Door stops and rust musings

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
CNYDave

Door stops and rust musings

Post by CNYDave »

Vibe was driven for a while (not me) with no drivers door stop, both the door lower hinge bolt point (severely) and the body where the upper hinge mounts (not too bad) cracked.

Turns out those door stops are important.

Took fender and door off to MIG weld the cracks (turned out pretty good), the rust part is noting the absolute failure of the body panels and plastic guards and such to prevent dirt and muck from accumulating just behind the front wheel-well, an impressive amount of schmutz was behind there.

Also the replacement door stop was wrong, when the door was closed the stop hit the window slightly (if lowered), if you tried to lower the window all the way with the door shut it hit the stop. Maybe they sent the wrong side?
Anyway being a cheap SOB I removed the pin, flipped the stop arm over, and repinned it.
joatmon

Re: Door stops and rust musings

Post by joatmon »

a not uncommon aging problem in these cars is that over time, the door metal around the door stop can be slightly deformed causing the door stop to contact the window going up/down. Some people ground off the tip of the door stop. Nice fix to flip and repin the door stop
CNYDave

Post by CNYDave »

Thanks.

Maybe it was both, the curve went the wrong way and then I did have to grind back the stop too!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The door stops are interchangeable as well, between all doors. Angles are slightly different, but basically the same. Simplest solution is to grind the corner off that hits the window, just like you did.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
CNYDave

Post by CNYDave »

That's what's funny, before flipping it was a lot more than just part of the tab sticking into the window path. It was a new part so probably they gave me one for the wrong car.