Brake issue?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Milesb

Brake issue?

Post by Milesb »

So it seems like my vibe goes through rotors to fast. At about 88,000 the front pads and rotors were replaced with the good stuff (done by a professional shop). Around 115,000 the car needed new rotors and the brakes made a squeal when I applied them. The noise was the loudest at around 40-45 and was only there when I initially applied the brakes. I replaced the rotors (lower end rotors) and noticed that one of the metal back plates on the brake pad wasn’t attached to the pad. I put some red adhesive made for brakes and the squeal stopped. The car currently has 130,000 miles and needs new rotor again and the stupid squeal is back. This seems like a short life for rotors. The brakes seem to work well. They don’t pull or feel weak. What should I look for that might be causing the rotors to wear faster than usual? I am planning to replace the rotors, grease the slide pins and leave the metal plate for the brake out this time.
joatmon

Re: Brake issue?

Post by joatmon »

Milesb wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:33 am This seems like a short life for rotors.
I don't really know what to offer other than 15K miles is way too quick to wear out a rotor. While some car models go through brakes faster than others, Vibes, such as your 08, don't really have a history of rapidly eating brake components.

Is the wear even, are the pads cutting deep grooves n the rotor, is there any spot discoloration, any vibration when braking?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

If the _rotor_ is being eaten, then you're not hearing the 'brake pad worn out' sensor. Usually, that starts going first, then you change the brakes. If you don't change the brakes, then the metal of the brake pad starts directly contacting the rotor, which gives the huge rattle/grind/screaming - destroying the rotor.

The first thing I'd check is to see if there's adequate play for the pads in the caliper guide slots. I know my wife's old car required my using a grinder on the pads to get clean travel - the castings, on even the good pads, weren't cleaned up properly. The second is if you have the little chromed metal pad guides that sit in the caliper guides slots, and the third is to make sure that you used adequate lubricant in the guides. (Those chrome clips aren't absolutely necessary, but they sure make a difference if you're in an area vulnerable to corrosion, like by the ocean, or a northern state) The last is to make sure that the caliper slide pins and rubber boots are clean and lubricated.

Another, less likely culprit, is that the rotors are being warped by excessive heat, and just chew the pads up like mad. If so, then see the above anyway.

The only other thing I could think of is if you ride with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas; that kind of person, however, doesn't tend to do their own repairs and maintenance.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

What year is this Vibe? If it has rear drum brakes, are they adjusted correctly? If they're not working, the fronts are doing all the work.
Milesb

Post by Milesb »

andrewclaus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:00 pm What year is this Vibe? If it has rear drum brakes, are they adjusted correctly? If they're not working, the fronts are doing all the work.
The car is a 2008. I am I not sure about the rear brakes. What is a good way to confirm the rear drum brakes are working correctly.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

It has drum brakes. They're supposed to be self-adjusting, but that doesn't always work. If your parking brake works fine, they're probably okay.

If the parking brake does not work, you can look up drum brake adjustment.
MikeReilly

Post by MikeReilly »

I've had problems like this in our 2010, but not in our old 2006. The original pads and rotors lasted about 60k km. Replacement pads started to go after 6 months (under 10k) but got it fixed before the rotors took any damage. I got a tip to prevent this from a guy who did some work for us on a recent road trip. Take a wire wheel to the slot the pads sit in on the calipers - clean it up good and lube it up. Same for the anti rattle clips that sit in there (the lube, not a wire wheel). Apparently the pads can bind up and wear quickly.

I'm not really a fan of the push and turn caliper pistons. They are a PITA to work with and I don't think they provide much in the way of benefits. Not the cause of this problem afaik, but brake related.