Replacing Rear View Mirror

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
KingKrab65

Replacing Rear View Mirror

Post by KingKrab65 »

I have a 2003 Vibe. A few months ago I replaced the bulbs for the map lights in my rear view mirror. The driver's side worked intermittently and now has finally stopped working. I looked up inside of the mirror socket area and did not see an easy point of access into it. Would it be easier to just replace the mirror from a salvage yard than to try and fix this light? Also, I did not see an easy way to remove the power wire from the mirror, is there a junction I would have to trace it back to to remove the power wire if I replace the mirror?

Thanks for any help you can give.
2003 Base Vibe
SeattleJeremy

Re: Replacing Rear View Mirror

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I'm not sure how to change the light bulbs, but the wires end in a plastic connector on the passenger side that needs to be pinched on both sides to release.
For the light bulbs, they should be replaceable without removing the rear view mirror. You should be able to find a place in the plastic to insert a small screwdriver and pry the clear plastic off. You should be able to remove the light bulbs with your fingers, it might be a good idea to wear latex or Nitrile gloves for extra gripping power. Then take that bulb to the autoparts store, and find the right replacements.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

I had replaced the bulbs. The light fixture in the mirror itself is the issue. Sorry I wan't clear with that. I will look and see if I can access the wires from the passenger side.

Thank you!
2003 Base Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Those bulbs are not easy to get a grip on.

In your case probably easier to replace the mirror than to try to replace just the light socket part.

One thing to try first is to exercise the switch repeatedly multiple times to see if that might clean up dirty switch contacts.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

That is a good idea. I might see if I can spray a small amount of contact cleaner in there as well. I have a few odds and ends to pick up at the local car yard and will add this to the list.

I still have one question though. The wires that come out of the rear view mirror, do they run down the driver's side A pillar or back the main dome light. I am just curious in case I have to trace the back for the nearest connector.

Thanks for everyone's help!
2003 Base Vibe
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

nearest connector should be in the headliner just above the mirror where the sunroof controls are.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

I don't have a sunroof on my Vibe.
2003 Base Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

The roof light switch.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

on an 03 with no sunroof, the dome light switch is in the dash as part of the instrument light dimmer switch assembly.

I don't know how the wires are run, but I assume they run down the driver's side A pillar, given where they go.

The 03 matrix wiring manual doesn't show a connector between the one on the back of the mirror and the junction box part of the under dash fuse block. Doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere in there, but I'd say probably not.

I think the problem is much more likely to be with the mirror than with hidden chassis wiring, but I have been wrong before
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

I think you are right about the issue being in the mirror. The light socket on the driver's side looks a little worse for wear than the passenger side. I have a feeling that the previous owner had an issue with the bulb or something on that side. When I go to the salvage yard, I will be very careful removing the wiring from the mirror itself so I don't have to trace it down and around.

Thanks for everyone's help!
2003 Base Vibe