DIY: 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix Subframe Replacement

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
zbyers

DIY: 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix Subframe Replacement

Post by zbyers »

I'll get straight to the point... The rear subframe on the 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix is notorious for rotting out. Garages quote over $2500 to replace. Bad news?! Car isn't worth that, so many send them to the scrap yard. Good news?! You can replace it yourself with this fancy how-to. I probably missed a few steps. I probably forgot to take some pictures, didn't use the right tools. As always, it's not my fault if you break things, cause a forest fire, etc.

It's also likely this procedure is basically the same for 2009-2010 AWD Vibe/Matrices, as well as the GT/XRS of those years. They share the same rear subframe. It could even be the same for the 2011-2013 Matrix, but I have no idea as those were only sold in Canadia. :lol:

Essentially, the easiest way to do this, is to drop the subframe, diff, and all the suspension and hub assembly components, excluding struts, all as one unit. Once it’s off the vehicle, you can transfer things around as needed.

THE TOOLS

3/8 Drive:
• 10mm to undo the miscellaneous bolts for the e-brake cable, ABS sensor, etc.
• 14mm bolts to disconnect drive shaft. Not enough room for 1/2” drive.
• Wobbly extension to make it easier to reach drive shaft bolts

1/2 Drive:
• 14mm
• 17mm—this will undo most of the suspension related things. You will also need a 17mm wrench to hold the nut or bolt on most of these.
• 19mm—this will undo the 4 major bolts holding the subframe to the vehicle, and some of the bolts holding the differential to the subframe.
• 21mm—wheelz. Gotta get the wheels off!
• 30mm 12-point socket—for axle nut. Yours might be different if you’ve removed/replaced the axle or axle nuts in the past. OEM is a 30mm 12 point. Most aftermarket are 32mm 6 point.

Impact Gun! I have a cheaaappppp battery operated impact from Amazon. It has served me well and even zipped off the axle nuts (torque spec is something like 176 ft/lbs.)

- Various pry bars and/or screw drivers (they serve the same purpose, right)
- Breaker bar for when things get tough.
- Marker to mark drive shaft and rear diff alignment.
- PB Blaster or your preferred flavor of penetration oil.
- Some source of light so you can see what you’re doing.
- Pliers, to remove stubborn ABS sensor from hub. We couldn’t get ours out, so we ended up bolting the control arm thingy and leaving that on the vehicle.
- Preferred adult beverage(s).
- jack & jack stands (in my case a lift in my garage)

THE HOW
1) Jack up vehicle as high as you jack and/or jack stands can allow. This will provide you with ample working rooming. Properly support vehicle.
2) Remove wheels.
3) Remove the drum, brake shoes, and hardware.
a. To separate brake shoe from the e-brake cable, pull the spirally thing on the cable back, and finagle the shoe off it.
b. Once separate, undo the 10mm bolt holding the e-brake cable to the hub assembly.
c. Unbolt the ABS sensor from the hub. Follow the wiring and remove the bolts holding it down to the suspension. Good luck wiggling ABS sensor out of the hub assembly. It can be a PITA.
4) Unstake axle nut, remove axle nut.
a. Tap end of axle to free it from hub assembly now before you forget.
5) Unbolt strut from control arm. This should be a 17mm bolt.
6) Unbolt lower sway bar link end. I believe this was a 14mm. If you’re planning on replacing them, cut it off to make life easier. We used vice grips on the back side of it to hold the stud while hitting it with the impact to break it free since we are reusing them.
7) There is a vent line on the passenger side for something, that is on the subframe. Undo this vent line before you forget.
8) Consume adult beverage
9) Undo the muffler/exhaust clamp and move out of way so you can drop subframe. We didn’t remove from the vehicle, just undid the bolts to it.
10) Break free the three 17mm bolts holding the lower control arm thingy to the vehicle. I suppose you could remove these at this point to, but we waited until we were ready to drop the whole thing.
11) Break free the four 19mm bolts holding the subframe to the vehicle.
12) Now that all of those are broke free and ready to drop, mark the driveshaft/rear diff so when you bolt them back together, you can line them up.
a. Unbolt the four 14mm driveshaft bolts. Properly support drive shift so it doesn’t just dangle.
13) Consume adult beverage—you’re ready to drop the subframe!
14) Now get a few strong fellas. My brother and I held the subframe up while dad used the impact to undo the bolts from steps 10 and 11. Don’t drop it… It’s kinda heavy!

