How to add steering wheel buttons to an 09-10 base

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
MacGyver

How to add steering wheel buttons to an 09-10 base

Post by MacGyver »

Materials needed:
  • New clockspring: Part number 84306-0E010 Genuine part: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281716543382
  • Steering pad buttons: Part number 84250-02200 (ebay) or ALTERNATE with an extra button
  • PAC Audio SWI-CP5 steering wheel interface. The SWI-RC or Axxess ASWC or Scosche SWC1 should also work. I recommend PAC because they invented steering wheel controls!
  • Aftermarket radio (this might work with the factory radio but since I do not advocate the use of factory radios, I have no comment)
  • Sharp utility knife
  • Jeweler's flathead screwdriver (for prying up the retaining clip on the harness so you can insert the additional wires)
  • Guts to cut the plastic wings off the airbag. Remember it's basically a bomb on your workbench, and you can't undo this.
  • Spare wiring harness from a junkyard
Most of the instructions can be found at http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/326-c ... 011-a.html but there are a few additions and clarifications I wanted to make for this mod.

DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE STEERING WHEEL ANGLE SENSOR FROM THE OLD CLOCKSPRING.

The biggest deal is removing the "wings" off the sides of the airbag to make way for the steering wheel controls. The plastic cover cannot be removed from the airbag itself, but once you remove the airbag from the car, you can use a sharp knife to repeatedly score a line following the grooves, then when the groove is deep enough, cut the rest of the way through with the knife. If you screw up or do it perfectly, there's really no going back. You'll also have to trim some of the ribs off the back using a knife or side cutters. I've included two pics of the backs of the base airbag and GT airbag so you can see the difference.

The steering pads fit firmly into place, and then can be further secured with a bolt in a pre-threaded hole in the steering wheel. I found a couple of bolts in my parts bin that fit, but it's something like an M4 or M5 bolt. Length isn't critical, they can be extra long and won't interfere with anything.

The big question of course is, what about the wires from the clockspring to the radio? I've included a pic that shows the wires you have to add and where to add them. Then you can solder and shrinkwrap to longer wires back to the steering wheel interface module. Colors don't matter, just make sure the wire goes to the right place. I got my wires from other Vibes at the junkyard for free, which is important since the metal pins on the end are small and delicate and they break, so get extras. Wires from 1st or 2nd gen will work, and probably other Toyota's, too. Sorry I do not have pin-outs for adding steering wheel controls to a factory base radio.

There is an optional 12V illumination line, but the LEDs are really bright orange and are distracting. They don't seem to dim with the dimmer knob, either. They are tiny and soldered to the PCB in each pad, so not worth changing them. So I'm probably going to disconnect them.
Attachments
View with bottom of steering wheel cowl removed, passenger side view
View with bottom of steering wheel cowl removed, passenger side view
sw.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Close up of wiring plug on bottom of clockspring
Close up of wiring plug on bottom of clockspring
E11x.png (126.27 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Completed project.
Completed project.
1a.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Last edited by MacGyver on Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:57 am, edited 11 times in total.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Re: How to add steering wheel buttons to an 09-10 base

Post by MacGyver »

Airbag example photos.
Attachments
airbags-covers-toyota-matrix-06-07-08-09-10.jpg
airbags-covers-toyota-matrix-06-07-08-09-10.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
air-bag-cover-toyota-corolla-06-07-08-09-10.jpg
air-bag-cover-toyota-corolla-06-07-08-09-10.jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

The PAC Audio SWI-CP5 offers both desktop PC and smartphone apps to configure the buttons easily. This is the button mapping I used, choosing a 2010 Corolla to start with. With this config, holding down the source button turns the radio off, and holding down the voice button activates smartphone voice recognition. Tapping the voice button quickly again returns the radio to playing tunes.
Attachments
cp5.JPG
cp5.JPG (50.1 KiB) Viewed 7685 times
Last edited by MacGyver on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Night view. Those LEDs are bright!

