Ran out of gas. Now the engine light is on

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
GrumpyCat

Ran out of gas. Now the engine light is on

Post by GrumpyCat »

So, for the first time in 20 years I let my car run out of gas. I put gas in it, and its been driving fine but the check engine light is on. I worry I may have screwed up the fuel filter or fuel injectors. The check engine reading I got from Auto Zone indicated the check engine light does have something to do with the fuel system. Would fuel injector cleaner or anything like that help?

Edit- 2008 vibe. 233000 miles
jolt

Re: Ran out of gas. Now the engine light is on

Post by jolt »

Hi GrumpyCat, fuel injector cleaner will not harm anything in the fuel system so you can try it. I doubt that it will fix the check engine problem but it would be the simple fix if it would work. It would help greatly if you could post the actual code. The code will should start with a "P" followed by four digits.

The Vibe does not have a fuel filter but does have a sock over the inlet for the fuel pump. To get to the filter sock, you must pull the fuel pump out of the gas tank. Vapor control system for the fuel tank can cause codes too and is part of the fuel system. Need code to home in on problem.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe!

It's no fun to run out of gas. I never did it in a Vibe, so not sure what things get triggered when that happens. I can imagine several error conditions that the car computer might flag if there's no fuel. As jolt said, it would help to know the actual code.

The car's computer sets an error code when it senses some trouble. The error flag and code don't tend to go away immediately when the error condition is corrected. It is entirely possible that there is nothing wrong with the car. There are a couple of ways to clear the check engine light
- Use a code reader to clear the code
- Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer
- Drive the car long enough and under whatever conditions the computer needs to see before it decides on its own that its ok to clear the code.

Since you say its running fine now, I'd go back to Auto Zone, get them to re-read the code (and let us know what it was), and have them clear it. Then assume/hope that it was just a transient thing, drive as you normally would, and wait to figure out what to do if the check engine light comes on again. (And follow up with us to let us know how its going, or anything else you feel like saying/asking.)

Another thing to know about check engine lights in Vibes, if it comes on steady, then it senses an issue it would like you to resolve at some point. If it comes on blinking, it is screaming for attention about a critical issue that you probably want to turn the car off as soon as safely possible
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Ditto the above. You have to complete a complicated "drive cycle" for the system to reset. Even if you get the system reset by a technician (and many car parts stores won't do that), the system won't show as "ready" until you do that drive cycle, and you won't be able to pass any emissions test. It may take a couple of days of driving in various conditions, including some cold accelerations and traveling at highway speeds, before the system resets. A few trips around the block won't do it. The code may go into non-volatile memory, so removing the battery cable may not do anything except mess up your radio and clock presets.

Ditto also that as long as it's a steady on light, it's not a concern. But next time you get a code read, write it down. We're just guessing otherwise.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Check your gas cap, make sure it on good and tight.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
GrumpyCat

Post by GrumpyCat »

P0171. Ill disconnect and reconnect the battery here in a bit and give you an update. thanks so much, everyone!
jolt

Post by jolt »

P0171 Possible Causes:

☼ Intake air leaks
☼ Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
☼Ignition misfiring
☼ Faulty fuel injectors
☼ Exhaust gas leaks
☼ Incorrect fuel pressure
Lack of fuel
☼Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
☼Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection

The "Lack of fuel" should stand out as to what caused this code and the the problem with the check engine light coming on. Clear the fault and it should be good. If disconnecting the battery to clear the code, the car will loose it's memory for idle speed also. Do not worry about it, the car will re-learn and smooth back out after driving around for about 20 minutes and/or some driving cycles on the car. Leave the battery disconnected for 15 minutes to make sure memory (and code) are wiped before connecting the battery back up.

Another outside possibility, but since the car is running well it is not very likely, is a bad fuel pump that would produce low fuel pressure and cause the code. Running a car below ¼ tank of fuel is not good for the fuel pump. The gasoline in the tank helps cool the electric fuel pump's motor. If the fuel drops below a ¼ tank, the fuel pump motor can run hotter than normal and add extra wear to the pump motor. Always try to keep at least ¼ tank of gas in the car for maximum fuel pump life.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

P0171 is likely the intake manifold gasket, especially if you live in a colder climate. The gasket shrinks a little, allowing a small air leak and thus throwing the code. Once warmed up, that small leak is sealed back up, and usually clears the light.

It's like a $15 part and an hour to replace it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

zbyers wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:15 am P0171 is likely the intake manifold gasket
Maybe normally, but in this case, running out of gas is the likely cause of a "too lean" condition. I'd reset the code, and see if it comes back before troubleshooting further.
jolt wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 am
Another outside possibility, but since the car is running well it is not very likely, is a bad fuel pump that would produce low fuel pressure and cause the code. Running a car below ¼ tank of fuel is not good for the fuel pump. The gasoline in the tank helps cool the electric fuel pump's motor. If the fuel drops below a ¼ tank, the fuel pump motor can run hotter than normal and add extra wear to the pump motor. Always try to keep at least ¼ tank of gas in the car for maximum fuel pump life.
I've heard that, but since the fuel pump is at the top of the tank, its not like its immersed in fuel as a coolant. My first Vibe I routinely averaged 700 miles a week, and often ran it well past when the low fuel light comes on at ~1/8 tank, never had any fuel pump issues. But my one item of anecdotal evidence is not an adequate sampling to say one way or another