Subframe should now be out of the car. Time for lunch break… BRB.

Alrighty, now that you’re back from lunch, begin swapping over all the parts your new subframe didn’t come with that you removed from the vehicle. This should be self-explanatory when you are comparing your new replacement to the old one removed. Hopefully you cleaned up your replacement subframe. We are getting ours sandblasted and then painting it before reinstalling.

This may be a good time to opt to replace the gas tank if needed, as the gas tank straps on the AWD are a pain to remove when the subframe is on the vehicle. We aren’t this time but did last time.

THE NOTES
Now that you’ve read this far, and since uploading pics is difficult. Pictures are located at the below Google Drive linky. They are named as to what they are, and I did try to put relevant comments on the picture (when you click on it) to point out what it is for.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/fold ... qBktM2z-ty

I will also save my true secret for last… The rear subframe for the 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix is the exact same as the below vehicles:

99-06 Celica GTS (must be GTS as that has independent rear suspension). Downfall of this, is it does not come with the differential mounting bracket.
03-06 Vibe/Matrix AWD
09-10 Vibe/Matrix AWD
09-10 Vibe/Matrix GT/XRS (maybe S model, but their equivalent of the GT)

Quite possibly the Matrix AWD/XRS from 2011-2013. No confirmation there as they were made in Canadia and not brought into the US.

As always, www.car-part.com is a fantastic resource for finding parts in junkyards near you.

Hope this helps others in need! Let me know if you have any questions.

PS: find me on Instagram @TheWanderingVibes

-Byerscrew/Zbyers
Attachments
2003-2006 Vibe Matrix AWD Subframe Replacement DIY.pdf
(115.8 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
zbyers

Re: DIY: 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix Subframe Replacement

Post by zbyers »

The new subframe is in, and the car passed PA inspection, exactly two weeks after buying it.

The garage that previously failed it, commented on how well we protected the new one. Another Vibe had apparently failed inspection at this garage, and they called the junkyard we picked the subframe up at... That junkyard tells the garage "I REALLY undersold some kid who bought one two weeks ago!" Yeeeppp, my brother was "that kid." :lol:

All said and done, it's not a difficult task. It is, however, tedious and meticulous. Lots of detail oriented things, like how the bolts are in. I think I did the math, and it's something like 20 bolts/nuts, the ABS sensors, and the emergency brake stuff that has to be removed to drop it as a unit.

The key is using some penetrating oil ahead of time to help get the bolts out without breaking them. I am also very thankful to have the battery 1/2" impact, as well as a Milwaukee M12 3/8" ratchet. Power tools (and the lift) made things easy.

The Google Drive link has been updated with pictures, and I've numbered them so they mostly appear in order the procedure.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome report and thanks for sharing! :D You make these repairs seem so easy 8-) Is this lift in your garage or did you borrow someone else's? Keep up the good work!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:24 pm Awesome report and thanks for sharing! :D You make these repairs seem so easy 8-) Is this lift in your garage or did you borrow someone else's? Keep up the good work!
That's because it was easy! :D

The lift is in my garage. I have a nice 24x30. House sucks, but great garage. :lol:

Rmllr72

Post by Rmllr72 »

