Creaking sound rear end

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
AngelaG111

Creaking sound rear end

Post by AngelaG111 »

Just bought an 05’ manual base model. It’s in super great shape, only 131,000 miles. The only quirk I’m noticing is a creaking sound in the back end when going over speed bumps. I go over super gentle and slow. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the dreadful things (apartment life) and I gotta drive over 5 of them each way coming and going. I think they caused part of the demise of my last Vibe, cv boots among other things. I’m wondering if it’s shocks or struts maybe? Not sure, this is an issue I haven’t encountered before. I wanna baby this baby.
zbyers

Re: Creaking sound rear end

Post by zbyers »

The two things that come to mind would be the rear struts, and the rear sway bar.

Can you rock the car side-to-side, or bounce it up/down and replicate the noise?

What if you hit the speed bump at an angle so your back tires went over it at different times. Does that isolate the noise to a specific side?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
AngelaG111

Post by AngelaG111 »

Thank you for advice/help zbyers.....

It doesn’t do it when I push down hard in back. Maybe just ever so slight sound on driver rear but not bad. Can’t tell about wobbling. But today I tried to go over speed bumps at angles instead of straight on and it seemed to not make the noise that way. Maybe it’s better to always drive over them that way??
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'd still lean towards my original suggestions.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe