Electronic Stability Control

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Caretaker

Electronic Stability Control

Post by Caretaker »

My HET has the ESC light coming on and off every other day. I took it out to a parking lot and did donuts to confirm that the ESC is definitely NOT working. The anti lock brake system still does work. Tell me about the ESC. Is it just a sensor or some motorized mechanical part? My inclination is to not fix it as we don't go around curves at 80 mph and we will never have the car on ice ever again. I just want to know what the approximate cost would be and what the part is. I get a blank when typing electronic stability control into rockauto or carparts.com
Caretaker

Re: Electronic Stability Control

Post by Caretaker »

...additional info: I went to Autozone to have the OBD scanner read out the code. Their small OBD-IIs do not read out ESC codes. I then went to Hyundai and had them bring out their scanner. Same thing; no information even though the ESC light comes on (steady light) each time I drive the car. The Hyundai Service Writer said that I need a large machine typically found at a mechanic's shop. I then drove home and found an empty lot with gravel and did some more donuts. To my surprise, the ESC light would flash each time I whirled around. The light then went out; and then a few blocks later, came on again (steady light) as usual. I thought the blinking light indicated that the ESC system was engaged and working, so I'm totally confused as to why the light comes on each day and stays lit. I"m sure not going to pay the dealer $70 for 1/2 hours worth of diagnosis. I'll just steer clear of ice. :lol:
jolt

Post by jolt »

Hi Caretaker, have you checked on the info here? http://www.hemanual.org/hyundai_elantra ... -1048.html

To get to info about ESC, you will find it in the brake section or click here: http://www.hemanual.org/esc_electronic_ ... -1900.html

Then you will want to check the troubleshooting section for ESC or click here: http://www.hemanual.org/troubleshooting-1910.html

To read any codes for the braking system and ESC, you need a scanner that can read C codes or chassis codes. You will need to spend around $150 or more for a reader that does chassis code reading. This is not a generic power trouble code. Basically without the code, you will be guessing as the ESC relays on the ABS system and your ESC light may be caused by a problem with the ABS system. I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-Support-T ... B073GW5MTS It is probably the cheapest reader for C codes. I do not know remember if it will read any ESC coding but I do remember reading each of my wheel speed sensor speeds.

I have a '12 KIA Sorento and I know that KIA has a service bulletin out on the rear wheel speed sensors on the '11-'13 Sorento. If you get a DTC codes ranging from C1206 to C1211 it can be caused by water intrusion into the rear wheel speed sensor and the rear hub has to be changed. This is on the two wheel drive Sorento, which is the same basic drive train as the KIA Optima. I am not up on the Hyundai side of things but is the Elantra the sister model of the Optima? If you dig, you may find service bulletins for the Elantra.

ps Forgot to add that the Launch CPR-123 can read about any car make out there. It can be used on the Vibes too and your other cars. If you get one and want to use it on your Vibe, you have to select Toyota Matrix and it work fine. If you pick GM and the VIN number for the GM model, the Launch does not work. I have updated mine so it may work as a GM model now but I have not tried it. That is the other thing about the Launch is that it is up gradable with downloads over the internet. Newer car models get added with the updates. The only thing I would like different with the CPR-123 is that it would have a bigger screen, which you can get now if you spend more money.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

FWIW, AutoZone has a loaner scanner tool that might read the ESC codes. I know their loaner scanner is supposed to read ABS/SRS codes, but I haven't had much success on some cars. I dunno if it will actually do the ESC.

You are correct though-- as far as I know flashing means the system engaged.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thanks very much Jolt. I'm trying not to get freaked out by reading through the ESC troubleshooting section in the one link you sent, especially regarding the steering angle sensor as it relates to the ESC. We had the rubber steering coupler replaced by our mechanic in San Diego and I'm now wondering if they may have messed something up when they took the whole steering column apart. For now, I'm still going to cross my fingers and assume there isn't a serious mechanical issue which will alter the safety of my HET. The HET is essentially built with old style Kia-Hyundai Sonata parts. The car IMO is not worth having any major repairs done to it. One of the first questions the Hyundai Service Writer asked me was whether we had any mismatched tires on the car, indicating a wheel speed sensor issue.
My wife reports that the light has been coming on since our San Diego days, so the car has now driven 1.75 times across the country since then without any issues. Now knowing it could be one of a dozen different things, I'm choosing to ignore the whole thing.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Another thing the CPR-123 can do is set the steering wheel angle sensor. It is worth the money if you are into repairing your own cars. Snap-On tools sells this reader under the Launch US brand for around $600. The I linked to from Amazon is the same tester as the Snap-On one, it just comes from manufacture distributors in China and the support / update files come through the manufacture; not from the US site. Of coarse a tool is only as good as the person using it, so you have to know what you are doing to get the full benefit from it.