Front Bumper "What is this?"

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Chiadog

Front Bumper "What is this?"

Post by Chiadog »

I'm planning to start the repair of the deer damage to the front of my 05 vibe soon. It looks to be a very simple repair as I was told in my original deer damage post. I will have to (repair?) what I would call the passenger side front frame rail extender. It appears to be pushed into the frame rail approx. 0.5 0.75 inches further than the drivers side unit. I'm guessing these frame rail extenders are used to enable mounting various different fascias onto the Corolla frame.
Does anyone know what this part is actually called? And does it just extend the frame a fixed amount by being bolted in place or does it have a cushioning function of some sort for the front bumper? Do I need a new one? Or just rebuild and re-bolt in position? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Chiadog
http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/ccind ... sort=3&o=0
Chiadog

Re: Front Bumper "What is this?"

Post by Chiadog »

bump, C'mon, throw a dog a bone!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Which part in that picture are asking about?

bumper.jpg
bumper.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

You know, chiadog: I would just shim it. No one will see it anyway. Got some plywood lying around?

And there is another idea: go to a body shop for a free estimate. They will list the parts needed.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Are you talking about the bumper itself? The plastic on the outside is the bumper fascia.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

go to a good parts site like this that has diagrams, plug in your vehicle then go to the front end body views
often if you click on the exact parts, you get some detailed specs like bolt sizes, etc
you can use the gm part numbers to search for used on ebay if need be

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

joatmon wrote:Which part in that picture are asking about?

bumper.jpg
Thanks joatmon, that makes things clearer! The part I am asking about is part "B". It appears to be pushed about 1" into the front frame rail, which is part "C".
And thanks everyone for the good ideas and the website link!
I am busy with other things now, so not sure when I'll get to this.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Its hard to tell from the line drawings on the parts site, but I think you are looking for seems to be called either a "front bumper/fascia mounting bracket" or a "front bumper impact bar bracket'. But confirm that yourself, don't just order that part number only based on my guess

e never really looked at that part. If it is designed so that it can be pushed back into the rail on impact and not be damaged, and just loosening it and repositioning it will work, then I'd do that. If it looks damaged in any way, then I'd probably drop the $ on a new one, figuring that it is part of the shock absorption/crumple mechanics. If damaged, it probably sacrificed itself to prevent more traumatic damage to harder to replace parts. You hit a deer once, you may hit another, or something else.

EDIT - thanks kumquat for noticing my error Image
Last edited by joatmon on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

That seems to be from an 09. I think we're looking at this:
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/p ... 70814.html

Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

THANKS GUYS! Great sleuthing! I had been unable to find this on the site. I believe the part is part # 88970814.
Of course, it is the more expensive one ($46). I will try to find a good one at the junkyard - wish me luck, and thanks again for help!
chiadog