Throttle body and iacv cleaning problems

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
thejas

Throttle body and iacv cleaning problems

Post by thejas »

Recently, I decided to take on the IACV and throttle body cleaning. I pulled everything apart got new gaskets and even that new o-ring gasket for where the electronic part connects to the IACV. I replace those crappy star screws with Allen wrench heads. The problem is, when I start the car after the initial raise of the idle from the starter, the car drops down to 500 RPMs and almost stalls. At that point, it then shoots itself back up to around 1100 RPMs. The temperature right now that I've been working in is around 45°F. Does this seem like a vacuum problem? Or is my IACV actually bad? Keep in mind before this job, the biggest problem I had was the car would idle really high (2k) when it was cold but as it warmed up would slowly drop to where it should be. Now even when it's 30° out and I start the car, it will spike when I first start it and immediately drop to 500 RPMs, almost stall, and then right back up but only to 1100 RPMs. After a few minutes when the car warms, it idles at 750rpms. I played with the tab at the end of the IACV where the electronic sensor connects when I had it apart. I realized that it clicks when turned almost like it has position points. Unfortunately, I can't remember the position it was when I took it apart. Based on how it looked inside though, in order for it to fit in that plastic slot inside the electronic piece, there's only so many ways it could be pointed. I was also wondering how loosely the IACV should be spinning without the electronic piece on. Are these steps when I spin it manually normal? Upon checking my vacuum lines everything seems to be fine. at this point the idle has definitely been relearned as I've put on over 50 mi on the vehicle. If anyone can help with this issue I would really appreciate it.
zbyers

Re: Throttle body and iacv cleaning problems

Post by zbyers »

Unfortunately, I am of no help in this category. Best bet is to maybe steal a new throttle body from a junkyard and use it to compare to yours for the position of the IACV.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe