2006 parking brake cable replacement

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
pwyu1969

2006 parking brake cable replacement

Post by pwyu1969 »

Hi all, I have to change out my rear parking brake cables. I can see where they run and where they get to the Y-bracket. Here’s my question. The heat shield that blocks the view has two 10mm nuts, easy access, then one nut blocked by exhaust pipe. Then even if I can get the nut off without rounding or breaking, the exhaust pipe is right in the way. If I do get the heat shield, is there room to get to y-joint or do I have to drop the exhaust? I’m in MI, it’s pretty rusty in there and I have 225k, so I’m not looking to put a ton of money into it. Any suggestions or tips?
tpollauf

Re: 2006 parking brake cable replacement

Post by tpollauf »

I take it you have a manual tranny ? If not, then don't bother with the repair. Also, it sounds like this Vibe spent it's entire life up there in Michigan?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
pwyu1969

Post by pwyu1969 »

Yeah, I have a manual so I do need it. MI winters are tough on the underside. But in ended up finding a video for a corolla. Looks like I just undo the rubber hangers and let the exhaust hang to get clearance to get heat shields off etc...
jolt

Post by jolt »

Good luck getting the nuts off that heat shield. My '09 rotted out the shield around the rear mounting bolt and fill down onto the exhaust making noise. There was no way to get that nut off without twisting the bolt off with the nut. The bolt was long enough for me to run a die over the threads, to clean the rust off, and put two stainless steel fender washers to sandwich the heat shield and another stainless steel nut on the end of the bolt. You may get the nuts off if you split them with a nut cracker. Once again, good luck to you.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Just cut off the heat shield and call it a day. You will also likely need to remove the spring bolts at the muffler joint by the rear axle to make accessing the parking brake cables a little easier. I replaced both of my rear cables previously...Took me maybe an hour to do both.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe