Does the computer control the charging system?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
CNYDave

Does the computer control the charging system?

Post by CNYDave »

I know some cars the computer controls the alternator, wondering if the '05 Vibe is like that.

Was overcharging, replaced alternator, seemed OK, still had the camshaft sensor P0016 disagree code, replaced the sensor, 2 drives later the lights were going bright/dim while driving, battery, airbag, and check engine lights all came on.

GM says this car not subject to the computer bad-solder-joints recall.

Thanks
joatmon

Re: Does the computer control the charging system?

Post by joatmon »

I know that the computer is not involved in charging/voltage regulation in the 03's, I'd be extremely surprised if it was in your 05.

Lights going bright/dark could be the drl's doing their thing depending on ambient light and dimmer switch setting, but the other things sound more like a loose/bad electrical connection somewhere. The P0016 might be unrelated/separate issue.
jolt

Re: Does the computer control the charging system?

Post by jolt »

Bad cables and/or wiring connections can cause voltages to fluctuate. This will then cause the alternator output to fluctuate also. Is the battery in good condition? You can never have to many ground wires so check continuity or ohm's from your alternator body to the ground at the battery. It should read zero ohms or very close to zero. It could be a bad alt too, or the alt is being damaged by bad connections or a bad battery.