Engine mounts, vibration and CEL ***UPDATE CEL FIXED***

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
cptnsolo77

Engine mounts, vibration and CEL ***UPDATE CEL FIXED***

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Ok fellow Genvibers....I think I made a boo-boo. I replaced 3 engine mounts ( sides and front ) The rear mount ( firewall side ) I did NOT want to tackle, BUT it was SHOT and made a mistake of saving it for later. WELLLL 9 months and 10,000 miles later due to this COVID crap and just being busy I finally replaced that last mount. Engine vibration is much improved but I still have a bit of vibration that Im not happy with. I was expecting smoother. I know the 1ZZ isnt the smoothest engine and inherently has some vibration but it feels more than it should be. So the question....is it possible I may the ruined the new mounts driving with that one bad one for that long ? I did purchase OEM toyota mounts. I think I know the answer but need confirmation.

I also have a PO440, PO441, PO446 codes. Can that cause a rough idle ? I hoping its the codes causing that last bit of vibration. NOT the mounts. If I need to replace the other 3 so be it. Im not getting rid of this car :lol: Stupid me...I should have replaced the mounts all at one time, and i wouldnt be playing this guessing game. I know better....:roll:
Last edited by cptnsolo77 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
zbyers

Re: Engine mounts, vibration and CEL

Post by zbyers »

I highly doubt 10k miles destroyed those three new mounts. I don't think those codes would cause much vibration as they are only emissions related.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

zbyers wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:39 am I highly doubt 10k miles destroyed those three new mounts. I don't think those codes would cause much vibration as they are only emissions related.
I found a video of Pat Goss diagnosing engine mounts with a floor jack. Just place the jack under the oil pan and raise it just slightly to see if the vibrations lessen. I Placed it under the trans pan because it more of a flat surface and felt safer like that. I would think its the same concept. If you disagree let me know. I didnt feel any changes in engine vibration. So i guess i can rule out the engine mounts....???

Hmmmm....maybe I have another issue, thats not throwing a code ? Vacuum leak etc ? Thanks for your advice. This is annoying. Although the Vibe has 267K, I like to keep it running as well as I possibly can. I did find online that that those codes can cause rough idle, although I am not experiencing a drop in MPG. I guess the obvious next step would be to find the cause of the CEL and see what happens. Thx ! 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I tracked down Pat's video - that was a neat way to test. Never thought about that!

I replaced the mounts in phases (from easiest to that just-fricken-get-me-out-of-my-misery rear mount.) Probably no more than a few hundred miles from start to finish and still ended up with vibrations (only when idling/in gear/brakes applied.)

Things seemed to get worse when I installed the front mount. It and the passenger side were aftermarket but I opted for Toyota for the other two since they were more involved to install and those were jobs I didn't want to risk having to do again. In my case, I could accept that it'could be the front mount that's bad. I'd have a tougher time being quick to blame a full set of OEM mounts though.

Eons ago, the transmission kicked the bucket on the Vibe I used to have. When I got it back, it had a similar rough idle. I was quick to blame the mounts (or an issue created when dropping the trans.) Brought it back and the dealer said the mounts were fine but it was idling too slow. They ended up cleaning the throttle body, that fixed it. I haven't really paid much attention to the RPM's at idle on this one when it's vibrating. I did clean the throttle body a while back, but that didn't do a whole lot for it.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thx for the advice. I think I might have cleaned the throttle body/IAC/MAF sensor last year but cant recall. Could have beenthe year before. I dont go too long without cleaning the TB and MAF sensor. I will give it a shot anyway when I get the chance. I think my best bet is to clear the CEL. 2 of the 3 codes point to a faulty purge valve. Its cheap and easy to install. Im at the point with the Vibe where it has so many miles if i spend 40 bux on a part and it doesnt solve the problem, its no big deal to me. The vibration isnt terrible but I can be VERY picky. I know its there but it drives me nuts LOL. At this age and miles the purge valve would need to be changed anyway. I did the math regarding a newer car and for the money its just not worth it. I will never EVER spend 3000 to 4000 on repairs a year for the Vibe :lol:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
maggarjt

Post by maggarjt »

I have finally fixed the majority of my rough idle issues after messing with everything known to man. I did the intake manifold and throttle body gaskets, all 4 motor mounts(aftermarket), coil packs, plugs and nothing was working. I checked for vacuum leaks and replaced some cracked intake parts etc....

The timing chain tensioner replace to fix minor oil leak seemed to do the most for me.

I have 2 injectors and am looking for2 more before I replace those.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

maggarjt wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:30 pm I have finally fixed the majority of my rough idle issues after messing with everything known to man. I did the intake manifold and throttle body gaskets, all 4 motor mounts(aftermarket), coil packs, plugs and nothing was working. I checked for vacuum leaks and replaced some cracked intake parts etc....

The timing chain tensioner replace to fix minor oil leak seemed to do the most for me.

I have 2 injectors and am looking for2 more before I replace those.
I have some used injectors if you want them. unsure of miles as they were on the motor when we pulled it from the junkyard. pretty sure they work, we just used the originals we had as we knew they worked.

maggarjt

Post by maggarjt »

Yea. I need 2 of the blue injectors. Do you have a resistance reading on them? My new injectors have ohm readings lower than the ones in the car. The old ones are 13.4 avg and the new ones read 12.5 or so. I assume they gain resistance as they age or get blocked up. PM me with details of how to get them.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

maggarjt wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:27 pm Yea. I need 2 of the blue injectors. Do you have a resistance reading on them? My new injectors have ohm readings lower than the ones in the car. The old ones are 13.4 avg and the new ones read 12.5 or so. I assume they gain resistance as they age or get blocked up. PM me with details of how to get them.
I'll have to check what injectors I have this weekend when I am out in the shop. Try to remind me as I have a tendency to forget :D

cptnsolo77

Re: Engine mounts, vibration and CEL ***UPDATE CEL FIXED***

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I have driven over 400 miles since I replaced the purge valve and no CEL. Looks I fixed it. Engine still vibrates though, but at Ieast I narrowed it down. 40 bucks and 10 minutes, so im not complaining one bit :lol:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs