2003-2008 Vibe Inner Tie Rod Replacement

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
zbyers

2003-2008 Vibe Inner Tie Rod Replacement

Post by zbyers »

Hi folks... I didn't really see any info on replacing inner/outer tie rod ends. Good news is, I am guessing because it's pretty straight forward. I regretably didn't take any pictures, but here is essentially what was needed/done. As always, if you die, your car breaks, falls, aliens invade, Trump gets reelected, you forget a part, don't have the tools, yadayada, none if it's my fault as you're the one who did it.

Tools
  • Floor jack/jack stands
  • 21mm socket for lug nuts
  • 17mm socket/ratchet wrench (I believe) for the outer tie rod castle nut; and optionally, sway bar link upper nut.
  • pliers for cotter pin on outer tie rod castle nut, and the clamps on the tie rod boot
  • several 3/8" drive extensions, and a ratchet/breaker bar.
  • hammer and/or 5lbs mini sledge... also known as BFH
  • zip ties
  • preferred adult beverage(s)
  • Inner Tie Rod Removal Tool
    ---- this is the one I bought: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and- ... /94645_0_0

The How
    • 1) Jack up car and support on jack stands
    • 2) Remove tire
    • 2a) Consumer adult beverage, if needed.
    • 3) Optionally, remove the upper nut from the sway bar link on both sides. This will allow you to pivot the sway bar up and out of the way.
    • 4) Remove cotter pin from outer tie rod castle nut, and break nut loose,
    • 5) Using aforementioned BFH, and something to hit the outer tie rod, break it free from it's home in the steering knuckle.
    • 6) Once broken free, remove outer tie rod from the inner tie rod. Recommended to count the amount of full rotations required to remove it, so you can reinstall to approximately the same spec. If you are replacing inner and outer tie rods, no need to remove it, just measure the length of threads so you can install the new one to similar depth.
    • 7) Remove clamps on tie rod boot as you will need to reuse the boot.
    • 8) Using aforementioned Inner Tie Rod Tool, tighten it down on the knuckle (see only pic). Using the extensions and breaker bar, break it free. once broken free, you should be able to remove it by hand.
    • 9) Consume adult beverage, you're halfway done!
    • 10)reinstall is opposite of removal.
    • 11)when installing the tie rod boot, use zip ties to hold it down where the metal clamp was since that clamp won't be reusable. Plus, zip ties are much easier to use.
    • 12)Don't forget how many turns of the outer tie rod it was and to ensure your steering wheel is straight!!!
    • 12a) More adult beverages once car is back together
    • 13)Now go get it aligned.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Re: 2003-2008 Vibe Inner Tie Rod Replacement

Post by Bookworm »

Thanks for the photo and the walkthrough.
oscarjm

Post by oscarjm »

Thanks for this write-up. Unfortunately, the picture no longer shows up on the post, but hopefully I can figure it out.

I have a leaking boot on the outer tie rod. The lower clamp (wire) that secures the boot must have rusted away.

Word to the wise: If the threads on your outer tie rod end are covered in rust, and it takes a herculean effort of PB Blaster and heat to loosen the jam nut, you might as well replace the inner tie rod as well. I was able to loosen the jam nut, but the threads are pretty much gone (these are the threads on the exterior portion of the inner tie rod), meaning that the jam nut will not tighten against the outer tie rod again, which also means that the alignment shop will likely not want to touch the car without replacement the inner and outer tie rod.

Also, I used a lot of heat on the outer tie rod to try to break it free. I couldn't get it to budge. I ended up removing the boot on the outer tie rod to see if I could just repack it with grease, and unfortunately the heat melted the inner bushing that secures the ball end of the tie rod.

Bottom line, if you look at the threads behind your jam nut and they are barely visible due to rust, save yourself some hassle and replace both the inner and outer tie rod. Inner tie rods are about $25. I'll report back after I've done this replacement, which hopefully won't be too tough!
Seventeen

Post by Seventeen »

Reading of ordeals like yours makes me grateful and appreciative to have lived in places where the roads don't get salted in winter.

(I realize that may be assumption on my part, but still helps highlight how spoiled I've been wrt to the less-than-harsh conditions my cars get exposed to... ;-)
Portland-based and on the hunt for a well-maintained Gen 1 in Washington, Oregon, or California - I'd consider flying as far as Texas for the right car. DM me if you know of a sprightly specimen looking for a good home...
oscarjm

Post by oscarjm »

oscarjm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:41 am ...Bottom line, if you look at the threads behind your jam nut and they are barely visible due to rust, save yourself some hassle and replace both the inner and outer tie rod. Inner tie rods are about $25. I'll report back after I've done this replacement, which hopefully won't be too tough!
My report back- this was so much easier than trying to loosen the rusted tie rod end. I used the exact tool that the OP suggested, and tightened it on the ball of the inner tie rod after the boot was removed. I think I used a 12", 6", and 3" 3/8 ratchet extension, and a breaker bar. With a little force the inner tie rod will crack loose and spin off freely.

In order to reuse the rack and pinion boot, I used an angle grinder with a cut-off disk and cut off the outer tie rod so I could slide the boot off. I used zip ties to re-secure the rack and pinion boot to the inner tie rod/rack and pinion.

Here is a pic of how rusted the threads were on the tie rod- even if I had gotten the outer tie rod loose it would have never held an alignment:

And here is where I placed the inner tie rod removal tool on the inner tie rod.

