Fob Will Not Work Unless 5 Feet From Vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BrandonMassey

Fob Will Not Work Unless 5 Feet From Vibe

Post by BrandonMassey »

Ahh another problem I cannot find the answer to myself by simply looking it up, so a little less than a year ago I installed ghost lights and whilst hooking them up to my dome light wire in the A Pillar panel I shorted the fuse, rookie mistake never again, but it messed up my dome lights and I had to replace the Integreation Relay Module box by the fuse panel under the driver side dash and it fixed my issues, a problem I've had since then is that now my fob only works like either 5 feet from my car or when I'm farther away I have to spam the crap out of it for it to work and it isn't close to as far ranged as it used to be, I replaced my fob battery and it didn't make a difference, but like I said when I'm about 4-5 feet away from the front of the car it seems to work correctly, so it leads me to think maybe the antenna is messed up because I think it wouldn't work right at all if it was the module, I don't know where the module or antenna is but I figured I'd ask here first before taking my car apart again, I've taken the dash completely off twice as well and I also did that while installing the ghost lights so I don't know if that could have caused the issue or if the short did, it started after all of that crap went down so I believe it was caused by me and not wear over time etc. Any help is appreciated I love this forum! (The car also only came with one fob when my parents bought it for me when I turned 16, I've read that usually they come with 2? So I have no tester fob)
zbyers

Re: Fob Will Not Work Unless 5 Feet From Vibe

Post by zbyers »

What year? 03-08? Pick up a new fob for one on eBay for like $10.

https://www.ebay.com/i/124170717624?chn ... t0QAvD_BwE

Program it yourself using the write up here on the forum.

viewtopic.php?t=1102

If you experience the same issue, something is definitely up with the module/antenna.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

On my 03, the fob receiver was above and slightly behind the rear passenger side tire, behind the plastic interior trim. Have to pull the interior trim for access, unless you have squid arms to reach in from the tail light access door. Can't remember, but I think the receiver module doesn't have a separate external antenna. I never pulled that trim, I think I once was able to barely touch it, but I don't have squid arms.

The matrix fobs also have a red panic button on the back. I bought one of those, and made it a full two days before I reached into my pocket for something else and accidentally set it off flashing and beeping. Even if the fob isn't the problem, getting another one will let you rule out the fob as a possible villain.

It is odd that it coincided with replacement of the integration relay, but also that its a range issue. I'd expect it to either work or not. In the attached 03 Matrix wiring diagram for the wireless door control, it shows the receiver gets power from the dome fuse, and since it was the dome wire shorting that started all of this, maybe the receiver was affected.
Attachments
034wdlc.pdf
03 wireless door lock control PDF
(103.9 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

Thank you, and getting a new fob won't bother me because my unlock button is a little mashed in since I've gotten it but yes, it functions fine and it did function fine but I will eliminate that problem and get a new one sometime and try that out, either way it makes me feel better someone else is thinking similar to what I thought was the problem, ill get back to you guys as soon as i can.
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

joatmon wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:53 am On my 03, the fob receiver was above and slightly behind the rear passenger side tire, behind the plastic interior trim. Have to pull the interior trim for access, unless you have squid arms to reach in from the tail light access door. Can't remember, but I think the receiver module doesn't have a separate external antenna. I never pulled that trim, I think I once was able to barely touch it, but I don't have squid arms.

The matrix fobs also have a red panic button on the back. I bought one of those, and made it a full two days before I reached into my pocket for something else and accidentally set it off flashing and beeping. Even if the fob isn't the problem, getting another one will let you rule out the fob as a possible villain.

