Automatic transmission fluid type

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
john188971

Automatic transmission fluid type

Post by john188971 »

Good morning!
New to this forum!
I just purchased a 2006 base vibe last week.
67k it was a Chicago car. 95% city driving.
So true to the way I do things. I'm checking and changing everything!
So my question.
What automatic transmission fluid do I use?
I've read alot of the posts but most of them are 10-12 years old. There has been tons of advancements in oils in that amount of time. Someone posted a gm tsb stating T-IV is the proper fluid. However the tsb was dated 2008. When I Google this it brings up several multi use fluids, leading me to believe T-IV isn't required with today's synthetic options.
I've switch to Mobil 1 5w-30 and changed the spark plugs. Changed the serpentine belt. Noticed my oil pan is leaking a bit (will fix next oil change).
If need be I'll use the T-IV fluid but if there's something as good or better out now I'd like to use that.
Thanks in advance for any help
Derf

Re: Automatic transmission fluid type

Post by Derf »

Thier have been many advancements and reformulations in oils over the past few years. Many oil manufcatures will label their oil with combatible with "xxx" oil or meets or exceeds OEM specification "xxx" When shopping for oil look for those on the label. This helps ensure the additives and properites of the oil are compatible with what is currently in your vehicle. Been using multi spec fluid for many years without issue, the key is to make sure the spec of your vehicle is listed on the label.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
FeelTheVibe2004

Post by FeelTheVibe2004 »

I recently bought some trans fluid from GM for about 7$ a bottle.
It's no longer named T-IV though...it's branded Dexron-VI.
Either way I just added about 250ml worth...no biggie.
But, in the future, I will go to Toyota for fluids. :)
When asked, the parts clerk told me that the number change was just to tell old stock from new stock & that the old version.

Oil has a shelf life of about 3-5 years for unopened bottles, depending on the type. 5 seems excessive, so I usually try to get my oil from reliable big stores that have big turnover as opposed to smaller shops. Once opened, I try to use it up within the year. :geek:
Last edited by FeelTheVibe2004 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Toyota Matrix XR
1996 Honda Accord EX
john188971

Post by john188971 »

Thanks for all the responses.
Castrol transmax comes up as an exact match for the vibe at advanced auto. Full synthetic. On sale currently for $4.00 a quart.
Price really isn't an issue. Availability more so. I have a mighty vac that I use to remove oil from pan, then refill and run for a minute . I do that 2-3 times. Then drop the pan and change filter. I'm going to be doing more highway than city driving. Quite a change from its previous owner. Any other suggestions, maintenance I'm missing?
Thanks again
John
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

The parts clerk at the GM dealership was selling parts and/or fluids for a GM car. Your car is a Toyota. Go to a Toyota dealership.
Don't put anything with the word "Dexron" in any part of your car.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
john188971

Post by john188971 »

So the Castrol transmax should be fine? Says it's for Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. And no where does it say dextron!
I'm going to get some fluid today, but I'm tossed up on filter. May be a online order.
FeelTheVibe2004

Post by FeelTheVibe2004 »

If it specifically states so, I wouldn't worry, unless the specified otherwise in the instructions.
As for the oil filters...generally speaking, dealer parts are usually of better quality and durability.
I always use genuine filters for the engine. I recall a video of someone dissecting multiple brands of filters...wasn't impressed by other ''lower end'' filters.

Although, many parts are waaaay overpriced and don't justify the price, that's not really the case for a genuine toyota oil filter compared to aftermarket filters like FRAM for my cabin filter, but that's about it.
Compare between GM & Toyota, there's usually a dollar or two difference.
My 2 cents. :)
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Toyota Matrix XR
1996 Honda Accord EX
Mark

Post by Mark »

When I do a change on my two Vibes I go to the local Toyota dealership and buy a case of the T-IV fluid.

Would not go to the GM dealer, and would definitely not use Dexron fluid.

I do two drain and fills a week or two apart, it takes 3.5 qts each. I picked up a filter/gasket kit from NAPA some time ago for the 04, but when I looked at it and saw that the "filter" was really just a screen, and not a particularly fine one at that, there was absolutely no reason to bother. Some day if I really have to drop the pan for something else I'll have a new filter and gasket handy, but I wouldn't drop the pan just to change the filter.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Forgive me for posting a link to another forum, but I use this list as a reference for parts and fluids: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9 ... hread.html

Based on the recommendations there, I used Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc when I did my fluid change. Got it quite cheap from Wal-Mart.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
john188971

Post by john188971 »

Mark,
You were right on target!
On a whim I called my local toyota dealer. They sold me a case for $66 with tax. I asked about the filter. He said "well if your not having any troubles we recommend leaving the filter. It's just a screen "
So that's what I just did. Sucked out 4 quarts from the dip stuck tube and refilled twice. I have enough to do it 1 more time but the fluid looks really good now.

Maybe I should start another thread. But a couple more questions for the masters on this forum.
During my detailed inspections I found oil on top of my valve cover. Seems like coil pack gaskets are leaking?
Also seems to have a little oily sludge, looking at the engine from the front, under valve cover on left side of engine. Didn't seem like valve cover but not 100% on that.
I'm not really good at checking my oil periodically. If it don't leak, don't burn, why check it! I do all my own services so I'm the first guy that will know when somethings leaking! Can't use that thinking currently, so I want to rectify it!
Let me know if I should start a new thread.
Thanks again

Oh ya forgot to mention. Mobil makes T-IV trans fluid for toyota. It's mobil 3309 I believe. Same price.
trb

Post by trb »

Don't know if you realized it, but there is a drain plug on the transmission. So you don't have to use the vacuum pump, and you can drain out all of the trans fluid and any stuff that settles in the bottom of the pan. And I used only T-IV on my son's 06 Vibe, and plan to change it again this summer. I have a full case of fluid so he will be set for several years.

We are using synthetic Mobil 1 in my 03 GT since the prior owner used only it for about 180K miles, and Mobil 1 filters. On my son's car we use Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 with the Toyota filters or K&N, which I get with the oil in a package deal sometimes.

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
john188971

Post by john188971 »

Trb,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm aware of the drain plug. Much faster with mighty vac. Sucked it out twice, refilled twice and test drive. 30 minutes. The vacuum ia actually the recommended tool to change engine oil in a Mercedes Benz. I had a 2005 e320 cdi up till last summer.
I did also order a 10 pack of crush washers for future oil changes.
Thanks to all for the advice.
I'll start another thread about the other issues.
SWontario

Post by SWontario »

I had some "dealer fun" when trying to get Toyota's answer and pricing for Toyota T-IV trans fluid
Toyota Guelph: "Yeah sure, T-IV for both the transmission and power steering. $12 a litre" - I said my car was an '06 Matrix
Toyota Orangeville: "Can I have your VIN?" Not sure why they need a VIN to tell me what trans fluid to use, but whatever. Gave it. "Oh it doesn't give me too much here, can you hold a minute?"

Probably had a flashing screen come up, *Warning - Pontiac Vibe!!*

"You should use Dextron"

Yeah, fcuk off Orangeville.