04 Rear Subframe Shot

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
transplantyooper

04 Rear Subframe Shot

Post by transplantyooper »

The rear subframe on our 04 is shot, and the driver's rear wheel is canted in as the top control arm has nothing to attach to. I have checked and called dozens of online sites, and nobody has the GM version of the part in stock, and it's no longer available. The Matrix version, however, can still be found at Toyota parts sites. There aren't many of them, but I found a few.

The question I have is before I spend ~$900 on a non-refundable part, will it fit? The part number is 51206-12091.

Thanks.
andrewclaus

Re: 04 Rear Subframe Shot

Post by andrewclaus »

Sorry I don't have a direct answer, since I have no experience (yet) with Matrix and Vibe body parts. But from what I've seen with drivetrain and brake parts, I would trust that it would fit. In my limited knowledge, the cars were made at a joint-venture factory.

But I sure would try to avoid spending $900 on it. I bet you've checked salvage yards? Anyone parting one out nearby on CL?

And I'm curious. Is this a corrosion problem, or collision? Could nearby members (of the car frame, not this forum) also be affected?
transplantyooper

andrewclaus wrote:Sorry I don't have a direct answer, since I have no experience (yet) with Matrix and Vibe body parts. But from what I've seen with drivetrain and brake parts, I would trust that it would fit. In my limited knowledge, the cars were made at a joint-venture factory.

But I sure would try to avoid spending $900 on it. I bet you've checked salvage yards? Anyone parting one out nearby on CL?

And I'm curious. Is this a corrosion problem, or collision? Could nearby members (of the car frame, not this forum) also be affected?
This is a corrosion issue. I live in BFE, and the local salvage yard only has one Vibe with the subframe and that one has the same problem. He has an 06 that is clean but the subframe was taken from that one already.

Based on the Internets, this is a very common issue with those of us that live where they use salt on the roads.

I'm starting to be more concerned about spending $900 only to find out I need to spend another $900 once I start tearing into it and finding a ton of other stuff I need to replace.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Any 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix rear subframe will work just fine.

An early 2009 AWD/GT/XRS rear subframe will also work. I cannot verify if the 2010+ subframe works.

In our 03 AWD, we installed an 09 AWD rear subframe just fine. Another member installed an 03 AWD subframe into is 2009 GT. We found it in a junkyard for $100. His, I think he also found it in a yard for a few hundred bucks.

Use http://www.car-part.com to search yards around you. I'd hate to see you drop $900 on a rear subframe on a car that is 15 years old with probably lots of other rusty parts. :)
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
MichaelJT

Post by MichaelJT »

What was the outcome of this? Did the repair happen? I am in the same predicament. Massive negative camber on the driver side with the upper control arm no place to hook to anymore. Subframe in that area just rusted away. I am interested in the process if anyone has a picture thread.

I Bought this 2005 Vibe AWD new and can't let it die this way.

MichaelJT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Pictures would be very helpful showing this cancer. It seems like corrosion has not been as big of a problem on these cars compared to other cars out there so I'm curious as to the areas that get affected so that I can protect them on my vibes!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MichaelJT

Post by MichaelJT »

The inner mount for the upper control arm is rusted and disintegrating. The subframe in that area is rusted so badly that I poked a hole through it with a screw driver. Difficult to see and get a camera in there. I will attempt to get some clear pictures. If I do find a good subframe to replace it with I will start a thread covering the repair. I live in Northeast Pennsylvania and on a dirt road as well which is 10x worse than just salt alone. The last few years have taken their toll.

MichaelJT

MichaelJT

Post by MichaelJT »

I thought I would put a final post on the rusted rear subframe issue that I posted in November. I did search for a replacement but none were to be found locally. Same rust issue. Indeed most yards didn't even seem to know there was a removable subframe back there at all. made it hard and time consuming to search. I looked in the southern and western states too but got no response back. Or crazy high prices for something that I wasn't even sure was the part that I needed. The Vibe needed some other repairs anyway besides the rust issue. Tires, rear struts, a CV axle boot was ripped, etc. Couple thousand bucks. I was willing to spend the money to fix this car as I believed it had some reliable life left. However time and weather did not cooperate. Snow and cold weather hit the Northeast. I figured that I would have to replace this car in another year or two so I went looking for a replacement.