It is odd that it coincided with replacement of the integration relay, but also that its a range issue. I'd expect it to either work or not. In the attached 03 Matrix wiring diagram for the wireless door control, it shows the receiver gets power from the dome fuse, and since it was the dome wire shorting that started all of this, maybe the receiver was affected.
I got the new fob in today and did the programming this evening and got it working first try, now I have a panic button as well that works but it didn't fix my issue, fob is fully functional but still has range issues, im probably gonna try and take a look at that module and possibly replace it but any other suggestions would be appreciated, im still happy i got a brand new fob it feels way better to press than my original lol.
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

Can anyone tell me where the location of the module in an 06 vibe? I can't find it at all sadly, also if anyone knows a link to a module to buy that'd be helpful too, I just can't find anything for some reason or I don't know if the info is correct.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

BrandonMassey wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:16 pm Can anyone tell me where the location of the module in an 06 vibe? I can't find it at all sadly, also if anyone knows a link to a module to buy that'd be helpful too, I just can't find anything for some reason or I don't know if the info is correct.
I believe I saw mention before that it was located in the cargo area behind one of the panels. I am not 100% positive though. You may be able to locate a module from a junkyard using www.car-part.com.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

While I was at a junkyard the other day for some other parts I found a 2005 moon and tunes vibes and I pulled it apart in the back to look for this keyless entry module and i found nothing besides some seatbelts, a subwoofer, and the gas refill entry, i didn't find anything besides those. So I do not believe the module is behind the cargo interior panels in my year vibe.
Attachments
20200906_081500.jpg
20200906_081500.jpg (184.29 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
20200906_081428.jpg
20200906_081428.jpg (192.93 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
20200906_081410.jpg
20200906_081410.jpg (130.97 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
20200906_081317.jpg
20200906_081317.jpg (249.24 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Well, I thought it was in there, but I was going on other folks info, and had never pulled that trim panel to verify, so I humbly apologize for misleading you. I have no idea what I was able to feel in that area on mine when I had it. If I still owned one, I'd go yank the trim and check myself.

One of those sources was the 03 Matrix service manual, which shows the receiver location in this pic
rkercv.jpg
rkercv.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
I can't find any definitive source for the location in a Vibe or Matrix, but given the similarity to other Toyota products, there is this youtube video for an 03-08 Corolla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf_SaOyGAGU

If its in the same place, then that would put it behind the trim panel above the one that you removed at the junkyard.

While typing this, I had an idea, and checked:

In viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47447 crispbacon posted a number of excellent photos of his Vibe interior with the trim removed. I grabbed one of them, cropped it, resized it and drew an arrow to what I'd wager is the receiver.

maybe_rke.jpg
maybe_rke.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

I'm not upset at all, it's trial and error with cars and I appreciate the help and suggestions greatly, but I never took the panels off where the pictures are showing the receiver so I actually think you're probably right on your lead to where it is and I'll check it out when I can, really appreciate your help, found nothing elsewhere to help me so.. 🙌
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

joatmon wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:54 am Well, I thought it was in there, but I was going on other folks info, and had never pulled that trim panel to verify, so I humbly apologize for misleading you. I have no idea what I was able to feel in that area on mine when I had it. If I still owned one, I'd go yank the trim and check myself.

One of those sources was the 03 Matrix service manual, which shows the receiver location in this pic

rkercv.jpg

I can't find any definitive source for the location in a Vibe or Matrix, but given the similarity to other Toyota products, there is this youtube video for an 03-08 Corolla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf_SaOyGAGU

If its in the same place, then that would put it behind the trim panel above the one that you removed at the junkyard.

While typing this, I had an idea, and checked:

In http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 28&t=47447 crispbacon posted a number of excellent photos of his Vibe interior with the trim removed. I grabbed one of them, cropped it, resized it and drew an arrow to what I'd wager is the receiver.

maybe_rke.jpg
I got one from a junkyard a while ago from the location you showed in the picture and I took the entire inside of my car apart to do some work and replaced the part and it fixed the issue, I had to get a new fob like a few days after though for some reason it was weird idk if it didn't like the new module or something 😂😂 but my receiver finally receives now
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

BrandonMassey wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:04 am ...
but my receiver finally receives now
Great news, congrats on the fix!

My first Vibe didn't have the power package, so no keyless entry, no power windows/locks, no cruise control. Now all my vehicles have keyless entry, don't think I will ever choose to go back (unless its some incredibly sweet classic car, but that's unlikely at this point)