job. Your largest bolts will have 19 mm heads, as I recall. Soak those well with penetrating oil for a day or two before you work on it.

All the moving suspension parts will see some more wear with worn struts, and you'll have more tire wear, but I think most important is handling and safety. It's possible the tires could leave the road at a critical time. I replaced mine when I noticed the car shimmy when going over a freeway ramp bridge approach on a curve near home. My other car didn't do it, and neither did the Vibe with new struts.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The above is assuming you'll be buying strut assemblies with springs. Compressing springs can be difficult and hazardous without the best tools and some experience.
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

thanks. I'm going to get the complete strut assembly including mounts from rock auto. The youtube tutorial says replace stabilizer bars too. Should I order stab bar bushings and stab bar link in addition to the stab bar assembly?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

You absolutely can replace them yourself!

Definitely recommend picking up replacement sway bar end links. If you're in a rusty state, you'll have a heckuva time getting them off. No need to worry about the sway bar bushings, as those are the bushings that hold the sway bar to the vehicle and you won't be touching those.

You basically need to remove the tire, undo sway bar end link, undo the 10mm brake hose retainer bolt on the strut, three 14mm nuts on the strut top hat under the hood, undo the two 21mm nuts/bolts that hold the strut to the spindle....remove old, reinstall new. Below YouTube videos from some solid vendors on how to replace them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6xDaKtHKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuBKD41nXOc

The second video from TRQ shows what you may need to do if the sway bar end link fights you.

If you were close to me, I would offer to give you a hand.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

sweet. thanks. I'm going to do it. I'll keep you posted once I start.
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

just to clarify. Rock Auto has "stabilizer bar assembly" and "stabilizer bar link". Which of those do I get?
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/monr ... p.html#srp is this going to work? Quick strut? I'll just need this and the sway bar?
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

Rock Auto says I also need to get strut mount and strut bellow? I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere else.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

radioarno wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:14 am https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/monr ... p.html#srp is this going to work? Quick strut? I'll just need this and the sway bar?
Correct. That quick strut and the sway bar end link is everything you'd need for parts.

If you were buying the strut separate, and not the entire preassembled gizmo, you would need the strut mount, bellow, possibly bump stop, etc.

Best bet is to buy the quick strut you linked. No disassembling and reassembling of the struts required. Just unbolt the old, and bolt in the new.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
radioarno

Post by radioarno »

effin awesome. You're awesome. Thanks.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I am pondering replacing my front struts (now at 155,000 miles). I plan on asking any shop I use to install the Monroe quick struts. One place I went for a quote said that his records indicated 3 hours of labor. He was surprised to see that but indicated that it might mean that the windshield wiper plastic cowling might need to be removed. Can you tell me:
1. does the front cowling need to be removed to undo the top bolts?
2. do you think 3 hours labor is correct or should I push back and say that it should be fewer labor hours due to me wanting the fully assembled Monroe quick struts?
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

No on the cowling. Three hours for the pair sounds okay, even for a home mechanic, not each. If they're including an alignment, it sounds better.

There are often difficulties with suspension parts on old cars once you get into the job, so it's smart to have contingency funds for extra time and parts.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

thanks for that. The bolts certainly are in plain sight, but are directly below the cowling with a few inches of room to work. The one tire/chain store has 25% off for the entire job, with the coupon expiring at the end of the year so I have all year to think about spending the $850 or so for the strut replacement and alignment.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'm assuming that's on a post-refresh Vibe? (09-10)

I know that on the 03-08, it's not that bad. With the quick struts, I was just quoted $50 a corner for replacement by my local shop.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Last year after I bought my 04 back from my daughter I discovered how bad the struts were the first time I drove it. I paid my tire shop about $1100 to have all four replaced with Monroe Quick struts. I don't remember the breakdown on the parts vs labor, but it was well worth it to me to have someone else do the labor. Thirty years ago I'd have done it myself, but at this point my time is worth more to me.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Caretaker

Tie Rods and ......???

Post by Caretaker »

I just went to my local alignment shop with my trusty Groupon coupon. The technician came in and said my tie rods were totally shot and to come back to them after they are replaced. I am bringing it to my local mechanic tomorrow morning to verify all this. Questions:
1. is it smart/typical to have the front struts done at the same time as the tie rods or are they normally independent repairs?
2. if indeed the tie rods are shot, is this a driving hazard/danger and I should count myself lucky that someone caught it before my next long drive?
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

If tie rods are worn, you'll have poor steering control for a while, then complete loss of steering control if one breaks. And they're a critical component in the front end alignment, which should be done after strut replacement. If tie rods are worn, accurate alignment is impossible.

The tie rods attach to and control the steering knuckle, which is bolted to the bottom end of the strut. The strut provides the pivot around which the wheel assembly turns, along with a ball joint on the control arm below. They all work together.