New HU install, lowest volume way too loud

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
mrarcade

New HU install, lowest volume way too loud

Post by mrarcade »

I have a 2007 Pontiac Vibe and bought a touch screen head unit. I believe the car has Moon and tunes. I have a sunroof, tweeters by mirrors, and a subwoofer in the back. Unfortunately when I try to adjust the amplification lower in the head unit it has no effect. At the lowest volume setting the radio is way too loud.

When I ordered this head unit I thought it had 4 channel preamp lineouts. Unfortunately it only has two channel line outs and two channel line in.

I went ahead and just wired the speaker wires from the head unit right to the speaker wires in the harness adapter. So I guess I am sending an amplified signal to the amplifier under the seat.

Is my best bet to eliminate the amplifier and make a harness under the seat that just feeds the signals straight through? Is there a way I can use the preamp lines and still have four discreet channels? Can I just somehow wire in resistors to bring my volume down, because I can't turn it anywhere near 100%.

If I return this head unit and get one that does have for lineouts but they are still 4-volt am I still going to be in the same boat?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
ColonelPanic

Re: New HU install, lowest volume way too loud

Post by ColonelPanic »

You're spot on - you're sending an amplified signal straight into the factory amp. The volume will be loud and I've found there will also be an excessive amount of white noise.

A speaker level converter wired in between the head unit's speaker outputs and the speaker wiring on the factory harness adapter will help. You can then adjust the levels accordingly.

I have this one here:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/S ... erter.html

Adds a lot of bulk to the install but it works well.

Some have went from the line outs to the speaker wiring, but I seem to remember a lot of popping noises/etc.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
mrarcade

Re: New HU install, lowest volume way too loud

Post by mrarcade »

Well I solved one problem and sadly kind of created another. I bought the scosche line converter and with it installed my lowest volume isn't too loud anymore, but even with it turned as little as it can cut back the volume, I've lost a whole bunch of top volume. so now it definitely isn't too loud when the volume is at 1, but it doesn't go nearly as loud as it went before. I think it is taking a little more off than I would like at the lowest setting. But it is definitely better than not being able to talk with the radio on.