strut question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
FatherTime

strut question

Post by FatherTime »

I'm replacing the rear struts in my 09 Vibe base and am wondering whether I need to have a rear wheel alignment done. I got 2 estimates for the strut work, one wanted to charge for the alignment, the other never mentioned it as necessary. Can't be both.
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
SeattleJeremy

Re: strut question

Post by SeattleJeremy »

You have a base Vibe. The fixed beam rear has nothing to adjust. Which is annoying, especially if something is out of alignment. The only thing we can do to fix it, is replace the rear sub-frame.

When changing the front struts a wheel alignment is required.

Maybe find an alignment shop that will do the front only?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

As Jeremy said, if FWD, no need for alignment if replacing JUST the rear struts. It is recommended to align it after replacing the front struts. However, I have replaced the fronts on a few of ours, and we never aligned afterwards and it still tracks straight. No ill tire wear either.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

Well thanks for the feedback. I'm getting a bit suspect about this one particular auto shop. Every time I get an estimate there they include work that is not necessary, misquote from the service manual such as "your way overdue for spark plug service" (when it's not due for another 10k miles), or quote ridiculous prices like $450 to change 4 spark plugs. When I asked why it's so high he blathered something about access to the plugs. Being curious, when I got home I popped the cover off the engine for the first time and yeah, there is no access issue. Scary thing is, they have a fairly busy shop, which makes me wonder how many people are being taken advantage of.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The book for a first gen vibe calls for an hour on spark plugs. Second gen won't be much different, so $450 is overkill.

That could just be their "I don't wanna do this quote." Same thing with adding in an alignment on rear struts, especially since you can't align the rear end.

FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

zbyers wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:29 am That could just be their "I don't wanna do this quote." Same thing with adding in an alignment on rear struts, especially since you can't align the rear end.
You mean they don't want to do the work, so they're quoting high? Not sure what you are saying.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

FatherTime wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:38 am
zbyers wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:29 am That could just be their "I don't wanna do this quote." Same thing with adding in an alignment on rear struts, especially since you can't align the rear end.
You mean they don't want to do the work, so they're quoting high? Not sure what you are saying.
precisely.

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

FatherTime wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:03 am Well thanks for the feedback. I'm getting a bit suspect about this one particular auto shop. Every time I get an estimate there they include work that is not necessary, misquote from the service manual such as "your way overdue for spark plug service" (when it's not due for another 10k miles), or quote ridiculous prices like $450 to change 4 spark plugs. When I asked why it's so high he blathered something about access to the plugs. Being curious, when I got home I popped the cover off the engine for the first time and yeah, there is no access issue. Scary thing is, they have a fairly busy shop, which makes me wonder how many people are being taken advantage of.
Pep Boys?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:29 am The book for a first gen vibe calls for an hour on spark plugs. Second gen won't be much different, so $450 is overkill.

That could just be their "I don't wanna do this quote." Same thing with adding in an alignment on rear struts, especially since you can't align the rear end.
So, I shouldn't bother getting a 4 wheel alignment, is what you're saying?

Why isn't that listed in the manual?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 am
zbyers wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:29 am The book for a first gen vibe calls for an hour on spark plugs. Second gen won't be much different, so $450 is overkill.

So, I shouldn't bother getting a 4 wheel alignment, is what you're saying?

Why isn't that listed in the manual?
If you have a FWD, you wouldn't actually be getting a 4 wheel alignment. The only way you can really align the rear if it is out of spec, is to shim it. However, they will still likely attach the machine to the rear wheels to make sure it isn't messed up.

EDIT: to note, yeah, you really don't NEED an alignment when replacing the struts. When replacing the struts myself, as I tighten the two bolts holding the spindle to the strut, you usually pull the strut OUTWARD (towards you). Someone told me something about the way suspension geometry works, that that usually keeps it aligned within reason that you should be good to go. Haven't had any issues doing it that way. *shrug*

FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

[/quote]

Pep Boys?
[/quote]

No. Chain store though. Probably shouldn't mention the name.
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

[/quote]

[/quote]

precisely.
[/quote]

Thing is, the guy spent at least 10 minutes on the computer whipping up a list of things he felt was necessary to do, prioritizing, and included the prices. I don't think he would do that if he didn't want my business. I think he wanted my wallet.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

FatherTime wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 pm
precisely.
Thing is, the guy spent at least 10 minutes on the computer whipping up a list of things he felt was necessary to do, prioritizing, and included the prices. I don't think he would do that if he didn't want my business. I think he wanted my wallet.
That's kind of the experience my father had with Pep Boys the first (and only) time he took a car there. He's a mechanical engineer, and up until recently, always did his own car repairs (unless tools would be an issue). He went in for a single problem, and the local Pep Boys pulled a "Oh, yeah, you need X, and Y, and Q, and P, and R, and then your original problem will cost H. "
Pauls325

Post by Pauls325 »

If you are doing suspension work its never a bad idea to have the alignment checked, most shops will check alignment for free, they do attach sensors to all four wheels , the rear wheels determine the thrust angle of the car, so basically the front is aligned based on the rear, if the rear is out by a significant margin it can be changed using shims, most shops will charge wheel bearing labor to align the rear. however i have never heard of a shop offer different pricing if only the front needs adjustment.
2009 Vibe 2.4
2007 Grand Prix GXP
1970 Trans AM
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Pauls325 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:10 pm If you are doing suspension work its never a bad idea to have the alignment checked, most shops will check alignment for free, they do attach sensors to all four wheels , the rear wheels determine the thrust angle of the car, so basically the front is aligned based on the rear, if the rear is out by a significant margin it can be changed using shims, most shops will charge wheel bearing labor to align the rear. however i have never heard of a shop offer different pricing if only the front needs adjustment.
On the 03-08 FWD Vibe, there is no adjustment to the rear. Some shops may be willing to shim it, if they can get or have shims. But for the most part, they leave well enough alone.

Many local shops I've seen have rates for a 2-wheel alignment, or a 4-wheel alignment. usually 2-wheel is like $75. and 4-wheel is around $100 or so.