RandomTox 2004 Vibe GT

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
RandomTox

RandomTox 2004 Vibe GT

Post by RandomTox »

Hi.

I just picked up my first Vibe. 2004 Orange GT with about 125000. It's clean and seems well kept. I've long been an enthusiast for the Toyota 2ZZ engine, but this is my first.

Based on my experience with a Matrix in our fleet at work, I recommended the Matrix/Vibe to a family member years ago. The family fleet has since included about 10 automatic 1ZZ examples, which I continue to help repair and service.

I have a long history owning NUMMI manufactured performance cars, starting with a Corolla FX16 GTS way back in the late 80s. I've owned several FX16, Geo Prizm GSI, and this summer found an 88 Chevy Nova Twin Cam, all powered by the Toyota 4AGE engine and from NUMMI. Also drive and race Toyota MR2s of the AW11 variety. Finally I'll mention I've imported a Japanese market 1990 Corolla FX GT which would have been the second generation of the Corolla FX16 if Toyota had continued sell them in North America, but I'm pretty sure mine is the only one in this hemisphere.

I'm really enjoying the Vibe GT and see it as good fit with my little fleet. It's very practical but still a blast to drive. The 2ZZ + 6 speed is delightful. It's nice having the 21st century safety and convenience features.
Attachments
Vibe.jpg
Vibe.jpg (97.58 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
RandomTox

Re: RandomTox 2004 Vibe GT

Post by RandomTox »

The engine bay is quite clean. The car has just a few minor cosmetic issues: Missing a roof rack trim piece, storage bin under shifter won't latch, several little dings and scratches, a busted fog light... Expected stuff. I may just remove the rack. I don't love the smooshy seats. I'm wondering if the Matrix XRS seats have better side bolster. I'm considering Celica 5-spoke wheels. Looking for cargo cover and carpet. Otherwise probably leave everything else as is.
Attachments
2ZZ.jpg
2ZZ.jpg (143.54 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
RandomTox

Post by RandomTox »

Here's my 1988 Nova Twincam, the rare high performance variety. Like the Vibe it's a rebadged Corolla, and one of the earlier cars to come from the same NUMMI plant. My MR2 street car in the background.
Attachments
Nova and MR2.jpg
Nova and MR2.jpg (187.05 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
RandomTox

Post by RandomTox »

On the left is my latest FX16. Since destroyed by a hit/run while parked. It was a great little beater and I'll own another. Also a NUMMI car. On the right is my JDM 1990 FX GT. Looks very similar the the FX16, but next generation.
Attachments
FXs.jpg
FXs.jpg (134.13 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Impressive list of cars.

On the trash can not staying closed - that was a known problem. My 2003 had to be shimmed to keep it from bouncing open. My '07 has a much more robust latch. No clue if you can retrofit the later trash can into the earlier models.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Welcome! You sound simliar to myself. Our family has ~8-9 Vibes/Matrix/Corollas. All but my GT are 1ZZ automatics, too.

Tpollauf and I have matching '04 GTs. If you go to my Byerscrew Garage thread, I have a set of Celica 16s on my 07 base. They do look good on these cars. I prefer 17s with 225/45/17 on the GT, especially if you plan to lower it.

Being located in Utah, you're kinda on an island compared to the rest of the members. But, you don't have to worry about that rust thing us eastcoasters have.

Looking forward to seeing what updates you make to the car(s). That's a nice fleet.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Yeah, that car looks very familiar :lol:

Just wish mine had "moons & tunes" then it would be the perfect car ;)

As far as the seats go, I prefer these '04 seats over the '09 ones. Wife loves them too.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I agree, there seems to be more cushion on the 03-08 seats than the 09. They are decently comfortable for long road trips.

Here is my fusion for reference. It has what Tim's doesn't, Moons & Tunes. I also put in an 03 ECU for lower lift point and to bypass the smog pump (and will remove it in the future if need be).

'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe