06 Base - steering knuckle and spindle replacement

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
hellomattwhite

06 Base - steering knuckle and spindle replacement

Post by hellomattwhite »

Hi folks - so I've got a bad wheel bearing front passenger side (06 base, 5 spd stick, fwd no ABS) and I think I'm going to just swap the whole knuckle and spindle out instead of mess around with pressing bearings out/in. Scrap yard near me has an 04 base Matrix with super low miles (68k) and the part is only 25 bucks. Now I know these cars are 95% interchangeable with parts, but does anyone know if the knuckle and spindle would for some reason NOT be interchangeable between a vibe and matrix? Appreciate any insights, thanks!
zbyers

Re: 06 Base - steering knuckle and spindle replacement

Post by zbyers »

Steering knuckle is indeed the same. Pressing the bearing in/out isn't that bad, if you remove the knuckle from the car.

IMHO, I would pick up the extra knuckle, and having a new bearing pressed into it at a local shop, then just swap out the knuckle. Then you know you have a new bearing, and installation is easy. I have to tackle a wheel bearing on mine in a few weeks, and my plan is to remove the knuckle to press the old one out, and new one in.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
hellomattwhite

Post by hellomattwhite »

I figured as much, but I appreciate your contribution to my peace of mind.

Originally, my plan was exactly what you intend to do. As I started looking for new bearings, tho, I realized that I was going to be extremely cheap about it and not spend the coin on a decent product. So my logic then shifted to "well, the OEM bearing with 68k off this Matrix is likely entirely 'better' than the cheap new one I'm going to end up buying". I love my car to death, but she's got 250k on the clock and I'm at the point where I'm keeping her on the road, but with as little impact on my wallet as possible.

Thanks again!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I don't blame you taking that approach one bit. I was that way with my last Vibe. She had 280k on her, and i spent as little as possible to keep it on the road. Sold it, and now give my newer one all the love it deserves. :D
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
theblurb

Post by theblurb »

hellomattwhite wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 am I figured as much, but I appreciate your contribution to my peace of mind.

Originally, my plan was exactly what you intend to do. As I started looking for new bearings, tho, I realized that I was going to be extremely cheap about it and not spend the coin on a decent product. So my logic then shifted to "well, the OEM bearing with 68k off this Matrix is likely entirely 'better' than the cheap new one I'm going to end up buying". I love my car to death, but she's got 250k on the clock and I'm at the point where I'm keeping her on the road, but with as little impact on my wallet as possible.

Thanks again!
Did you end up going this route? How did it go? I see my front bearings need replacement and this seems like a decent low-cost option!