Scan Tool Find

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
CanadianYeti

Scan Tool Find

Post by CanadianYeti »

Puttering around on the internet, I happened to stumble across a website offering the GM specific scan tool the techs use called the Tech 2 without having to shell out a good chunk of change. The install is complicated and poorly instructed but seems to be the bee's knees once it works. I haven't purchased the OBD2 interface yet but the program operates exactly like the real scan tool does. The website is www.vxdiagshop.com, and the tool even supposedly offers ecm programming. I scrolled through the menus to double check, and sure enough the vibe was there so it should work! It might even work with matrixes as well. If anyone else has experience with the VXDiag or the program Tech2Win I'd love to hear your opinion.
05 Vibe Base 5 speed, currently stock
zbyers

Re: Scan Tool Find

Post by zbyers »

I think the challenge you'd have is the Vibe ECU/ECM is actually from Toyota. While GM may have a program that would read Vibe codes, Toyota has the ECU pretty well locked down, so tuning/programming isn't easily done.

That said, I bought a Bluedriver code reader for $100. Recently pulled SRS, ABS, and CEL codes on mom's car. Also has the option of pulling live data. Bought it for my Honda, as my cheap $10 one from eBay won't work on the Hondas or Nissans I have access too.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I have an old copy of Toyota Techstream with the Mini VCI adapter, and it recognizes the Vibe as a Pontiac Vibe. It reads all chassis codes as well. It's only $20, but it needs a Win7 32 bit machine. Based on that experience, you should probably get a Toyota package.
CanadianYeti

Post by CanadianYeti »

Thanks for the information! While Tech2Win offers options for things like pulsing the abs module to bleed brakes and component relearns as well as stock ecu programming with a subscription to ACDelco, I will definitely look into techstream as well. So far I've had luck running things on a laptop with linux and a windows emulator, so both might be options for different functions.
05 Vibe Base 5 speed, currently stock
jolt

Post by jolt »

andrewclaus wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm I have an old copy of Toyota Techstream with the Mini VCI adapter, and it recognizes the Vibe as a Pontiac Vibe. It reads all chassis codes as well. It's only $20, but it needs a Win7 32 bit machine. Based on that experience, you should probably get a Toyota package.
I have the same thing as andrewclaus and it works very well. I have Techstream on a old Windows XP lap top. The software has to be installed on a 32-bit windows system and should have USB 2.0. My old laptop has USB 1.1 on it and some times the thing will lock up from communications problem from the slow USB port. I also have a Launch CRP129 that I use. It will read most everything out there, not just Toyota. The strange thing with the Launch is that if I use it on the Vibe, I have to pick Toyota Matrix from the Launch menu. If I use GM and put in the proper VIN letter, the Launch scanner can not detect the Vibe.
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

jolt wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:51 am ... I also have a Launch CRP129 that I use. It will read most everything out there, not just Toyota. The strange thing with the Launch is that if I use it on the Vibe, I have to pick Toyota Matrix from the Launch menu. If I use GM and put in the proper VIN letter, the Launch scanner can not detect the Vibe.
I just ordered the Launch CRP123E so that will be good to know about getting it to work. I had noted they did not list "Pontiac" from the list of supported vehicle but figured I'd try some others. Did you put in your Vin # along with the Matrix, or just leave off the Vin # ?
2005 Base - 220k
jolt

Post by jolt »

Jbenrod wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:42 pm I just ordered the Launch CRP123E so that will be good to know about getting it to work. I had noted they did not list "Pontiac" from the list of supported vehicle but figured I'd try some others. Did you put in your Vin # along with the Matrix, or just leave off the Vin # ?
No VIN number needed for the Matrix on the CRP129. The CRP123E is a newer version then my CRP129. I think the operating software is different in the newer "E" versions of the Launch products.