Tire Pressure Sensor

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
TechMaxWare

Tire Pressure Sensor

Post by TechMaxWare »

Hello all!

So I've got a bit of an annoying one here. I recently took my vibe in to get it inspected here, and long story short they wouldn't pass it until I replaced two of my back tires. I sorta feel like I might have been a little played here since this business mainly does tires, (Big O' Tires) if anyone happens to care.

Anyway, not to long before I took it there, I had them rotated (elsewhere), so the "front tires" were now rotated towards the back, and of course the back towards the front. At the time, there hadn't seemed to be any issue with that adjustment.
Fast forward to about a week and a half ago(of course from the time of this post), I took my Vibe in to get it inspected at Big O'. They refused to pass it until I at least got my two back tires replaced(which again not long had been the front tires for the past two and a half years).

The problem I have been facing since that has been done is that every time I reset my tire pressure sensor light, it comes back on after I achieve up to 60MPH, which yes I know it's supposed to do.
I have verified that my tire pressures are where they should be, and even gone as far as setting the older tires about 2PSI over the newer ones in order to possible make up for the wear. Yet, still no luck, it just keeps throwing the light before I can even get it 7-8 miles down the road.

To my knowledge, everything else checks out, and I don't notice any abnormal behaviors with my Vibe that might indicate what this light might also. I am wondering at this point if this is something I simply need to do a full reset over? i.e. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes?

Anyone who can offer anything else to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Proud owner of my 2005 Pontiac Vibe aka Vitus!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/benbatten14
andrewclaus

Re: Tire Pressure Sensor

Post by andrewclaus »

Read your Owner's Manual. There's a section on tire pressure monitoring. The reset is easy, with the button on the dash. Be sure you do the last step, which in my manual is on the next page and it's easy to skip.

The 2005 does not have pressure sensors in the tires. It's an indirect system that uses the ABS system speed sensors to detect a change in a diameter.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Do you have the same size tires on all four wheels? Take a tape measure and measure the diameter around the outside of each tire at the tread. Are the measurements close to the same? If not it could be throwing the light on. Do as andrewclaus said and try re-setting the system if the tires measure out the same. Do you have ABS problems or problems with the wheel sensors?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

i believe we answered your question on the FB page too. Did you have any resolution to this?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

zbyers wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:40 am i believe we answered your question on the FB page too. Did you have any resolution to this?
I don't do FB so I was out of that discussion. FB is linked to about every web page but noscripts and uBlock extensions does a pretty good job of stopping FB links and tracking.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

jolt wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 amI don't do FB so I was out of that discussion. FB is linked to about every web page but noscripts and uBlock extensions does a pretty good job of stopping FB links and tracking.
You and tpollauf keep the website going ;)

essentially the discussion and response provided by zane was that if the tires are outside of 2/32 of each other, it could trip the TPMS since the 03-07 has a passive system based on the ABS revolution. 08+ have actual wheel sensors. It was also mentioned that OP ensure they are following the set procedure correctly too, since it is finicky.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe