power steering pump / motor mount drama

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
maggarjt

power steering pump / motor mount drama

Post by maggarjt »

2005 Pontiac vibe base 1.8L auto
132k miles

So I recently replaced serpentine belt tensioner and belt and all motor mounts to OEM parts and 2 things happened.

1. I noticed the power steering pump pulley pulls away from the body roughly 1/2 mm and I cant imagine that is good. The wheel seems to rotate correctly but I assume that play in the wheel is not normal right? I didn't see a way to replace the wheel so I assume I need a whole pump? Does anyone know if their is a list of parts for the pump and all the seals I need to replace?

2. I stripped the soft bolt holes in the passenger wheel well mount and I was leaning towards machine shop as the threads are pretty boogered up and I assume need tapped and some welding done for the nut under the fender. It looks like someone else was in there at some other point. The bolts are all in and the car is idling smooth but they don't tighten to the torque spec. They spin in place at the bottom of the travel but with just enough tension to drive it slowly.

Thanks for any advice. I will search the threads for more guidance but would love to see what people have run into.
andrewclaus

Re: power steering pump / motor mount drama

Post by andrewclaus »

Here's a PS pump parts breakdown for the Matrix: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... r-steering

If the pump works, a little shaft end play probably isn't fatal. I wouldn't worry about it until it fails. You have bigger fish to fry anyway.

For the mount bolts, do you have access to the other end? Can you get a longer bolt and back it up with a nut?
zbyers

Re: power steering pump / motor mount drama

Post by zbyers »

For point 2, those bolts thread into welded nuts inside the fender/frame. To fix, you'll likely have to cut a hole, remove the nut, and retack weld a replacement, or just use a nut/bolt and call it a day. Then, of course, seal up your hole to repair.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe