Dome Lights Turn on but Won't Turn off When set to Door

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BrandonMassey

Dome Lights Turn on but Won't Turn off When set to Door

Post by BrandonMassey »

Hi, I own a 2006 Moons and Toons FWD Pontiac Vibe and I installed 4 ghost lights/courtesy lights for my four doors and I'm not very good at wiring so I followed a video on YouTube of a guy who tapped into the dome light power and ground wires to power the ghost lights and I accidentally blew a fuse and replaced it, no big deal, then I realised 3 days after installing them, the dome lights and ghost lights would not turn off and I uninstalled all the wires to the ground and power going to the dome lights so it was just the dome light wires again hopefully solving my problem but now the dome lights won't turn off when set to door, I'm almost 100% sure it isnt the switch, the door switches, or the bulbs or something, my whole dash is apart I've been trying to trace the problem but I'm very inexperienced and need help, I've done days of research and nobody has really had my exact problem but I've read somewhere it could be a computer module or something bugging out but I do not know which one it could be.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance!
tpollauf

Re: Dome Lights Turn on but Won't Turn off When set to Door

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Brandon. I can probably "theorize" exactly what you did .. BUT in practicality I can't lead you to the problem. Assuming that there is a dome light relay, you likely "welded the contacts CLOSED" when you blew the fuse. This is due to the excessive current going through the contacts "momentarily" and the spring return mechanism can't release the contacts thus keeping the relay permanently closed and the lights on all the time. Where this relay would be located (if there is one) I have no idea. Others here with more experience on the first gen Vibes may chime in and help. Good luck!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:01 am Welcome to GenVibe Brandon. I can probably "theorize" exactly what you did .. BUT in practicality I can't lead you to the problem. Assuming that there is a dome light relay, you likely "welded the contacts CLOSED" when you blew the fuse. This is due to the excessive current going through the contacts "momentarily" and the spring return mechanism can't release the contacts thus keeping the relay permanently closed and the lights on all the time. Where this relay would be located (if there is one) I have no idea. Others here with more experience on the first gen Vibes may chime in and help. Good luck!
I was also looking for a relay for them but couldn't find one, but that sounds like a good lead, thank you for the reply!
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Mine's not Moon & Tunes so I'm not sure where your dome light switch is, but if were my car I'd be looking at that switch way more carefully. Take it out and bench test it. On my base model, there's no relay, just a cheesy little switch on the dome light that barely works because of dirty contacts.
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

andrewclaus wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm Mine's not Moon & Tunes so I'm not sure where your dome light switch is, but if were my car I'd be looking at that switch way more carefully. Take it out and bench test it. On my base model, there's no relay, just a cheesy little switch on the dome light that barely works because of dirty contacts.
They work fine, both of them started to malfunction at the same time as well, I find it very unlikely that would be the problem but I also checked them to reassure that wasn't it, also the moons and tons package is just an audio upgraded version of the vibe I believe but I just added that in there just in case.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There is a schematic for the interior lights of an 03 Matrix at download/file.php?id=2079 It should be almost the same as in your 06 Vibe, except that in the 03, the dimmer switch also had the door/on control for the dome lights built into it, where on your 06 that switch is part of the dome lights themselves.

In both cases, the dome lights get +12V from the dome fuse. When set to on, the lights get ground directly from a tie to ground. When set to dome, the lights get a ground from something GM calls the "integration relay", which is the light colored plastic box on the under dash fuse block. (light blue in this picture)

I don't know what's inside that integration relay box, but its more than just a hard relay to ground, because if you have power doors/locks, its the integration relay that slowly ramps up from ground to give you the dome light fade effect.

How does the dash "Door Ajar" light behave? With all the doors closed, does it light up, or perhaps light up whenever the dome light is set to door? Does it only light up when a door is actually open? Is it on all the time even when the doors are closed ansd the domes are set to off?
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

joatmon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:15 am There is a schematic for the interior lights of an 03 Matrix at download/file.php?id=2079 It should be almost the same as in your 06 Vibe, except that in the 03, the dimmer switch also had the door/on control for the dome lights built into it, where on your 06 that switch is part of the dome lights themselves.

In both cases, the dome lights get +12V from the dome fuse. When set to on, the lights get ground directly from a tie to ground. When set to dome, the lights get a ground from something GM calls the "integration relay", which is the light colored plastic box on the under dash fuse block. (light blue in this picture)

I don't know what's inside that integration relay box, but its more than just a hard relay to ground, because if you have power doors/locks, its the integration relay that slowly ramps up from ground to give you the dome light fade effect.

How does the dash "Door Ajar" light behave? With all the doors closed, does it light up, or perhaps light up whenever the dome light is set to door? Does it only light up when a door is actually open? Is it on all the time even when the doors are closed ansd the domes are set to off?
this is something I havent covered yet but have noticed, the door ajar lights act normal, I made sure to check them as the problem could have been the door switches but they work fine, thank you for this suggestion, I'll check it when I get home and update you. Much appreciated
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

joatmon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:15 am There is a schematic for the interior lights of an 03 Matrix at download/file.php?id=2079 It should be almost the same as in your 06 Vibe, except that in the 03, the dimmer switch also had the door/on control for the dome lights built into it, where on your 06 that switch is part of the dome lights themselves.

Sorry, forgot to reply to this for a while.. but I pulled a new integration relay box out of a matrix and the dome lights work now but now my map lights dont work at all, my fob doesn't work very well to unlock my car, and when I put the car in park and drive it won't automatically unlock and lock the car.. I'm gonna go and pull another one from another car because I think I just got a damaged box from the matrix or it isn't the right one since its possibly a little different but my dome lights are fixed and ghost lights work now (removed) thank you for the help.
jolt

Post by jolt »

A box from a Matrix may have different options and also different programing for the items it controls then the Vibe does. Check your box for the same part number, get it from a Vibe that is the same year and model of Vibe and you stand a chance that it may be programed the same as your old controller. I know that the door lock/unlocking with the shifter position is programed and can be changed with a factory programmer. On a '09 Vibe there are four different options just for that lock/unlock if I remember right. These control boxes can be tied to the VIN number and will have funny things like you have going on after switching them. I do not know if the Vibe uses the VIN number or not, but some makes and models do. Your best bet is to get a part from a car that is pulled from a car that exactly the same as your car, year, make, model, engine, transmission, etc.....
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

Thanks for backing my conscious up on the box just being different, I've been so unmotivated to go and try and find my car at a junkyard because I didn't know if my hunch was right and all my local junkyards suck when it comes to having my car, never seen a vibe. Today I'll go and look for one again though!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

BrandonMassey wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:55 am all my local junkyards suck when it comes to having my car, never seen a vibe.
Ha.............that's the kinda news we just love to read about here at genvibe :D
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

I am inconsiderate for posting this so late but I saw my post and figured I'd let anyone know who comes across the same problem that I successfully pulled an Integration Relay Module box out of the same year vibe as mine and my car has been working correctly since then, it completely fixed my problem and with enough finess you literally don't need to take the car apart at all, it's located near the fuse panel under the driver side steering wheel and it's kinda tucked away but I just took the little compartment out below the mirror adjuster switch and it helped me remove and install the new one, I'd just describe it as a big fuse that will hurt your fingers lol. Hope this helps anyone else out and thank you to everyone who helped me, I literally at the time didn't think I'd ever fix my car and that would've made me truly unhappy. Again thank you to everyone and I hope this can help someone else!