In the pic is an Ultra-Gauge EM Plus (the blue thing) and the HU is a Pioneer AVH-X4600BT.
Attachments
night.jpg
night.jpg (71.98 KiB) Viewed 7684 times
2009 Vibe Base
pakong

Post by pakong »

Most excellent documentation Macgyver! :D I'm assuming that you cut the molex connector wires from the donor vehicle and inserted them into your own vehicle? If that is true, then it would be possible to purchase male/female Molex connectors, add the 18 gauge wire and replicate what you've done? I'm going to get a Molex kit and some wire and run it from that harness in your picture back to the 14 pin factory harness at the stereo to bring it back to factory.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Circuit-Conne ... U6Nmi#rwid
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

pakong wrote:I'm assuming that you cut the molex connector wires from the donor vehicle
Yes, I just cut off the whole molex connector and about six inches of wire, popped up the donor molex retaining clip with a micro screwdriver, and then pulled the wires out. Then reinserted them into the existing molex connector and press down the retaining clip. I have a bunch of these things in my workbench, but none of them would fit into the molex, so that's why I went to the junkyard. The ones in your ebay link will most likely not work, as they don't look the same.
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Very nice tutorial and write up Mac :D Just curious if those of us who already have left steering wheel controls could only add the right controls using our existing clockspring? I like the dual control layout. Most all manufacturers are doing this now. Was sort of disappointed when the vibe only offered controls on one side of the wheel. Also, at pin 12, could you simply put the correct resistor in series to diminish the illumination? I would think so.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

tpollauf wrote:Very nice tutorial and write up Mac :D Just curious if those of us who already have left steering wheel controls could only add the right controls using our existing clockspring? I like the dual control layout. Most all manufacturers are doing this now. Was sort of disappointed when the vibe only offered controls on one side of the wheel. Also, at pin 12, could you simply put the correct resistor in series to diminish the illumination? I would think so.
If you look up part 84250-02200, it comes with both right and left sides wired together. You replace both because they share wires. You don't need to add any wires from the clockspring to the radio if you already have steering wheel controls, as the phone buttons work off the same wire SW2 that the mode button does.

I'm probably going to disconnect the illumination wire entirely, mainly because the orange yellow color is too distracting. Everything else in the car is white, save for the traction control button and power window switch.
2009 Vibe Base
outcastwzl

Post by outcastwzl »

Hello, I did this mod on my 2009 AWD vibe. It believe it's a base model but not sure, I opted for a whole new leather wrapped steering wheel with both side controls. I also cut off the side wings from my old airbag. I've installed the new clock spring. I'm just confused about what to do now and get the controllers working. I don't believe I have the mansoon upgrade or they would be working. How do I do the wiring to the radio from the bottom of the clockspring and how do I tell if my existing oem radio supports it?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

outcastwzl wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:50 pm Hello, I did this mod on my 2009 AWD vibe. It believe it's a base model but not sure, I opted for a whole new leather wrapped steering wheel with both side controls. I also cut off the side wings from my old airbag. I've installed the new clock spring. I'm just confused about what to do now and get the controllers working. I don't believe I have the mansoon upgrade or they would be working. How do I do the wiring to the radio from the bottom of the clockspring and how do I tell if my existing oem radio supports it?
I use an aftermarket radio. I'm not sure how to make the factory radio work with steering wheel controls, particularly since it does not support Bluetooth that you'd use the phone controls with.
2009 Vibe Base
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

MacGyver wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:29 am
outcastwzl wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:50 pm Hello, I did this mod on my 2009 AWD vibe. It believe it's a base model but not sure, I opted for a whole new leather wrapped steering wheel with both side controls. I also cut off the side wings from my old airbag. I've installed the new clock spring. I'm just confused about what to do now and get the controllers working. I don't believe I have the mansoon upgrade or they would be working. How do I do the wiring to the radio from the bottom of the clockspring and how do I tell if my existing oem radio supports it?
I use an aftermarket radio. I'm not sure how to make the factory radio work with steering wheel controls, particularly since it does not support Bluetooth that you'd use the phone controls with.
I'm diving into this right now and I understand this thread (and above post) are a little stale but here goes anyway. First of all, big shout out to MacGyver. Thanks man!