Just want to thank Zbyers for his thorough write up,
I have an 05 AWD Orange pthat I just started on today, wish I had his garage and lift
I found a low mileage early 09 model 36k part has been on shelf for 95 months, $135 shipped
I think I attached the pictures correctly
I will post more pictures as I get it apart and back together
Attachments
23C954B9-4E92-4B96-A775-5702E9E92AFB.jpeg
23C954B9-4E92-4B96-A775-5702E9E92AFB.jpeg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 12240 times
50CE388C-54F1-45BE-9577-285C0A21BBBC.jpeg
50CE388C-54F1-45BE-9577-285C0A21BBBC.jpeg (88.96 KiB) Viewed 12240 times
222109E7-6D11-4546-A825-025E497D499D.jpeg
222109E7-6D11-4546-A825-025E497D499D.jpeg (72.85 KiB) Viewed 12240 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Rmllr72 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:17 pm Just want to thank Zbyers for his thorough write up,
I have an 05 AWD Orange pthat I just started on today, wish I had his garage and lift
I found a low mileage early 09 model 36k part has been on shelf for 95 months, $135 shipped
I think I attached the pictures correctly
I will post more pictures as I get it apart and back together
Glad to be of help. The orange ones are worth saving. :D

At least you have a garage. Definitely helps make this job easier in these colder months.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

zbyers wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 am The orange ones are worth saving.

Definitely agree with you on that one ;)
zbyers wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 am At least you have a garage. Definitely helps make this job easier in these colder months.
We can only assume based on the rust that this new member is from the rust belt area of America somewhere!!! Update profile for us please :)

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Heh. Well, a little over a year later we have managed to find another AWD that needs the subframe replaced. We didn't intend to buy this. We looked for reasons NOT to.

Turns out, there is not a darn thing wrong with it other than the subframe. Not a spec of rust outside of that. What sealed the deal is the 92k miles it has on it.

We have already sourced another replacement subframe. Car is parked in the garage now, so we should be starting on it one of these weekends.

I will be updating my how-to as we go through this again, since I typed this up after finishing up the last job.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

zbyers wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:32 am I will be updating my how-to as we go through this again, since I typed this up after finishing up the last job.
Maybe create a YouTube video showing you performing all this work. Would be interested in seeing what's involved and share it with all of us here.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:13 am
zbyers wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:32 am I will be updating my how-to as we go through this again, since I typed this up after finishing up the last job.
Maybe create a YouTube video showing you performing all this work. Would be interested in seeing what's involved and share it with all of us here.
Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe I can do that. I'll have to see if I can find a good spot to set up a camera to record.

CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

Are there any new or aftermarket options for a replacement subframe or are options limited to simply getting lucky at the junkyard?
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:03 pm Are there any new or aftermarket options for a replacement subframe or are options limited to simply getting lucky at the junkyard?
Toyota sells a brand new one still for like $800-900.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

This subframe is definitely in waaayyyy worse shape than the other two we have replaced.

Upper control arm mount snapped off from the frame on the drivers side.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLQXXURB4An/

Sway bar mount and one of the four spots where the subframe mounts to the body is gone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLUQIZYh8yG/

However, the replacement we ordered off of eBay is spotless. Looks brand new.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLSy7TVhIMO/

We have the old totally removed, most of the parts swapped over. We have one bolt frozen in a bushing, so need to find someone with a press to knock it out. Have a replacement bushing.

We also have a camber bolt stuck, but no replacement bushing for it. We are hoping to coax it out without too much hassle. Project will continue next weekend.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Haven't made any further progress. Apparently 'Rona decided to come visit the households. Minor sickness-- mostly like a chest cold and congestion. We're on the mend, and should resume this weekend should time permit.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Finally finished up the 3rd swap. big difference this time, is we bought a transmission jack to help raise/lower the subframe. This was much better than the balancing act on cat litter bucket on a computer chair. :lol:

We had one bolt frozen in a bushing that we had to cut off and order new bushings.

We put the rear sway bar on upside down...so we had to drop the subframe, again, to flip it 180 degrees to the correct orientation. Note to self, compare to the AWD sitting in the driveway.

New brakes all the way around, front calipers and rear wheel cylinders. Fluids & filters changed. All that's left is a small exhaust leak at the spring bolts by the manifold.

Sometime in the future we will be taking it in for an alignment, state inspection, and fixing those spring bolts while they're inspecting it.

