Dash Lights go Out when in Park

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
copterpilot

Dash Lights go Out when in Park

Post by copterpilot »

Does anyone know what might cause the dash lights to go off when shifted to park? I have replaced the Ignition switch and ignition key cylinder to no effect. It's a base model 2005 Vibe.
Caretaker

Re: Dash Lights go Out when in Park

Post by Caretaker »

Have you tried turning the dash light "knob" which I believe in the first gen is also the roller switch to the left of your steering wheel above the storage compartment? Most cars have it in the speedometer/tacometer display as a multi function button for resetting (by pushing) the mileage counter. My guess is that your roller switch got turned down after someone cleaned the dash with armorall :P
copterpilot

Post by copterpilot »

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check that and it is fine. The lights work in every gear except in Park. They shut off for some reason.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe

Is it just the lights in the instrument cluster or is it all the lights in the dash?

Can you tell if your tail lights go out when the dash lights go out?
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

There is a lamp in the shift console. That's the only connection I can see between shifting and illumination. Perhaps when the shift lever is placed in park, the circuit is opened. I'd look for a loose connection inside the shift console.

As mentioned above, it might help to know specifically which "dash lights" don't work, as well as any exterior lights. What about map lights, dome lights, etc.
copterpilot

Post by copterpilot »

The headlights, dome lights, radio, A/C light all work. Seems to be just the instrument lights. I will check the taillights tomorrow and post the results.
copterpilot

Post by copterpilot »

The taillights work, but now the engine shuts off when shifted to Park! This is the weirdest problem I have seen in a car!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Is the check engine light on? If so, what are the codes?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I'd suspect the shift lever position switch. It has inputs to the ECM. If it tests out, I'd then suspect the ECM. It's on the front of the transaxle, toward the left side of the car. It looks like it's Toyota part number 84540-48010, but check with your VIN to be sure.

That switch also controls the back up lights. Do those work?
copterpilot

Post by copterpilot »

No CEL unfortunately as that would help pinpoint potential problems. No codes either. I'll check the backup lights.
Floridavibes

Post by Floridavibes »

Did you check the main battery ground wire? I had a slightly similar problem with mine because the ground wire had shorted out. It would occasionally lose ground at one the other and or both.