I think factory radios are probably set up to use steering wheel controls but it can get messy.

This thread demonstrates how to add buttons to the steering wheel that talk to an upgraded clock spring. Now things get dicey. If you look at MacGyver's pics, the lower connector (12 pin in his second and third pic) on the clock spring gets three (or four with light) new connectors. I used the idea from Toyotanation's thread of an old analog cable from a CD player in an old computer for female connectors. Those little brass female receptacles that go in your connector are tricky to install in the 12 pin shell connector. This is where things get tricky. MacGyver (and others) are not using the car's wiring harness because the harness on cars with no steering wheel controls don't have conductors in the harness to support them. Instead, they run their own wires to a steering wheel interface which then talks to their stereos. In theory, you don't need a steering wheel interface if you have a factory radio. I'm betting but not 100% sure that factory radios in these cars will respond to steering wheel controls if you know where to connect to the factory radio (another topic for another thread but the ToyotaNation thread is a start). I'm going with an aftermarket radio so I'm in the steering wheel interface box game (PAC SWI-CP2). I would have used MacGyver's choice but they are no longer available.

You also have choices in terms of which steering wheel buttons you get and from whom. Current shipping and climate persuaded me to order buttons from local (US) vendor from ebay. Many options are available and most have more buttons (5 on left, 3 on right) than what came from the factory on Vibes (5 on left only). If you do have a factory stereo, you have no need for the phone buttons on the right anyway... So like MacGyver intimates, get a darn aftermarket radio. You'll be much happier being able to add backup camera, XM Support, phone support, mapping and and and. If you are going with a factory radio, find a Vibe in a junk yard with the controls (GT has them) and you'll get the correct clock spring and left side only controls (no phone support). You can also get the female receptacles from the car's wiring harness.... actually get 6 or 8 inches of the car's harness and just use it.

I'm not done yet (stuff's on the way) but will post my results when done. What I've got coming is a Kenwood DDX6906S (middle of the road head unit), PAC SWI-CP2, New Clock Spring and left/right controls for steering wheel.

A word about Clock Springs: I was discussing my project with someone and they had a hard time understanding what a Clock Spring is. The clock spring is the way that a rotating steering wheel can keep an electrical connection to the car intact. If taken apart, you'd see a ribbon cable with multiple conductors wound in a circle several times like a clock spring. One end stays with the steering wheel and one end stays with the car. It's just a slick way to maintain a reliable connection between your car and this set of stuff: horn, air bag, cruise control, steering wheel controls. The factory clock springs in our "base Vibes" don't have enough conductors to manage steering wheel controls. We have to "upgrade" them to accommodate extra connections. Our older ones only needed to worry about horn, cruise control and air bag. The new ones are packaged with an orange clip that holds the moving part of the clock spring in place until you install. Be very careful here. If that thing lets go before you tie it in place, you're unlikely to have a successful install and may need to buy another. More later this week....
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice write up so far. Don't tease us now .... looking forward to updates and LOTS of pics. Not a bad post for being almost an eight year member, seeing how rarely you post :o Now get more involved here and join up with the rest of us. Good luck ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm Nice write up so far. Don't tease us now .... looking forward to updates and LOTS of pics. Not a bad post for being almost an eight year member, seeing how rarely you post :o Now get more involved here and join up with the rest of us. Good luck ;)
aye.. I've got most of the parts I need - tomorrow (May 1, 20), I should have everything-ish. I have complicated things. I am a Sirius XM guy. I want to use the existing antenna and not glue that ugly wart on my roof that Sirius gives you with the SXV300v1. I ordered an antenna extension cable (20 ft). But I digress.
So far I've gotten the head unit to fire up and behave mostly. I need to wire the backup camera w/associated reverse switch, Sat antenna, microphone, parking brake switch, blah blah blah. More to come. I currently have many panels removed and am pondering sound deadening. This is like working on plumbing.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Well, I seem to have really done it now... The new clock spring I ordered does not have a "steering sensor". I assume this is for traction control or recording to the black box what the inputs were "before the crash" :o
I have to check on a number of things but here's a short list:
  • Can I return it? Prolly not
  • Did I order the correct part number?
  • Is the steering sensor necessary?
  • Do some '09 Vibes not have a steering wheel sensor?
  • Will the car throw a code with out it?
  • Will the car start/run without it?
  • Will this impact my emissions check - they hate lights on dash
Some notes along the way....
Getting steering wheel off required a puller for me. I was afraid to apply more "two handed" force to get it off. When the puller did it's job, the noise was a loud sharp pop. Some steering wheels may be impossible to get off by hand. The two threaded holes in the steering wheel have a metric thread that is kind of a mystery to me. I tried three different thread types and settled on something that required more effort than I liked to tighten. I screwed them in 3/4 of an inch or more and they held but I half expected I would be drilling/tapping my own holes or enlarging the existing ones. This one is probably just my ignorance.
Air bag electrical connector removal requires you lift these little flaps away on the connector before the connector will pull straight off/away. I'll do pictures later on this.
Getting the bolts loose for horn/airbag steering wheel part was not easy. It's T30 Torx and would be very challenging with a tool that had the form factor of a screwdriver. A 3/8 socket or tool with lots of leverage or hammering rotation (rattle gun) would be nice. I used a dewalt 18v impact driver (handiest tool purchase in a long long time and I bought it a long time ago).

Anyone with help on my steering wheel sensor quandry? Ahhhhhh!
jolt

Post by jolt »

The clock spring in my '09 was changed under a recall. All '09-'10 have electric power steering. The angle senor does feed back to the electric power steering. Is it needed; yes. You will be getting codes for your steering controls if this is not in the right position and your electric steering assist motor will not be working properly (assisting when it should not and not assisting when it should). The car may be a hand full trying to hold on the road if this is very far off.

All parts in the steering system need to be marked and put back in place where they came from exactly. If you have changed the indexing of the sensor or moved the steering shaft, you will have to have the parts re-indexed and the steering calibrated so the power steering does not pull to one side or the other.

Other factory cautions:
Caution: When removing the steering wheel, use only the specified steering wheel puller. Do not hammer on the end of the steering column shaft. Hammering could loosen the plastic injections which maintain the steering column rigidity.

Other may chime in here about the steering column noise on '09-'10, so heed the above factory warning.

1. LOCK the steering column and verify the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.

4. Remove the steering wheel nut.
5. Put match marks (1) on the steering wheel assembly and on the steering main shaft.

You are past these points, so..........
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

DOH! The steering sensor aka angle sensor is a separate part and is removable from the original clock spring. Hurrah! Maybe I missed that in the write-ups. Pics later. Bottom line: I have the correct part and I needed to transplant the steering sensor to the new clock spring. That was a head scratcher for a while. As I look at it now it's obvious. :roll:

Thanks for the excellent info jolt. I was in a bad place and needed a place to cry :cry: Your info and a little more research have given me confidence that this could still end well.
BTW - my steering wheel has never been straight in the first place but seems to otherwise behave. I'll be putting it back to where it was but I wonder why it's a bit cocked at cruising speeds. I know I have "non-matching tires" and the more I take this beast apart, the more I realize it's been apart before in many places - odd. I found a 10mm open end / box, missing/adrift panel fasteners, missing bolt on head unit, maintenance notes on the back of the original head unit and other evidence that this car has been violated. Well, the good news is that it has only 51K miles and appears in pretty good shape. So far I love it and I'm trying to get "comfort" with stuff like steering wheel controls, backup camera, hands free phone and possibly sound deadening. Work and family stuff are really impacting my "play time" with the car :( but I'll get to it :).
Juniortwin

Post by Juniortwin »

Great page!, I was able to make it work ! thank you so much for this,

QUestion?? where I connect the Green cable for the illumination ?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.