Source for 2009-10 Backing plates

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
kb8ymf

Source for 2009-10 Backing plates

Post by kb8ymf »

As with all 'rust belt' cars, all good things come to an end.
Rear GT/AWD backing plates with internal drum brakes finally needed rear
bearing replacement because I've started to detect a slight groan to the bearings.
When trying to separate the bearing from the backing plate!!.....HA. fat chance!
It looked like a pretzel when I was done.
Autozone & RockAuto both have the right side plate for around $40. (Same #'s as OEM)
Chevy dealer has discontinued the left side plate. #19204631 They still have the right though. #19204630
Left side is nowhere to be found. I ended up @ a Toyota Dealership and for a 'tidy sum' of $300 I was able to get one of the last 4 available in the U.S. #46504-02090
Whether that last statement about quantities is true, I can only reiterate what the parts guy told me.
I've seen a few 'online' stores advertising them for less but have not gone that way yet. I was in a time crunch and I opted for the fastest possible route.
Besides a junkyard, which is useless here in Michigan as they will be as bad as the ones on the vehicle, has anyone had any experience with finding them?
Jim
tpollauf

Re: Source for 2009-10 Backing plates

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Jim. What part of Michigan are you from? Also when you do get this repair done (probably already done by now) try to document "before & after" pics for us here. It's just a matter of time before a lot of our Vibe's reach the cancer stage that you've already hit. It is helpful to see what we have to look forward to and possibly prevent it with proper treatment(s). Anyways if you need OEM Toyota parts and are not in a rush, a lot of us here use https://www.sparksparts.com and https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com. Here's a snapshot of the Left splash shield for $229.

I highly doubt that there are only FOUR of these remaining :o That sounds like total BS! I'd buy that there may be fewer than the right side BUT not that many fewer!

Also fill us in on mileage & overall condition of the Vibe. How long have you owned it? We're here to help out where possible.

Ot the three Vibes in my fleet, my son's 2009 Vibe GT has the most rust (still not bad though) as he drives up to Michigan all the time for his job. Saginaw, Clinton twp, McComb, Flint, Dearborn, and soon Gaylord! His poor car ... and he never takes the time to clean it up which makes it worse!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Speedwoble

Post by Speedwoble »

I actually bought a LH backing plate 46504-20070 on eBay from a seller in Dubai for an unbelievable $180 to my door. I was prepared for it to be a scam, but it arrived in just 2 days. Complete with Toyota stickers and made in Japan. There was a small amount of shipping damage to the post the parking brake shoes rest on, but the seller made it right and I was able to bend the little ears back.

Installed with no problems. Also found my way through parking cable replacement(covered in the discontinued parking brake cable thread)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Speedwoble wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 am I actually bought a LH backing plate 46504-20070 on eBay from a seller in Dubai for an unbelievable $180 to my door. I was prepared for it to be a scam, but it arrived in just 2 days. Complete with Toyota stickers and made in Japan. There was a small amount of shipping damage to the post the parking brake shoes rest on, but the seller made it right and I was able to bend the little ears back.

Installed with no problems. Also found my way through parking cable replacement(covered in the discontinued parking brake cable thread)
We ordered ours from Toyota of Canada for like.. $80. I wonder, since the whole rear end setup is all the same on the first gen and second gen, if the backing plates and cables are too.

EDIT: OP was asking regarding 2nd gen vibe. Speedwoble is referring to a first gen GT (per part # mentioned). Those are not the same.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Speedwoble

Post by Speedwoble »

zbyers wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 am
We ordered ours from Toyota of Canada for like.. $80. I wonder, since the whole rear end setup is all the same on the first gen and second gen, if the backing plates and cables are too.

EDIT: OP was asking regarding 2nd gen vibe. Speedwoble is referring to a first gen GT (per part # mentioned). Those are not the same.
My bad, yes, I ordered parts for 1st gen. I am currently working on the front suspension and noticed all the similar parts there. Should not have made assumptions about the rear.
If indeed there are only 4 backing plates in the US, the seller on EBay may be an option as they are clearly not drawing from US parts inventory.
neb

Post by neb »

I'm having this same problem - I need new backing plates / dust shields for both rear brakes on my 09 Vibe.
I found them for the 09 Matrix on a Canadian Toyota parts dealer's website:
https://www.toptoyotaparts.ca/oem-parts ... 4780302020

Will this Matrix part definitely fit the Vibe?
stonesouls

Post by stonesouls »

I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8. I recently changed out the front bearing assemblies and knuckles got lucky found an extremely low mileage garage kept vibe that was rear-ended and purchased the two front assemblades they had about 30,000 on them.

