03 Vibe AC/Fan switch illumination

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
SirLinux

03 Vibe AC/Fan switch illumination

Post by SirLinux »

Anyone ever replaced one of the bulbs illuminating the fan/ac switch controls? Looking at the mounting I can't figure out how to remove the bulb. If anyone has done before, does it twist out? It appears to but I am reluctant to grab it with my gas pliers too tightly and break it? It is hard to grab with fingers since no enough protrudes to get a good grip.

Regards.
Attachments
vibe-bulb.PNG
vibe-bulb.PNG (78.55 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
ColonelPanic

Re: 03 Vibe AC/Fan switch illumination

Post by ColonelPanic »

It's a PITA to change these bulbs. From the front side, a pick or screwdriver to the base to twist it worked for me. To install the new bulb, I had to hold it in the socket with one hand and use the pick from the front side to twist it into the socket.

Be VERY careful when installing the new bulbs, they'll easily fall down into the dash never to be found again. Some have used paper/etc to catch them on the way down. I probably have 4-5 bulbs down there waiting to be discovered. :lol:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
SirLinux

Post by SirLinux »

Thanks. Well I found that they do twist and as you stated "be careful". Before I saw your reply I dropped the bad one into the dash when I loosened it up. I also took out the good one just to get a look at what it was since the other went into the abyss.
What a bad design to say the least. These things have to be inserted and removed from the back of the mount! If I could figure out how to remove that white mounting bracket it would be easier. It appears it clips in from each side but I can't see how it does. I am afraid to put too much pressure and break where it mounts.

Can you tell me where can I get replacement bulbs? I am thinking it might be better to replace these with leds rather than the incandescents.
Attachments
vibebezel.jpg
vibebezel.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
vibebulb.jpg
vibebulb.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

You may be able to stick your fingers under the edges of the shifter console where it meets the carpet and pull the side out slightly. I was able to retrieve one bulb that way.

The bulbs can be purchased from Toyota, P/N 90072-02005 (cheaper option) or GM P/N 88970578 (very expensive.) The local Toyota dealer had to order them. The base looked slightly different and at first I thought they wouldn't twist into place correctly but I later found I just wasn't being forceful enough with them. :lol:

If you go the LED route, a Neowedge 4mm style should go in there. I did try to install some from Super Bright LED's (link) Unfortunately though I bought extras I still managed to lose all but one into abyss. Having to take the bulb out and reinstall so the polarity was correct gave me more opportunities to lose 'em.

Whichever bulb you go with, definitely buy plenty of spares. ;) Good luck!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
JackWade

Post by JackWade »

Hi does 90072-02005 fit a 2006 vibe? When I check Toyota for 2006 matrix it says it doesn’t match. The GM part says it fits but out of stock/discontinued. Thanks. My left backlight is out for the directional controls.
2006 1.8 1ZZ-FE Moonstone gray with all options such as Moon & tunes package