This project was definitely easier the third time around and would have been completed in probably 10-12 hours had we not broken a bolt, got sick, and installed the sway bar upside down.

Hopefully there isn't a fourth one in our future.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Stumbled upon a marketplace ad, and the seller referenced this how-to guide. :D

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 282330837/

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

zbyers wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:58 am Stumbled upon a marketplace ad
Sounds like you might be interested in this project Vibe. And Delavan NY is close to you also :D Wife has relatives in that small town also ... been there a few times years ago.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:37 am
zbyers wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:58 am Stumbled upon a marketplace ad
Sounds like you might be interested in this project Vibe. And Delavan NY is close to you also :D Wife has relatives in that small town also ... been there a few times years ago.
It actually ended up selling just a few hours later..and NOT to me! If it were an hour closer, I'd have considered it and drove it home.

senorbobo

Post by senorbobo »

2nd gen Vibe GT rear subframes do not work on a 2003 Vibe AWD technically. Was missing a mount bushing and two dif mounts. Had to cut off, measure and weld on the old ones.
quattrokid

Post by quattrokid »

zbyers,

Thanks for your thorough post about rear subframe replacement. I know you had mentioned that 2009-2010 AWD Vibe/Matrix rear subframe are the same as the 1st generation AWD rear subframes. I have 2004 AWD Matrix, need to replace rear subframe and rear lower control arms. I am finding it easier (and cheaper) to source those parts from non-salt states (I am in Massachusetts, they LOVE to salt). However, before I commit and buy these parts and have them shipped to me, I am having trouble confirming if the parts will indeed be direct "bolt-on" replacements. I know, zbyers, that your list of "same subframes" indicates that the rear subframe fro 2009-10 Vibe/Matrix, is the same, but has anyone that without the need of welding/modifying? And would the rear lower control arms be the same from AWD 2009-10 fitting onto 2004 AWD Matrix? If those parts are the same why did Pontiac and Toyota change those part numbers from their 1st Gen AWD Vibe/Matrix to 2nd Gen AWD Vibe/Matrix? Thanks for your awesome knowledge and advice.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

quattrokid wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:38 am zbyers,

Thanks for your thorough post about rear subframe replacement. I know you had mentioned that 2009-2010 AWD Vibe/Matrix rear subframe are the same as the 1st generation AWD rear subframes. I have 2004 AWD Matrix, need to replace rear subframe and rear lower control arms. I am finding it easier (and cheaper) to source those parts from non-salt states (I am in Massachusetts, they LOVE to salt). However, before I commit and buy these parts and have them shipped to me, I am having trouble confirming if the parts will indeed be direct "bolt-on" replacements. I know, zbyers, that your list of "same subframes" indicates that the rear subframe fro 2009-10 Vibe/Matrix, is the same, but has anyone that without the need of welding/modifying? And would the rear lower control arms be the same from AWD 2009-10 fitting onto 2004 AWD Matrix? If those parts are the same why did Pontiac and Toyota change those part numbers from their 1st Gen AWD Vibe/Matrix to 2nd Gen AWD Vibe/Matrix? Thanks for your awesome knowledge and advice.
Yes, the rear subframes are the same. Rear ipper/lower control arms too. Part number could have changed due to the addition/removal of a small bracket or something silly. They are indeed the same. We have since swapped 4 suuframes or so. We have sourced most of the replacement parts on eBay from the west coast where things aren't rusty.

Psajbanvibe

Post by Psajbanvibe »

I just bought a green 2006 AWD Vibe from a car dealership in Minnesota. It is a one owner, well taken care of vehicle that needs the rear subframe replaced. I’m looking for part numbers for this and the 09/10 models that are compatible so that I can inquire at non-rust, non-salt state used parts dealers about solid replacement parts. Any help is appreciated.
Psajbanvibe

Post by Psajbanvibe »

My new to me Vibe has a little under 145,000 miles on it, and the body looks brand new. It is a car worth saving.