Kumho Solus TA11?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Jhiller

Kumho Solus TA11?

Post by Jhiller »

I was looking at getting a pair of tires on Walmart's website and it suggests the Kumho Solus TA11 will fit my 2003 base model Vibe. I will be replacing the front pair first. I have Linglong's Crosswind Eco Touring tires on it now. I drive 50 miles each way to work every day, about half on 2-lane and half on interstate, except for mondays, when the entire drive is on 2-lanes as I call on schools as part of my job. Anyway, I have had pretty good luck with the Crosswinds, although for the first 1,000 miles or so they were REALLY noisy from about 52mph up to about 60mph. After a break in, they have been pretty quiet overall. After 50,000 miles, they are starting to show their age in how they grip on wet pavement.

Back to the Kumho tires... there's a local body shop about 2 blocks from my house that has started selling tires, and he quoted me $69.00 each for the Solus TA11, which is about 11 dollars less than walmart's price on the tire, which seems like a great deal to me. Does anyone here have any experience with these tires? They seem to get an overall good rating on Tire Rack. Not really outstanding in any field other than dry braking, which they best the other tires they were compared against by a big margin on. And they rated well in snow, I we do have here in southern Illinois at times. I am in deep southern Illinois, think half an hour north of the Kentucky line, and I work in Kentucky. For the price, at a 75,000 mile treadwear warranty, I don't see how I can go wrong.
Caretaker

Re: Kumho Solus TA11?

Post by Caretaker »

No direct experience with these tires, but it is obvious that Tire Rack likes them which is good enough for me. I have had other Kumhos and am a fan. I have read that some of the new ones are a bit wimpy on the sidewall rubber and affect cornering. At the price point you quoted, I say go for it.
Jhiller

Re: Kumho Solus TA11?

Post by Jhiller »

So I just got back from getting the Kumho tires installed on the front. Will get a set for the back next month... only working part time at the moment due to my work have a war with our insurance over a building flood that was caused by our landlord...long story, but only working part time forces me to not buy all 4 at once. Anyway, I took the car out for about 4-5 miles just to get a feel for the tires, and right off the bat they are a LOT quieter than the Crosswind Eco Touring tires have ever been on the car, huge difference, so that's a positive. Road feel seems good too, although as I said, I've only driven them about 5 miles. I hope they hold up as well as their warranty indicates they should, that 75,000 mile warranty is appealing, for sure.