The originals lasted for 130,000 mi, not bad. Of course the backing plates dust Shields we're totally rusted out the assemblies I got looked brand new original paint on them.

I purchased Moog assemblies for the rear and of course the dust shields were rotted out. I replaced them without the dust Shields.

I've read in numerous places online opposing views on the need for these shields for the rears necessary or unnecessary accelerated wear on the rotors and pads without them.

To get to my point, I have located two brand new rear assemblies in Canada for a 2009 Matrix seems the Toyota dealership up there that I linked onto has left and right in stock my rear suspension of course is not independent as most of these are not my question is are they an exact replacement and an exact fit for the Vibe?

I've looked high and low and cannot find any place that cross references parts for these two vehicles looks like that's by design but I've read many parts are interchangeable.

I hope somebody can answer this question for me. Thanks in advance.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

stonesouls wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:16 am I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8. I recently changed out the front bearing assemblies and knuckles got lucky found an extremely low mileage garage kept vibe that was rear-ended and purchased the two front assemblades they had about 30,000 on them.

The originals lasted for 130,000 mi, not bad. Of course the backing plates dust Shields we're totally rusted out the assemblies I got looked brand new original paint on them.

I purchased Moog assemblies for the rear and of course the dust shields were rotted out. I replaced them without the dust Shields.

I've read in numerous places online opposing views on the need for these shields for the rears necessary or unnecessary accelerated wear on the rotors and pads without them.

To get to my point, I have located two brand new rear assemblies in Canada for a 2009 Matrix seems the Toyota dealership up there that I linked onto has left and right in stock my rear suspension of course is not independent as most of these are not my question is are they an exact replacement and an exact fit for the Vibe?

I've looked high and low and cannot find any place that cross references parts for these two vehicles looks like that's by design but I've read many parts are interchangeable.

I hope somebody can answer this question for me. Thanks in advance.
Matrix backing plates for the same trim level would be the same. IE: AWD, GT/XRS, FWD. etc.

stonesouls

Post by stonesouls »

Thanks for the reply. I ordered them from a domestic Toyota dealership. The dealership in Canada didn't have a shipping option for the United States. I received them let's hope they fit. I will post one way or the other.
stonesouls

Post by stonesouls »

Exact fit. Toyota dust Shields with hubs for 2009 Pontiac Vibe were a exact fit. I spent an extra couple hundred dollars getting this right. I hope this helps someone who needs to replace the rear bearings on a 2009 Vibe. 1.8L.
lemieuxhelm

Post by lemieuxhelm »

stonesouls wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:44 pm Exact fit. Toyota dust Shields with hubs for 2009 Pontiac Vibe were a exact fit. I spent an extra couple hundred dollars getting this right. I hope this helps someone who needs to replace the rear bearings on a 2009 Vibe. 1.8L. www.diamondseapoolsandconstruction.com/contact-us
Woww! Thank you for this update and glad to hear that you got it right and perfectly fit. I should check this too.
stonesouls

Post by stonesouls »

Yes like I said, The matrix rear dust shield and hub exact fit. The basic problem is there's no cross reference anywhere online for any of this. Could have saved myself a lot of time and trouble and money. But okay I got the right thing installed good luck to you.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

stonesouls wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:29 pm Yes like I said, The matrix rear dust shield and hub exact fit. The basic problem is there's no cross reference anywhere online for any of this. Could have saved myself a lot of time and trouble and money. But okay I got the right thing installed good luck to you.
But I mean, the cross reference does exist. They are basically the exact same vehicle so it's pretty safe to assume they're cross reference. Brakes are the same, bearings are the same, etc.

neb

Post by neb »

Does anyone know a source for rear dust shields for an 09 Vibe GT 2.4L?

Even a part # to search for would be helpful...

I ordered part # 47803-02020 and 47804-02020 from a Canadian dealer and they did not fit the GT, although they are listed for the 09 Matrix XRS...
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

neb wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:34 am Does anyone know a source for rear dust shields for an 09 Vibe GT 2.4L?

Even a part # to search for would be helpful...

I ordered part # 47803-02020 and 47804-02020 from a Canadian dealer and they did not fit the GT, although they are listed for the 09 Matrix XRS...
Those did not fit because they are made for the Matrix without independent rear suspension. It says so right here in the description.

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/ ... 4780402020

This is the right side with IRS.

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshoho ... NC1nYXM%3D

and the left side with IRS.

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshoho ... dhcw%3D%3D

Jimgrass

Post by Jimgrass »

Want to double check that in fact the parts referred to for rear backing plates from the matrix will fit the vibe awd