misfire, sputtering solution=--

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
jamesmetairie

misfire, sputtering solution=--

Post by jamesmetairie »

We,re on our 2nd Vibe(2005) and also currently have a 2005 Corolla.

A few days ago the 2005 corolla with 135,000 miles started misfiring and sputtering and almost dying on the road.

Just like on the internet , my honest , well qualified mobile mechanic pulled the connection on each ignition coil until there was no change in the misfire.

For safety reasons I would advise it,s best to not touch ignition coils, etc. with the motor running.

A new ngk was $92. We put a used one from our old "totaled" Vibe(2003). All is well. Also installed 4 new NGK laser iridium plugs. Applied very little anti seize on the top few threads .
No torque wrench was used. He says he,s got the feel for it.(lol)

jamesmetairie
Bookworm

Re: misfire, sputtering solution=--

Post by Bookworm »

What, you don't want 18,000+ volts through your right hand, and out your stomach when you're leaning into the engine compartment?

It's not THAT bad. Just not something I'd want to keep repeating. (Cracked distributor ignition coil, was adding insulation around it so that the guy could at least drive it out of the impound lot and back to the University. Was checking to see if spark was still escaping.... and found it was. )
Caretaker

2009 2zrfe Spark Plug Socket

Post by Caretaker »

I am in need of a magnetic spark plug socket. All my old ones have rubber rings inside which just get stuck down in the chamber. Can anyone tell me what size spark plug socket I should get for the Denso #3444 (formerly SC20HR11) iridium plugs? I have so many old spark plug sockets that I have forgotten which one is for the Vibe. :lol:
Edit: my 9/16 seems to fit but I'm wondering if the 14mm magnetic would be a better fit?
jolt

Post by jolt »

Hi again Caretaker, I would highly recommend a long reach spark plug socket. You do not need any extensions with the long socket and you get a better feel for what is going on at the spark plug. You do not need a extension that could come off a normal spark plug socket and leave the socket down in the spark plug well stuck to the spark plug.

If a 9/16" works for your spark plugs, here are long spark plug sockets sold by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-884505-8-I ... B0074HNK9A

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-22886-M ... B00U321PB8

One is magnetic and the other has rubber holder. With the long socket the rubber works fine because you do not need a extension and can pull the socket off the spark plug.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

thanks very much for that. It at least got my brain running this morning. The first link has a listed length of just under 2 inches. I'm guessing that's a typo. The second link (magnetic) has a listed length of 8.5 inches, whereas the photo clearly shows an annotated length of 6 inches. I'll have to measure my socket extender, which only fits into the chamber after I push up the plastic air vent cowling, to see what length I can buy. Once I know that measurement, I probably will go to Harbor Freight and see if they have something in a 14 mm size. I'm not sure I need the long socket to remove the plugs, but I do see the wisdom in using one to ensure the threads are started properly when re-installing plugs with one's fingers.