The alignment shop said my right camber is negative and out of spec, so I think I'll buy some camber adjustment bolts and adjust. The same roads that caused the rust in these pics also come with some nice potholes that are sometimes unavoidable.
Vibrainium

Post by Vibrainium »

A few more steps to make the directions more complete. I just did both sides of a 2007. Not sure what other years this would apply to.

Tools

Floor jack/jack stands

21mm socket for lug nuts

17mm socket/ratchet wrench (I believe) for the outer tie rod castle nut; and optionally, sway bar link upper nut. My castle nut was 19mm

pliers for cotter pin on outer tie rod castle nut, and the clamps on the tie rod boot

several 3/8" drive extensions, and a ratchet/breaker bar. The tie rod tool I used was for 1/2" breaker bar.

hammer and/or 5lbs mini sledge... also known as BFH

screw driver, punch or chisel for straightening lock washer. (this was one of the important parts that applied to my '07)

zip ties

preferred adult beverage(s)

Inner Tie Rod Removal Tool
---- this is the one I bought: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and- ... /94645_0_0
An inner tie rod tool can be used for free from many auto parts stores. I used one from Autozone. See picture. You have to pay for the tool, 90ish dollars, but they refund it when you return it. You will need the 1 1/4" adapter for the tie rod tool to remove the inner tie rod. Then I needed the 29mm adapter for the new Moog replacement. Also, Knowing that these adapters are used by the general public they may be slightly bent from the last yahoo. If you owned the tool you could place the adapter in a Vice and slightly bend it inward. Tiny bend then check the fitment.

The How
1) Jack up car and support on jack stands
2) Remove tire
2a) Consumer adult beverage, if needed.
3) Optionally, remove the upper nut from the sway bar link on both sides. This will allow you to pivot the sway bar up and out of the way.
4) Remove cotter pin from outer tie rod castle nut, and break nut loose,
5) Using aforementioned BFH, and something to hit the outer tie rod, break it free from it's home in the steering knuckle.
6) Once broken free, remove outer tie rod from the inner tie rod. Recommended to count the amount of full rotations required to remove it, so you can reinstall to approximately the same spec. If you are replacing inner and outer tie rods, no need to remove it, just measure the length of threads so you can install the new one to similar depth. I cut the inner tie rod in half with a cut off wheel. The jam nut was seized and I didn't want to spend time fighting with it. Took about 2 minutes.
7) Remove clamps on tie rod boot as you will need to reuse the boot.
7.5) There may be a lock washer with part of the edge folded over part of the wrench flat where the tie rod removal tool attaches. I spent extra hours trying to loosen the inner tie rod until i realized what it was. Just knock the folded over edges straight and your good to go.
8) Using aforementioned Inner Tie Rod Tool, Remove it from the steering rack and pinion.
9) Consume adult beverage, you're halfway done!
10)reinstall is opposite of removal. The Moog replacements I bought came with lock washers that needed to be folded over the wrench flats of the inner tie rod. After the inner tie rod is tightened down use the claw end of a hammer or some other tool to fold the washer edge toward you.
11)when installing the tie rod boot, use zip ties to hold it down where the metal clamp was since that clamp won't be reusable. Plus, zip ties are much easier to use. The outer metal clamp was reusable. Its a pinch clamp. The inner, bigger clamp will probably get damaged when removing. I used zip ties for that.
12)Don't forget how many turns of the outer tie rod it was and to ensure your steering wheel is straight!!!
12a) More adult beverages once car is back together
13)Now go get it aligned.
Attachments
inner tie rod tool.jpg
inner tie rod tool.jpg (280.45 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Just a mention - you can get a basic tie rod removal tool from Harbor Freight for about $40, as of the time of this posting.

That's if you might need to keep it more than a few days, as life gets you behind. Or you want it for replacing the other side next week.
Will0351

Post by Will0351 »

Would like to interject/ add some insight here. While most folks would probably be fine with the inner tie rod tool shown (the black clamp with teeth type) I've found the BEST bar none is the OEM TOOLS master inner tie rod tool it works with EVERY TYPE and to me well worth the money. I've spent more time setting it up than actually getting a tie rod off every time AND since it slides over directly you can use an impact to speed things along breaking it loose.
That said, the suggestion made about replacing both at the same time is solid. Aside from the rust issues mentioned the way I tend to look at it is if the outer needs doing the inner isn't far behind and might as well while you've got it apart. Other suggestions for ease of work is with stuck castle nuts and especially jam nuts if they don't budge just cut them. An angle grinder if you got room and they are fairly cheap, or a die grinder or cut off tool works too. Just put 1 or 2 slits in the nut and it'll pop off and you can keep going. My recommendation for any DIY'er is milwaukee. They back their tools and batteries and tend to have the best rating for use, torque, power, etc on the market. I work on my own vehicles but also help out some family members and while I've only used my inner tie rod tool on 3 vehicles (6 times) the 89 I spent was saved in labor costs for just one. The die grinder runs 200 plus a battery or get the pack of both straight and right angle for 350 with batteries. The cut off tool is a bit cheaper at 150. Just my 2 cents AND those tools can be used for a whole slew of other stuff as you've probably seen on multiple YouTube vids
Attachments
Screenshot_20230522_111050_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20230522_111050_Amazon Shopping.jpg (398.33 KiB) Viewed 1193 times