I ended up buying a new AWD Compact SUV and trading the Vibe. So the Vibe is gone. I wish I could have fixed it and drove it for a few more years but I believe this was the best solution for me and my wife.

Thank you all.

MichaelJT
transplantyooper

While poking around, I realized I never updated this thread. I ended up selling the car for parts and bought an 09 AWD with low miles.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The subframe on that 09 is the exact same part as your 04. :lol:

transplantyooper

zbyers wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:11 am The subframe on that 09 is the exact same part as your 04. :lol:
The Internets didn't make that clear, not did part numbers, calls to many dealers, etc. In any case, the 04 had enough other issues that it wasn't worth messing with. I got a great deal on the 09 (literally an old lady's car) with about 55k miles on it. The back seat had never been sat in. Only thing wrong with it is the stupid radio knob.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Oh, yeah. There is nothing stating they are the same, but through some research and friends, we discovered they are indeed the same. The most logical reason they do not list as a cross-reference is the 09 may have a bracket or something that the 04 does not have, thus giving them different part numbers.

Sounds like you got a nice deal on that. Post some pictures up. We like pictures!

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I will be posting a semi-formal write up on how to remove and replace the rear subframe on these cars. Of course, I will likely miss little steps, and probably not call out all of the info, but it will be a general guide that should be helpful.

ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

By subframe you mean something above the trailing arms?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

ZZvroom wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 pm By subframe you mean something above the trailing arms?
Yes. Here is the write up. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47305

SpotTheDogg

Post by SpotTheDogg »

Hey guys and gals, I just got a text image from my girlfriend of her drivers side rear wheel slammed inward about 15° negative camber. Damn!
Reading through here I got curious to know more about the “early 2009” mentioned. Is this only identifiable by VIN, or do they just mean early as in 2009 but not 2010? I found a 2009 near here listed as rear crossmember complete assembly. It’s kinda expensive so I assume it’s got everything attached, Grade listed as A. Does the crossmember need to be AWD, or is any with independent suspension going to work?

Nicole’s car is a 2005 Vibe AWD. Please help
SpotTheDogg

Post by SpotTheDogg »

SpotTheDogg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:28 pm Hey guys and gals, I just got a text image from my girlfriend of her drivers side rear wheel slammed inward about 15° negative camber. Damn!
Reading through here I got curious to know more about the “early 2009” mentioned. Is this only identifiable by VIN, or do they just mean early as in 2009 but not 2010? I found a 2009 near here listed as rear crossmember complete assembly. It’s kinda expensive so I assume it’s got everything attached, Grade listed as A. Does the crossmember need to be AWD, or is any with independent suspension going to work?

Read the How To by Zybers to find this detail. By this I’m guessing the differential mounting bracket can be bolted to the Celica units.

I will also save my true secret for last… The rear subframe for the 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix is the exact same as the below vehicles:

99-06 Celica GTS (must be GTS as that has independent rear suspension). Downfall of this, is it does not come with the differential mounting bracket.
03-06 Vibe/Matrix AWD
09-10 Vibe/Matrix AWD
09-10 Vibe/Matrix GT/XRS (maybe S model, but their equivalent of the GT)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SpotTheDogg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:13 pm
SpotTheDogg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:28 pm Hey guys and gals, I just got a text image from my girlfriend of her drivers side rear wheel slammed inward about 15° negative camber. Damn!

Read the How To by Zybers to find this detail. By this I’m guessing the differential mounting bracket can be bolted to the Celica units.

I will also save my true secret for last… The rear subframe for the 03-06 AWD Vibe/Matrix is the exact same as the below vehicles:

99-06 Celica GTS (must be GTS as that has independent rear suspension). Downfall of this, is it does not come with the differential mounting bracket.
03-06 Vibe/Matrix AWD
09-10 Vibe/Matrix AWD
09-10 Vibe/Matrix GT/XRS (maybe S model, but their equivalent of the GT)
Glad someone listens. :D

SpotTheDogg

Post by SpotTheDogg »

It has been confirmed that the subframe is done. Nicole is upset and doesn’t want to deal with it, I think I would fix it, but it seems extra hard to find a solid subframe. Anyone have any leads?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

zbyers wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:16 amAs always, www.car-part.com is a fantastic resource for finding parts in junkyards near you.

SpotTheDogg

Post by SpotTheDogg »

Yes, always the first place I check. Problem is on the east coast of Canada they’re all rusty