Caliper parts sources

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
ZZvroom

Caliper parts sources

Post by ZZvroom »

2003 GT

On the LR, the caliper bolts are seized to the sleeves. (Someone skimped on the NeverSeize...)

The bolts are easy but not so the sleeves.
I found a mention of Wagner H1490. I don't see them at RockAuto. Any suggested sources?
jolt

Re: Caliper parts sources

Post by jolt »

Are you referring to the CARLSON H5124 sleeves that are listed for the 2003 Vibe GT rear at Rockauto?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... cc=1432957

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pon ... +kit,11515
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

remanned calipers are pretty cheap, honestly. Why not just replace the whole caliper and call it a day?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

We installed the Carlson bolts & sleeves.

No real issues; we had to chase the bracket threads with a tap but that was easy. One thing to know is the Carlson kit has the long bolt with a 14mm head and the shorter one has a 17mm one.

One question I have is what's the best lube for the sleeves? I've used antiseize between the sleeves and bolts, but I know there are specific lubes for caliper sleeves.
jolt

Post by jolt »

ZZvroom wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm One question I have is what's the best lube for the sleeves? I've used antiseize between the sleeves and bolts, but I know there are specific lubes for caliper sleeves.
Here are five good ones:
CRC 5339 Brake Caliper Grease.
Mission Automotive Silicon Grease.
Napa Sil Glyde Lubricating.
Permatex Brake Part Lubricant.
CRC 5351 Braking Grease.

I like the silicone based/synthetic lubes for caliper pins, sleeves, backing plates, etc., myself. Anti-seize is not the best lube in this application because the oils in the base mix of anti-seize can react with rubber seals and "O" rings causing the rubber to swell and/or break down. When using these lubes be sure to clean all parts completely. Do not let new and old lubes mix as they can react with each other and the result can be a lube that does not lube
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

Thanks. I used antiseize between the bolts and the sleeves; not on the external surface of the sleeves.