Anybody replace the wiper fluid pump?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
SlammedNiss

Anybody replace the wiper fluid pump?

Post by SlammedNiss »

Pretty sure mine is bad for the front nozzles. I barely get a small drip when I pull the wiper arm. I can hear the pump turn on but nothing really happens. The back I at least get it running out and not a spray, but I think that's normal for the back. So, has anybody replaced the pump before? Seems like a cheap part. YT vid says I need to remove the front bumper cover, but I'm hoping I can access it by just removing the front passenger fender liner.

Any info is appreciated. Wanted to get this done if I can before I put the car up for sale.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Re: Anybody replace the wiper fluid pump?

Post by Caretaker »

Since you do hear the pump operating, and yes the rear "sprayer" (which is nothing more than a waterfall and not a spray) is working properly, perhaps you can blow compressed air into the front rubber tubes and free whatever is blocking water from coming out the nozzle.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

For a quick diagnosis, swap the pumps around. If the front sprays, and rear doesn't, the pump is dying.

If both are working, it's possible the fluid line is pinched or disconnected under the hood.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There's a write up at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29788 but at some point it lost the pics and formatting.

I'd think if you can hear the pump running, its more likely a problem with the line (or fluid level ;) ) than the pump

Hope you have something cool to fill the emptiness from selling a car you've had for so long,
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

zbyers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 am For a quick diagnosis, swap the pumps around. If the front sprays, and rear doesn't, the pump is dying.

If both are working, it's possible the fluid line is pinched or disconnected under the hood.
Does the front and back use the same model pump? If so, didnt know that, but would definitely make it easy to diagnose.
joatmon wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:19 am There's a write up at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29788 but at some point it lost the pics and formatting.

I'd think if you can hear the pump running, its more likely a problem with the line (or fluid level ;) ) than the pump

Hope you have something cool to fill the emptiness from selling a car you've had for so long,
thanks for the link. I know it isnt the fluid level as 1: the back one "sprays" and 2: I topped off the reservoir a couple weeks ago.
2011 Rav4 Sport
Mark

Post by Mark »

Both of my pumps got broke in the last crash I had, as well as the tank. The pumps just pull out of the tank and can be easily replaced, just set a bucket underneath before you pull one and let it drain. I picked up the tank and two pumps for just a few bucks at the local u-pull-it yard. You can buy new ones from a Toyota dealer or something close enough from NAPA, but if you have a junk yard nearby that's I'd go that route.

You could unplug the line from the front pump and have someone hit the washer, you'll know pretty quick whether it's the pump or a clogged line.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SlammedNiss wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:32 pm
zbyers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 am For a quick diagnosis, swap the pumps around. If the front sprays, and rear doesn't, the pump is dying.

Does the front and back use the same model pump? If so, didnt know that, but would definitely make it easy to diagnose.
Yeeep some pump last I knew.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Finally got a chance to diagnose the problem today, and luckily it was just clogged, specifically the nozzles themselves. So whatever was in the line made it all the way to the nozzles and needed just a little bit more pressure with the air hose to blow it out.
2011 Rav4 Sport